Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 9946 times)

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2019, 01:09:14 AM »
Was that the first episode where no one got killed?

No, there have been at least 6 episodes (including todays) where no-one got killed

1x03 "Lord Snow"
2x08 "The Prince of Winterfell"
3x01 "Valar Dohaeris"
3x02 "Dark Wings, Dark Words"
3x07 "The Bear and the Maiden Fair"
8x02 "“A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms”

According to this website:
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/58593/is-there-an-episode-of-game-of-thrones-where-nobody-dies
Ok...

So was tonight’s episode the first where no one got laid ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2019, 01:19:54 AM »
I have thought for a long time that Arya would kill the Night King, and kept waiting throughout the episode for her to head that way.  When she ran off after speaking with Melisandre, I was sure that’s where she was headed.

I’m starting to get pretty frustrated with the realization that we’re not going to get resolution to must of the big outstanding mysteries in the series (the Night King, the Lord of Light, the Prince that was Promised).
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2019, 01:39:33 AM »
Was that the first episode where no one got killed?

No, there have been at least 6 episodes (including todays) where no-one got killed

1x03 "Lord Snow"
2x08 "The Prince of Winterfell"
3x01 "Valar Dohaeris"
3x02 "Dark Wings, Dark Words"
3x07 "The Bear and the Maiden Fair"
8x02 "“A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms”

According to this website:
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/58593/is-there-an-episode-of-game-of-thrones-where-nobody-dies
Ok...

So was tonight’s episode the first where no one got laid ?

Wait, your right, no nudity in this episode
9/10  >:D
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2019, 01:57:20 AM »
This was really well-made, but not quite there. It was too high fantasy, with no truly important, hard-hitting character deaths (apart from the Night's King) and plenty of plot armour for everyone.

Though, is Ghost dead, along with all the Dothraki in the world?

And who planned this battle? We are facing an army of the dead. We have a castle. Let's fight outside the walls and throw away most of our manpower, because it looks better that way.

I call bullshit on the raised Stark ancestors. That is not how wights work.

What I find weird is that the Others are set up to be the great antagonist of the Song of Ice and Fire (hence the name), and then they are disposed of in one episode, by a girl who saw The Last Jedi, so that we can concentrate on the real enemy: Cersei, Jack Sparrow's obnoxious cousin and *checks notes* Harry Strickland? Is this really the arc of the series? Are we going to end up with a good, just hereditary monarch as well to rule over the Seven Kingdoms?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:59:30 AM by Rai »

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2019, 01:58:37 AM »
I have thought for a long time that Arya would kill the Night King, and kept waiting throughout the episode for her to head that way.  When she ran off after speaking with Melisandre, I was sure that’s where she was headed.

I’m starting to get pretty frustrated with the realization that we’re not going to get resolution to must of the big outstanding mysteries in the series (the Night King, the Lord of Light, the Prince that was Promised).

What mystery of the Night King?  I thought he was explained pretty well.

Is it possible "the prince that was promised" was just the red woman's bullshit? They established how the priesthood is corrupt and how she was wrong.  There is some power coming from somewhere but that could be based on the artifacts they all seem to have or they are actually as old as the night king and other non humans on the planet.

I doubt we get official answers on the lord of light but what specifics would you like answered?

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2019, 02:12:53 AM »
This was really well-made, but not quite there. It was too high fantasy, with no truly important, hard-hitting character deaths (apart from the Night's King) and plenty of plot armour for everyone.

And who planned this battle? We are facing an army of the dead. We have a castle. Let's fight outside the walls and throw away most of our manpower, because it looks better that way.

What I find weird is that the Others are set up to be the great antagonist of the Song of Ice and Fire (hence the name), and then they are disposed of in one episode, by a girl who saw The Last Jedi, so that we can concentrate on the real enemy: Cersei, Jack Sparrow's obnoxious cousin and *checks notes* Harry Strickland? Is this really the arc of the series? Are we going to end up with a good, just hereditary monarch as well to rule over the Seven Kingdoms?

Loosing both Mormonts was pretty hard hitting and important as well as Theon and Melisandre.

I was hoping zombie Ned Stark was going to pop out and grab Sansa. LOL How do wights work? did you look that up in the Monster manual?  To me that looked more like a raise dead spell.

I was also surprised todays battle was not the final episode as opposed to dealing with Cersie. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:17:07 AM by Captain Video »

Online CarbShark

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2019, 02:25:19 AM »

Loosing both Mormonts was pretty hard hitting and important as well as Theon and Melisandre.

I was hoping zombie Ned Stark was going to pop out and grab Sansa. LOL How do wights work? did you look that up in the Monster manual?  To me that looked more like a raise dead spell.

I was also surprised todays battle was not the final episode as opposed to dealing with Cersie.
Cersei is still on Arya’s list. The white king was never on her list

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2019, 02:39:26 AM »

Lyanna was never all that important and Jorah was pointess at this stage. They weren't main characters by any stretch.

Wights can only be made from people who died at the hands of the Others. That is how it works in this world. None of the Starks in the crypt have even seen a White Walker ot a wight.

As for Ned, I am pretty sure his bones got lost somewhere on the way from King's Landing.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2019, 04:16:42 AM »
I just realised, did they forget about Pod?

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2019, 06:49:38 AM »
Cersei is still on Arya’s list. The white king was never on her list

The list hasn't been mentioned on the show for a while. Given the chance she would still kill Cersei and Ilyn Payne (The man who chopped off Ned's head)

There were 3 people who had been on her list at Winterfell. 2 she helped (The Hound and Beric) and Melisandre. All had slipped off her list for various reasons.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2019, 07:01:33 AM »

I don't know if this is technically a spoiler so ....

(click to show/hide)

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2019, 08:17:02 AM »
I missed Arya dropped the dagger into her other hand and stabbed the Night King. I saw that as it landing in Bran's hand and he stuck him. I'll have to watch that again. You'd think they'd have pots of flaming oil ready to repel wights. And why not some dragon glass spikes along the walls?

Arya's much vaunted weapon she had made didn't have much story value. I figured she was going to use that against the Night King. I didn't imagine her killing him. But I figured it would foil his plans. I'm glad they wrapped that up.

I'm sorry most, if not all, of the dothraki were wiped out. Did Jon's dragon die too? I couldn't tell. I does seem they're down to 1 dragon to take on Cersei. That may be enough, of course. But after that battle her dragon may be like "check please!" and out of the fight.

I sure hope the series ends with a new clutch of dragon eggs having been laid by one of the dragons.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2019, 08:43:18 AM »

I don't know if this is technically a spoiler so ....

(click to show/hide)
I think we can be spoilerful in this thread.

I missed this detail. What I don't understand, if he survives, is the point of having Ghost? Like, he has been completely absent last season and was in the background for a couple of seconds this one. I get it that they need the CGI budget for dragons, but they could have just had the good boy killed during the Castle Black mutiny and get it over with, instead they are just ignoring him.

As for the dragon, there are two dragons in the preview, one of the markedly green therefore both survived the battle.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2019, 09:01:12 AM »
Good catch about Ghost. Maybe Jon sent him away having info from Bran that his own dog didn't survive the wights.

Okay good to know there are still two dragons left. Maybe Jon's dragon is employed in the fight. Gets killed with a ballista. And then Drogon comes at the 11th hour and saves the battle. That's my prediction.

Also. Tyran marries Denarys and they rule in King's Landing (uniting two great house in the south). Jon trades down and remains a king or prince of the north.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2019, 09:40:21 AM »
I had a really hard time seeing anything from last nights show. I'm really annoyed they made everything that dark and hard to see. I may try again on a different TV. I get what they where trying to capture but just think it was over done.

personate-rain