Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 10316 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »
Personally, I'm still hopeful they will have Sansa on the throne before it's all over.  I really hated her character for seasons, and over the years she has turned into the one person on this show worthy of the throne.

Also, I want to see the actors performance during Cercei's death at the hand of Jamie.  It was prophesied that her brother would kill her, she always assumed it would be Tyrion; but in my mind, it has to be Jamie.

Also also, yeah, CleganeBowl.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2019, 02:45:51 PM »

Also, I want to see the actors performance during Cercei's death at the hand of Jamie.  It was prophesied that her brother would kill her, she always assumed it would be Tyrion; but in my mind, it has to be Jamie.

Also also, yeah, CleganeBowl.

I feel that Jamie will become the Queenslayer as well. And afterwards I would love to see him throw away his sword, totally renouncing his life as a knight, a Lannister, a Lord, everything. The final shot of Jamie should be him walking away into the sunset, with the implication that he's going to start a new simple life as a farmer, merchant, tavern keeper, anything. But he is DONE with the nobility and all it's bullshit. He's had enough. An attitude similar to that of the Hound.

In a lesser show he would share that new life with Brienne. But that's not this show. And I don't think Brienne's gonna survive the series, anyway.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »
I have Cercei and Sansa in GOT fantasy league and hope the last few shows are nothing but them kill/fucking/eating everything in all possible ways while making all the snappy one liners. So many points...

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2019, 02:59:33 PM »
It's amazing to me how much the structure of this show echoes that of Babylon 5!

Both shows have ancient enemies returning after thousands of years in accordance with prophecy (okay, that's a standard genre trope, I know). The Shadows/Night King.

In both shows there is a concurrent civil war, President Clark/Cersei. In both shows the ancient enemy is defeated first, with the internal war dealt with in subsequent episodes.

In both shows the lead character (John/Jon!) dies and is resurrected to become the leader of uniting forces against the enemy.

There are more similarities. Both GRRM and B5's JMS acknowledge the influence of Tolkien. And both worked together on the 1980's CBS version of Twilight Zone. I wonder what they talked about together on lunch breaks and how much those discussions shaped their subsequent works....

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2019, 08:36:29 AM »
Very interesting observation, Paul. I've read that Martin has cited the Amber series as a huge influence. But that's mostly about the house infighting and power battles for a throne. Wouldn't B5 and GOT also map onto LotR?

Ancient enemy returns (Sauron)
Civil war (say Gandalf vs Saurman)
Lead character comes back from the dead and unites forces (Gandalf)

Granted the civil war (Saurman) was put down first before the defeat of the ancient evil.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
I've been thinking about what the minimum changes are that could be made to make me more satisfied with the episode. I think that if Jamie had died defending Brienne and Jon had had a clear active role in holding off the dragon so that Arya could get at the Night King (maybe the two get pinned down together and briefly agree to a strategy), I would have been satisfied.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2019, 11:30:25 AM »
For me, I think I just wanted this episode to have serious consequences for where the story goes from here.  As it is, we lost only ancillary characters (at this point at least) and a bunch of no names whose deaths I'm sure will have no impact on the amount of troops Dany and Jon have during the next battle if the show decides they need an equal army to Cersei.  I also wanted to understand the Night King more, but that would have been better served in the lead up to this episode.  As it is, the unstoppable army of the dead the show has been saying is the biggest threat to ever face Westeros, who will usher in the LONG Night... lasted one night at relatively little cost.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »
I believe there were five characters lost whom I recognized. One was a major character. Some I’m  not sure of.

The biggest consequence will be the loss of significant numbers of fighting forces, especially the unsullied and Dothraki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2019, 11:45:18 AM »
On the subject of shitty military strategy...why are they going after Cersei?  I mean, I know that the goal is to get her off the throne, and she does need to be taken off the throne.  But she's paying the Golden Company from borrowed funds.  Jamie knows this.  Tyrion and Jamie both know that she doesn't have much income at all to pay off those loans.  Why march now?  Sit back, send ravens to watch and when the Golden Company packs up their bags (and/or overthrows Cersei themselves at the behest of the Iron Bank), then start marching.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2019, 12:17:23 PM »
I think they aired the eps out of order.   :laugh:
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2019, 02:19:29 PM »

The biggest consequence will be the loss of significant numbers of fighting forces, especially the unsullied and Dothraki.

If Cersei were half as smart as she thinks she is, she would have had scouts* observing Winterfell and the battle from afar (obviously from the Southern front away from White Walkers). As soon as dawn comes up after the battle and those scouts see how decimated the Dragon Queen's forces are, they would send ravens to Kings Landings informing her. Then Cersei should march the Golden Company and the Lannister Army as quick as the devil up the King's Road and hit Winterfell before they have any time to recover. War over. Victory to the Lioness.

*hmmm, come to think of it, where was Bronn? Maybe I've on to something here...….

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2019, 05:01:37 AM »

If Cersei were half as smart as she thinks she is, she would have had scouts* observing Winterfell and the battle from afar (obviously from the Southern front away from White Walkers). As soon as dawn comes up after the battle and those scouts see how decimated the Dragon Queen's forces are, they would send ravens to Kings Landings informing her. Then Cersei should march the Golden Company and the Lannister Army as quick as the devil up the King's Road and hit Winterfell before they have any time to recover. War over. Victory to the Lioness.

*hmmm, come to think of it, where was Bronn? Maybe I've on to something here...….

There are still two dragons at play.

Also, the show has a tendency to conjure up non-existing armies (for example, the Lannister army should be, by now, completely depleted), so this plan could easily fail.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2019, 05:17:25 AM »
I dont think the scouting range of medieval armies were quite that long? Spies maybe? Sending the odd raven or message back with merchants etc?

Also, we know that Cercei is not half as smart as she thinks she is and is completely out of her depth in military matters.
If she had that kind of intelligence network then they wouldnt have had to bring a zombie in a box to kings landing in the first place.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2019, 05:29:28 AM »
They have teleporters on the show, don't forget about that.

Cersei now has a competent general, the leader of the Golden Company, so that should be fine. Unless they somehow swerve into book mode and go rogue (without the fake? Targ, because they can't resolve THAT mess in three episodes), taking castles and all, maybe switch sides to Dany. After all, Cersei has no money beyond a loan while her opponent is still ruling the greatest city state of Slaver's Bay, the Dothraki Empire, Dragonstone, Casterly Rock and the North and should be technically in charge of the Vale as well (did I miss anything?).

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2019, 06:14:05 AM »

There are still two dragons at play.

Also, the show has a tendency to conjure up non-existing armies (for example, the Lannister army should be, by now, completely depleted), so this plan could easily fail.

One and a half dragons. The one the dead swarmed has to be seriously injured. Perhaps not able to fly long distance? How long does it take a dragon to heal?

personate-rain