Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 9971 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]
« Reply #240 on: May 13, 2019, 05:49:38 PM »
Those are all true facts, but it doesnt make the results less rushed.

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #241 on: May 13, 2019, 11:35:46 PM »
Next time bring the damn elephants!

Offline 1Pirate

• Well Established
« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2019, 12:25:37 AM »
Next time bring the damn elephants!

Interesting note, elephants would probably have made things worse. They were typically not as well disciplined as horses and were notorious for charging back through their own lines when frightened. Pretty sure one pass from Drogon would've sent them stampeding back through the Golden Company.
The Critics agree:     "1pirate is too good" --Black Magic
                                 "1pirate is too damn good" --AlexButterfield
                                 "F*ckin 1P - we really need to kill him" --StoneQuarry

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #243 on: May 14, 2019, 03:50:56 AM »
A visual representation of the quality of Game of Thrones through the whole series

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #244 on: May 14, 2019, 04:00:06 AM »
Im not doubting anyone here because the conversations about the show have always been quite high level and into the lore on this forum.
But there is a shocking number of people I am seeing elsewhere stanning for the show by saying that the mad queen had been teased multiple times in earlier seasons, but I had honestly never heard anyone bring it up until the last couple of episodes.
Im not saying no one brought it up at all (theres a theory for everything). Im saying there are a bunch of people with whom I used to talk GoT with and would talk about how much I hate Dany and they never brought it up and defended her as a champion of the common folk who now say that the current flip is totally in character.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #245 on: May 14, 2019, 06:18:31 AM »
Yeesh... Just keeps getting better and better the more people think about it

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #246 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »
After talking it over with some colleagues, I've refined and clarified my views. For the most part I don't have any major complaints about this episode in itself; I think this episode did a very good job of telling the story it set out to tell, and it was a fabulous spectacle.  The real issue is not this episode; it would have been an excellent finale for the 9th season of GoT.  My issue is that it needed a whole season of development between in the Battle of Winterfell and The Bells, which the show tried unsuccessfully to condense into one 80 minute episode.

I think what we're seeing here is actually three seasons of television trying to be condensed into one.  Season 8 contains the development of Dany's relationship with Jon; her conflicts with the northerners and growing issues between her people and the northerners, and her feeling of isolation and resentment toward them; a plot not shown here involving Circei's consolidation of power, preparations for war, and scheming with Euron and Qyburn; and  the march south of the White Walkers and their skirmishes with and destruction of the north.  It ends with the Battle of Winterfell.

Season 9 contains the revelation of Jon's parentage, his growing conflict with and estrangement from Dany (though he remains loyal), the North being reluctant to follow Dany south, and some houses perhaps refusing (maybe even rejecting Jon for Sansa); extensive plotting by Varys, her growing estrangement from her other advisors and growing dependence on Misendei and Grayworm, further increasingly despotic tendencies which see other houses abandon her until she's left relying on the Dothraki and Unsullied almost exclusively. Perhaps a plot involving Yara and Sansa, maybe developing an alliance with Dorne and the Nights of the Vale. A plot involving The Hound and Arya moving south. It all builds to a climax in The Bells.  In the end, Dany occupies the throne but the seven kingdoms are in revolt. She has estranged everyone but the Dothraki and the Unsullied, with whom she intends to reunite Westeros through conquest.

In Season 10 the rest of the seven kingdoms are united against Dany, and it proceeds in a way that I can't yet forsee.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:47:53 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: May 14, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
Totally agree.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #248 on: May 14, 2019, 01:35:52 PM »
I loved it. Not only that, but I think that after a bit of time months (years?) many detractors will come around to believe this was a perfectly fitting ending.

Many of the complaints have been that the writers didn't contrive an ending where the contrivances resolved disputes.

They way I saw it, the writers put the pieces in place, then let the story unfold as it would (as they imagined it would).

That's how Cerscei and Jamie died. Their characters were caught up in their environment and a contrivance allowing a face to face confrontation with Dany or John would have not been believable, no matter how satisfying.

There were some contrivances (Arya surviving so many deadly situations; Euron and Jamie fighting) but they weren't pivotal or totally unbelievable.

(At this point little girls named Arya are just fine, but little girls named Daenerys, not so much.)
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #249 on: May 14, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »
Megan, how is your little Khaleesi doing in school this year?  Committed any genocides?
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: May 14, 2019, 02:17:18 PM »
Im going to break the wheel by calling my first daughter "The Hound".

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #251 on: May 14, 2019, 02:58:10 PM »
I loved it. Not only that, but I think that after a bit of time months (years?) many detractors will come around to believe this was a perfectly fitting ending.

Many of the complaints have been that the writers didn't contrive an ending where the contrivances resolved disputes.

They way I saw it, the writers put the pieces in place, then let the story unfold as it would (as they imagined it would).

That's how Cerscei and Jamie died. Their characters were caught up in their environment and a contrivance allowing a face to face confrontation with Dany or John would have not been believable, no matter how satisfying.

There were some contrivances (Arya surviving so many deadly situations; Euron and Jamie fighting) but they weren't pivotal or totally unbelievable.

(At this point little girls named Arya are just fine, but little girls named Daenerys, not so much.)
My main problem is Daenerys main contrivance. As The Lat says, she needed more time to flip out as she did. But the execution and method failed. It was so bad that the majority of the viewers think it was ass-pulled. If you watch the part of the bells you can see it perfectly. She stares at the Red Keep. You can see her desire written in her face (props on acting) that she can't let cercei escape, or get a fair trail. She has to kill cercei right there and then. So she lunges straight for the red Keep, And half way there she turns around and burns half the city. Has her insanity reached those loony proportions where she will forget the sole purpose of her turning insane to go do something else?

It was  foreshadowed that she would become the villain, but it was contrived in the way that the show needed her not only to be a villain but to be the most despised and hated villain. Forget being a grey villain like the Cercei or Roose Bolton. Lets have her kick the puppy along with Ramsey and Euron. At least these two made sense that they kick puppies.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #252 on: May 14, 2019, 03:02:34 PM »
Even her on that tower with the bells ringing I flashed back to the scene earlier in the episode.  "Let it be fear then".  She believes she can never be loved by the people of Westeros so she will have to make them too afraid to ever challenge her.  She has to make an example of a city that defies her...that kills something she loves.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #253 on: May 14, 2019, 03:27:26 PM »
I'm starting to think Daenerys will win, John and the Starks will rebel and she kills them all or similar.  The mad Queen takes the throne, end of story.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #254 on: May 14, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »
My prediction for next week.

Jon kills Dany to save Westeros from her madness.
Arya kills Grey Worm to save Jon
Jon refuses the throne and goes to live beyond the wall with Ghost.
Gendry becomes King of Westeros.
Sansa becomes Queen of the North.
Tyrion gives Bronn Casterly Rock, instead of Highgarden.
Brienne finally warms to Tormund's advances.
Bran continues being weird.
Sam returns to Oldtown and starts writing "A Song of Ice and Fire"

personate-rain