Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 10040 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2019, 12:06:25 PM »
As far as women not getting along,  Sansa and Arya seem to be getting on well enough since the whole Littlefinger thing last season.  One would assume Dany and Missandei are getting along, though we don't really see them together.  Sansa still loves and trusts Ser Brianne as well.

Of course there is conflict between them.  Drama is all about conflicts.  If they all just got along there would be nothing to show.  Hence why we're not seeing it.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2019, 01:51:21 PM »
Yet most of the scenes with guys are all about how much they get along.
 Even if they have actual good reasons to dislike each other.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2019, 02:19:13 PM »
I don't think Bran and Jamie were getting along any better than Sansa and Dany.  The people of Winterfell were not getting along with Tyrion or Jamie.  Either way, it was a low-conflict episode in a high-conflict show.  Sansa and Dany are the best players of the Game left north of Kings Landing, now that Varys is silent and Tyrion has grown stupid.  Of course they will have conflict.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2019, 02:53:41 PM »
Arya promised to peel the face off Sansa's skin last season and they haven't really interacted at all this two episodes. I would not call that cordial.

As for Bran and Jaime, they were still friendly to each other, even though one tried to murder the other. And Bran is an emotionless robot that just appears at random locations to glare at people anyway.

Meanwhile, Tyrion killed three sons of Davos, along with thousands of his comrades and the two are best chums. No-one has one bad word about a random excentric wildling and just hangs out with this barbarian. Even Sandor effin' Clegane is on good terms with the male cast. But the women, they always fight with each other for no apparent reason, if they have meaningful interactions.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2019, 02:58:46 PM »
Arya promised to peel the face off Sansa's skin last season and they haven't really interacted at all this two episodes. I would not call that cordial.

As for Bran and Jaime, they were still friendly to each other, even though one tried to murder the other. And Bran is an emotionless robot that just appears at random locations to glare at people anyway.

Meanwhile, Tyrion killed three sons of Davos, along with thousands of his comrades and the two are best chums. No-one has one bad word about a random excentric wildling and just hangs out with this barbarian. Even Sandor effin' Clegane is on good terms with the male cast. But the women, they always fight with each other for no apparent reason, if they have meaningful interactions.
Yeah, plotting the death of Littlefinger is not really interactive.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2019, 04:04:51 PM »

Especially if the plot makes no sense whatsoever. The two sisters (one of whom the de facto ruler of the realm) have to fight with each other in particularly nasty ways in private, and also plot strictly off-screen to bring down an isolated man through a farcical trial with no evidence.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2019, 04:12:06 PM »

Especially if the plot makes no sense whatsoever. The two sisters (one of whom the de facto ruler of the realm) have to fight with each other in particularly nasty ways in private, and also plot strictly off-screen to bring down an isolated man through a farcical trial with no evidence.

They had Bran's word on it. That's all the evidence they needed.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2019, 04:16:49 PM »

They had Bran's word on it. That's all the evidence they needed.

How is Bran's word admissable in court? For anyone who has not watched the show, he is a crippled weirdo who says that he is a bird. His acceptance as as all-knowing seer or anything but a crazyperson has not been established in any way, people just take him at face value.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »
Right, the court...with the judges and lawyers and laws passed by a Congress or Parliament that don't seem to exist in this world.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »
Indeed, the Lord (or Lady) of Winterfell is the law in Winterfell, as Ned Stark established in the very first episode.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2019, 05:37:59 PM »
It is a bit of a stretch to say that there are no laws in this world just because the writers fail at world building.

Indeed, the Lord (or Lady) of Winterfell is the law in Winterfell, as Ned Stark established in the very first episode.

In that case, why hold a trial and have a convoluted plot? She could have had him killed at any point without advanced theatrics involving death threats and off-screen scheming.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2019, 05:42:13 PM »
It is a bit of a stretch to say that there are no laws in this world just because the writers fail at world building.

In that case, why hold a trial and have a convoluted plot? She could have had him killed at any point without advanced theatrics involving death threats and off-screen scheming.
It was a show trial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2019, 05:43:59 PM »
Regardless of any off screen plot. We as the audience had to endure Arya and Sansa sniping at each other for far longer than we should have with no apparent comraderie afterward except Arya saying Sansa is super smart.
Im not arguing about what may have happened off screen, Im pointing out what they have thought worth putting on screen.
The men get to clap each other on the backs and make jokes about which of them has had sex while the women dont really have connections built between each other based on shared experience. Even Brienne/Sansa  and Dany/Misandei are lady/servant relationships where a fondness has grown, but they are still formal as hell.

Its fine. But it is what it is.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2019, 06:29:22 PM »

It was a show trial.

Thinking about it, there does seem to be a major inconsistency in the Westros Judical system. Tyrion had his own show trial with witnesses and a judge, and then had the option to chose Trial by Combat and select a champion.

Where little finger was basically executed unceremoniously without any semblance of a trial.  Also, in the first season, Ned catches the member of the Nightswatch heading south and executes him with no trial.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2019, 06:30:17 PM »
Every trial we've seen on this show has been a show trial.  Even Tyrion's second trial that had a tribunal for judgment and people to argue for/against was just for show.
--Stephen Hawking

personate-rain