Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 10324 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2019, 04:14:36 PM »
Brienne is instantly turned from bad ass warrior into weeping lover watching her man go off to die instead of staying home with her,

We are introduced to Brienne in Season 1 as a kick ass warrior in love with a man she can never have, who then becomes part of his guard just to be near him. She's a hopeless romantic at heart who falls for men she can't have.

Brienne and Jaime have had a strong friendship built on respect and hardship over several years. I find it easy to believe Brienne fell in love and started planning a life with Jaime after her first sexual experience. It's not inconceivable she has been in love with him for a while.

I doubt we will get this scene in the coming books.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2019, 04:23:57 PM »
I think that even if Dany used her dragons well, its not an insurmountable obstacle for her enemies. They just have to try and attack them on the ground somehow through poison or ambush off the battle field.
Or assassinate Dany herself.
Or wait a generation until they die and then rise up (ok, that one isnt great for the show).
Even trebuchets with nets would be a risk when the dragons come in close enough to burn troops.

The point is, that we do not need to have them artificially stupid so the enemy has a chance. And if thats the case then the far more interesting story would be to have her roll over Cercei but then we focus on the north fighting against her and make her the villain.

All they have to do is have some consistency and not have characters who are THIS stupid and I would be pretty happy. I just played Mortal Kombat 11 and found myself enjoying the writing way more than this season (and last season).

I do wonder though about what studio pressures they are trying to work with. Im sure they are not all that free to write whatever they want and have to try and strike some balance between set pieces and elements that have been mandated.

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2019, 04:33:46 PM »
How are ballista any stupider than trebuchet with nets?
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2019, 04:36:59 PM »
Brienne is instantly turned from bad ass warrior into weeping lover watching her man go off to die instead of staying home with her,

She was weeping as her lover left her to go back to his sister/lover.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »
https://twitter.com/JennaGuillaume/status/1125291475699290113
Jenna Guillaume:
You're telling me they had TWO YEARS to put together a decent show and they couldn't even spot the goddamn Starbucks cup in Winterfell??!?! #GameOfThrones

HBO statement on last night's episode of Game of Thrones

In response to inquiries from those who saw a craft services coffee cup in Sunday night’s episode of GAME OF THRONES, HBO states, “The latte that appeared in the episode was a mistake.  Daenerys had ordered an herbal tea.”
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2019, 04:55:09 PM »
Somewhere out there thousands of onset dressers are screaming at the top of their lungs  "no drinks on set"

I bet it was a DP, Director or Producer who left it there. The crew drinks crafty coffee and actors don't drink coffee on set in full makeup and wardrobe.

Im betting they actually caught it on that take then removed it on the next take but editorial used it anyway for whatever reason and didn't mark it for cgi removal.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2019, 06:33:30 PM »

Yeah that wasnt unclear.
Its just a betrayal of the character we had come to love and respect.
If she thought he was going to fight with Cersei she would be angry and aggressive.
If she thought he was going back to kill Cersei she would say something like "You are an idiot. But I hope you come back".

No one is confused about why she cried. We are annoyed at the bad writing that allowed her to cry for such a reason.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2019, 06:36:27 PM »
How are ballista any stupider than trebuchet with nets?
Its not really. I was responding to the idea that the war is unwinable if Dany has a dragon.
Nets would require less accuracy though. Thats why arrow heads for hunting birds have little wire loops on them.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2019, 06:53:01 PM »

Yeah that wasnt unclear.
Its just a betrayal of the character we had come to love and respect.
If she thought he was going to fight with Cersei she would be angry and aggressive.
If she thought he was going back to kill Cersei she would say something like "You are an idiot. But I hope you come back".

No one is confused about why she cried. We are annoyed at the bad writing that allowed her to cry for such a reason.

Maybe it was just my expectations coloring my perceptions, but I actually thought he was leaving to fight her because now he realized she might win.  If what you're saying is supposed to be the case then man... that's even freaking worse.  As for the crying thing, like with many other contrivances this show has been guilty of, it's not that that they haven't said why this thing may be happening that I dislike at all.  My objection is that they manipulate the narrative and characters in unnatural ways to create moments they want to have and in this case they manipulated the scenario to have Brienne, in a dress, bawling her eyes out over her lost love in the same episode Dany's closest advisers debate treason against her because she's becoming too emotional.  Compare Brienne's scene to earlier in the episode where Gendry basically goes through the same scenario.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »
So suppose that Dany wins but goes mad queen and is killed in favor of John.  He doesn't want to be king and fucks off to the North.  Who inherits the throne?

(click to show/hide)
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2019, 01:43:13 PM »
So suppose that Dany wins but goes mad queen and is killed in favor of John.  He doesn't want to be king and fucks off to the North.  Who inherits the throne?

(click to show/hide)
The final shot is John at a work camp, by himself, working as a lumberjack?
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
Episode 4 recap.

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2019, 02:26:57 PM »
I'm guessing Jamie kills Circe in keeping with the cyclical theme in GoT. Notice they stressed the new PRINCE in Dorn was now their ally. The prince who was promised...

Why didn't Dany's dragon flame all the boats after it dodged the arrows? What as the strategy behind returning to that island?
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2019, 02:39:10 PM »
Nope

Bob Newhart wakes up next to Suzanne Pleshette

"honey wake up... you wont believe the dream I just had..."
"Go back to sleep"
"but honey, I was a bastard or at least I thought I was a bastard... then the dragon lady... and... and .. it all felt so real!"
"It was just a dream, everything is fine, go back to sleep"... "wait.. what dragon lady?"
"You know nothing Emily"
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2019, 02:41:27 PM »
--Stephen Hawking

personate-rain