Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 10318 times)

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2019, 06:18:54 AM »

The biggest consequence will be the loss of significant numbers of fighting forces, especially the unsullied and Dothraki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Cersei were half as smart as she thinks she is, she would have had scouts* observing Winterfell and the battle from afar (obviously from the Southern front away from White Walkers). As soon as dawn comes up after the battle and those scouts see how decimated the Dragon Queen's forces are, they would send ravens to Kings Landings informing her. Then Cersei should march the Golden Company and the Lannister Army as quick as the devil up the King's Road and hit Winterfell before they have any time to recover. War over. Victory to the Lioness.

*hmmm, come to think of it, where was Bronn? Maybe I've on to something here...….

There are still two dragons at play.

Also, the show has a tendency to conjure up non-existing armies (for example, the Lannister army should be, by now, completely depleted), so this plan could easily fail.

One and a half dragons. The one the dead swarmed has to be seriously injured. Perhaps not able to fly long distance? How long does it take a dragon to heal?

It takes as much time as the plot needs.

Just like how the hardness of dragon scales vs some puny zombies is variable based on the plot.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2019, 10:48:31 AM »
I believe there were five characters lost whom I recognized. One was a major character. Some I’m  not sure of.

Make that six.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2019, 10:54:59 AM »
I would argue that for the balance of the show both Theon and Jorah were pretty major characters.

I saw a few articles on this praising the show for being subversive in letting a "Minor Character" kill the Night King.  Yeah, Arya's a minor character  ::)

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2019, 12:19:01 PM »
Minor character = female character and it should have been Jon?
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2019, 12:37:10 PM »
I would argue that for the balance of the show both Theon and Jorah were pretty major characters.

They were, but what are the consequences of them dying now, besides other, more consequential characters being sad?

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2019, 01:23:23 PM »

They were, but what are the consequences of them dying now, besides other, more consequential characters being sad?
Dany is more vulnerable and weaker without Jorah.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2019, 01:30:11 PM »
Jorah should have been dead long ago.  Theon died where his character arc said he should have.  It could be argued that Brianne and/or Grey Worm should have died based on the narrative position they found themselves in for this battle. 

Going into this episode there were five characters I assumed would survive.  Arya (I had predicted her killing the Night King), Jamie (needs to confront his sister), The Hound (needs to confront his brother), Dany and Jon (why set up the conflict between the two if you aren't going to pay it off later).  I expected more deaths, but the ones we got don't surprise me really. 
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
For me, this was less about wanting characters to die and more about this being the last moment for the show to subvert our expectations one last time, and then do what it got famous for doing; figure out how to pick up the pieces in narratively satisfying way.  The lack of any death of consequence in an episode primed to simply lay waste to everyone we care about makes me pretty sure the remainder of the series is going to play it safe and just tell the story we all expect.  The fact they faked out of killing literally EVERY major character in Winterfell, some multiple times, just to make us clutch our pearls makes me almost certain the series will end in a disappointing mess...

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2019, 02:07:38 PM »
However, as far as I can tell, it was everyone's expectation that this would be a bloodbath of beloved characters.  My wife and I were discussing it before the episode started.  We had just finished the last season of The Magicians on Friday night, just went to see Endgame on Saturday.  She was saying she was going to have to buy stock in Kleenex if the GoT episode was what she expected.  We just knew we were going to lose Brianne and Theon and Davos and Jorah and Sam and Ghost and Grey Worm...

So by that definition, this episode did subvert our expectations. 
--Stephen Hawking

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2019, 02:16:49 PM »
Well, my definition was more of killing someone, or multiple someones, we didn't expect to die.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2019, 02:40:58 PM »
Since that didn't happen, your expectations were subverted.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »
I would be fine with so many main characters surviving if they hadn't put all of them in mortal peril and shown so many of them in clearly fatal situations.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ron Obvious

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2019, 03:27:43 PM »
I felt very dissatisfied with the latest episode. Actually, since the writers ran out of book material it's jumped the shark.

I can't say I feel as strong about it as this guy, but I have to admit I agree with just about everything he says:

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2019, 04:15:16 PM »
I found the last episode quite enjoyable. My complaints ran on it being hideously dark and would have liked bigger names to have died.

I see a lot of people complaining that they beat the Night King too quickly/easily. I don't agree with that. Complaints about the fight taking one episode seem absurd to me. And people complaining about Jon not fighting the night king boo hoo.

I don't think those are objective criticisms of the episode.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2019, 04:32:29 PM »
I would be fine with so many main characters surviving if they hadn't put all of them in mortal peril and shown so many of them in clearly fatal situations.

Yeah, like Jorah Mormont riding out into the night with the suicide charge of the Dothraki and surviving because he was the only (white) dude who had a name.

When was the last time we saw an actual Dothraki character on the show? Like five seasons ago?

personate-rain
personate-rain