Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 8487 times)

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 12:55:11 AM »
The only thing Bran did this episode is ominously waiting in the courtyard for at least three different people.

I guess Winterfell is not wheelchair-accessible, and he is too much of an emotionless all-knowing robot to ask for assistance. "Nobody carries the Three Eyed Raven up the stairs to have a shit!"

I certainly hope the prequel series or Amazon's LOTR series have time-stamps up the wazoo. Every scene transition, a time stamp: "one day later", "several weeks later", whatever. Even when a character walks from one room to another in the same building ,"two seconds later" super-imposed on the screen.  Evidently they are highly needed. People just can't fill-in elapsed time in their heads, I guess. .

You a trivialising a major issue with the show that started with Littlefinger randomly traversing the continent at a whim, but became egregious after the end of season 6, when in the space of 10 on-screen minutes, Varys went from Dorne to Mereen. Since then we had armies, navies and individuals appear at any location, no matter the distance. It is mostly due to lazy writing and a rush to squeeze everything in (while wasting time on filler episodes, dick jokes, the boob quota, dragon riding dates and other pointless nonsense), but since no effort whatsoever is made to somehow counteract the inconsistencies, the internal logic of the show has fallen apart.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 01:36:32 AM »
I don't have HBO so I just read this entire thing to catch up.

SAMPLE CONTENT:

If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 02:48:13 AM »
You a trivialising a major issue with the show that started with Littlefinger randomly traversing the continent at a whim, but became egregious after the end of season 6, when in the space of 10 on-screen minutes, Varys went from Dorne to Mereen. Since then we had armies, navies and individuals appear at any location, no matter the distance. It is mostly due to lazy writing and a rush to squeeze everything in (while wasting time on filler episodes, dick jokes, the boob quota, dragon riding dates and other pointless nonsense), but since no effort whatsoever is made to somehow counteract the inconsistencies, the internal logic of the show has fallen apart.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 05:28:33 AM »
I don't have HBO so I just read this entire thing to catch up.

This is a fantastic amplification of how stupid the episode was

This may be the best bit:

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 06:18:54 AM »

Other than the romantic flight, I enjoyed this ep.  I like reunions.

As far as character moments, Sam's reaction to his family's death was great.  I know his father was a shit, but Sam always wanted his father to accept him and it is easy to have real emotional reactions like that.  Then when he found out his brother was killed as well, it broke him further.  I thought John Bradley was the star of this episode.  It might be because I really hated my father for years.  We eventually reconciled and he died two years ago.

The weakest plot point, that will remain a problem, is Bran.  Why not ask questions like "where is the Lannister Army right now?"  "Where is the Night King's army right now?"  "Where can we find more food?"  If he can see everything, why not use that?

Also, I thought I'd share my new favorite GoT recap show:
(click to show/hide)
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 10:19:58 PM »
OK, that just sucked, (8-2)

Did we really need the unnecessary sex scene where Jaime and Brienne do it in front of the others like that?

Hey lets trigger a temperamental insecure young queen moments before a battle, good plan.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 11:37:39 PM »
Did we really need the unnecessary sex scene where Jaime and Brienne do it in front of the others like that?

and in front of her obsessed stalker Tormund as well  ;)

It is a scene we all wanted to see, but was it actually legal under Westeros' strict knightly code ???

We also didn't really need to see Arya and Gendry getting it on  ??? Their relationship never seemed headed in that direction.

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 01:26:31 AM »

and in front of her obsessed stalker Tormund as well  ;)

It is a scene we all wanted to see, but was it actually legal under Westeros' strict knightly code ???

We also didn't really need to see Arya and Gendry getting it on  ??? Their relationship never seemed headed in that direction.
I tell you the spinoff “Gundry Loves Arya” practically writes itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 01:27:58 AM »
Was that the first episode where no one got killed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 03:43:22 AM »
Was that the first episode where no one got killed?

No, there have been at least 6 episodes (including todays) where no-one got killed

1x03 "Lord Snow"
2x08 "The Prince of Winterfell"
3x01 "Valar Dohaeris"
3x02 "Dark Wings, Dark Words"
3x07 "The Bear and the Maiden Fair"
8x02 "“A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms”

According to this website:
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/58593/is-there-an-episode-of-game-of-thrones-where-nobody-dies

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 05:29:38 AM »
This was quite the filler episode, especially when last week they were already teasing the battle. And that Arya scene was just squicky. "Finally she is not a child, now we can get her naked". These showrunners...

- for a second I thought Dany and Sansa were going to stop being catty, but then they talked abput men a bit and returned to being catty
- why was Davos manning the soup kitchen?
- on what authority did Jaime knight Brienne?
- finally Jon has an actual title, but no-one seems to mind the unfortunate connotations of 'Warden of the North'
- also he still has no chemistry whatsoever with Dany
- after talking about retirement, Missandei and Grey Worm are gonna die for sure. There goes the only believable relationship on this show.
- I liked that there was a Mormont reunion, even if it was kinda meh
- Why is everyone wearing black?
- Ghost came back from his cgi budget-related holiday to stand in the background for one scene!
- Why is Jon called Aegon? Either Rheagar loved it so mich he named both his sons like that, or the writers are lazy.

Also, somehow I was missing the feeling of dread, no matter how hard they tried. I don't know exactly where they failed, but it did not work at all.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 06:28:40 AM »
- on what authority did Jaime knight Brienne?

It is mentioned in the books (ASoIaF) and also the Tales of Dunk and Egg novellas that any Knight can make another person a knight. A King can also do it.

It is not something meant to be done lightly. Which makes what Jaime does even more noble.

- after talking about retirement, Missandei and Grey Worm are gonna die for sure. There goes the only believable relationship on this show.

I had the opposite reaction. I thought after that promise to each other they were certain to survive.
If it was set up in the book I'd be worried, but it seems to be the show runners setting up something that will be played out in the finale.
I think, and hope, we get to see them survive and get their wish to see the beach.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 07:34:53 AM »
I thought it was fine.
Any episode with The Hound is fine by me.
Did not need Arya and Gendry to get it on for the camera but I guess at least it was Arya getting hers. Kind of weird how she treated Gendry being raped though.

They seemed to be running out of time to get everything ready but the nobs still had time to sit in a massive room with a big fire while people freeze outside so they can drink wine and chat shit....I guess that checks out. Very against character for Brienne though, I dont care how many lines of her arm being twisted they cared to add.
Has no knight ever gotten drunk and started knighting random people before? Like it seems that there would be a story about some senile knight who made his grand daughter a knight or something and then she technically was because rules.

Could really do without being reminded of racism in my dragon fantasy show. Its not like Grey Worm needed more pathos or tragedy.

I didnt mind the stuff with Dany and everybody else because I have seen her as a villain in waiting for the last 3 or 4 seasons. She wants to be a good queen but is more interested in being the latter than the former.

I think the most logical person to be on the iron throne at the end is Sansa. She wont be in any battles and is the smartest and most deserving person to do it. She is also the widow of a king so could have a claim and has Arya for a hand/bodyguard.

They have more food at Winterfell than I thought.
Edit- Sansa isnt the widow of a king. My bad, I got mixed up about Joffreys wedding.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:34:00 AM by Harry Black »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »
I think this is a situation where bing watching the show would be better.  I am guessing that if one watched episodes 1-3 consecutively they might form a more cohesive whole.  As it is, the first two episodes have seemed way off-pace.

Rai:

1) Sansa and Danaerys’s discussion of John was actually what seemed on the point of bringing them together; it was only when Sansa brought up the independence of the north that the ice returned.

2) Jamie knighted Brienne on his own authority, as he made clear in the show. “Any knight can make a knight,” the fact that we have not seen it done in the show notwithstanding.

3) Rhaegar Targaryen died before the birth of his son by Lyanna Stark.  It was she who named him Aegon, telling only Ned Stark his name.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »
I think this is a situation where bing watching the show would be better.  I am guessing that if one watched episodes 1-3 consecutively they might form a more cohesive whole.  As it is, the first two episodes have seemed way off-pace.

Rai:

1) Sansa and Danaerys’s discussion of John was actually what seemed on the point of bringing them together; it was only when Sansa brought up the independence of the north that the ice returned.

2) Jamie knighted Brienne on his own authority, as he made clear in the show. “Any knight can make a knight,” the fact that we have not seen it done in the show notwithstanding.

3) Rhaegar Targaryen died before the birth of his son by Lyanna Stark.  It was she who named him Aegon, telling only Ned Stark his name.

1, true (though it is a shame that the discussion ended when the important topic came up), but their antagonistic personal relationship is really weird and typical for the show. The last time I remember female characters being nice to each other was Sansa and Maergery way back in Season 3. Yes, they have their political differences, but beyond that, there is no need to be so catty.

2, knowing that Jaime is, at this stage, an aging, failed hedge knight, who broke all wows and betrayed basically everyone at one point or the other, it felt off to me. That being said, the number of surviving named knights in the series is not particularly high.

3, it is still a lazy choice.