Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 9936 times)

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »
Good catch about Ghost. Maybe Jon sent him away having info from Bran that his own dog didn't survive the wights.

The last time we saw Ghost in the episode was when he ran into battle with the Dothraki. Jon did not even meet with him, as he was on a dragon.

Also. Tyran marries Denarys and they rule in King's Landing (uniting two great house in the south). Jon trades down and remains a king or prince of the north.

I doubt it. Tyrion is not the heir of anything and has no value as the queen's consort. I fear, after the teasing in this episode, that he will re-marry Sansa, which would be just repulsive. Dany will either end up with Jon, or at least one of them will die. They are the designated love interests, despite the lack of chemistry.

Dany is also a problematic ruler, as she cannot bear any children, therefore her line will end with her, which is a recipe for disaster.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2019, 10:57:29 AM »
10/10 for me. Arya has been my favorite character in the series since the first episode. (She reminded me of my daughter, but Arya is more murdery, of course)

I didn’t realize just how emotionally vested in her character I have become until last night.

Team Arya, all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »
Cersei is still on Arya’s list. The white king was never on her list

The list hasn't been mentioned on the show for a while. Given the chance she would still kill Cersei and Ilyn Payne (The man who chopped off Ned's head)

There were 3 people who had been on her list at Winterfell. 2 she helped (The Hound and Beric) and Melisandre. All had slipped off her list for various reasons.
They just mentioned it in the last episode and I think the one before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2019, 01:18:03 PM »
I had a really hard time seeing anything from last nights show. I'm really annoyed they made everything that dark and hard to see. I may try again on a different TV. I get what they where trying to capture but just think it was over done.
Same.

I dont think it outdoes the battle of the bastards tbh. I loved that it was Arya and I was worried the night king was going to kill her for a moment.

It was a bit hard to watch SO many bad decisions that made zero tactical sense just for the visuals. One or two are fine but jesus....
More main characters should have died. It was so annoying to see them at the front of every charge but surviving every impossible situation for basically no reason.
Send Arya to kings landing next episode and lets just finish it all early.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2019, 01:42:11 PM »
Same.

More main characters should have died. It was so annoying to see them at the front of every charge but surviving every impossible situation for basically no reason.

The jarring change in writing style is actually why I stopped watching.

I just googled, "gardener vs architect writing," and appropriately enough, I found a quote from Martin himself:
“I think there are two types of writers, the architects and the gardeners. The architects plan everything ahead of time, like an architect building a house. They know how many rooms are going to be in the house, what kind of roof they're going to have, where the wires are going to run, what kind of plumbing there's going to be. They have the whole thing designed and blueprinted out before they even nail the first board up. The gardeners dig a hole, drop in a seed and water it. They kind of know what seed it is, they know if planted a fantasy seed or mystery seed or whatever. But as the plant comes up and they water it, they don't know how many branches it's going to have, they find out as it grows. And I'm much more a gardener than an architect.”

Before they ran out of book, the writing was exemplary of the gardener approach.  It was a saga of realpolitik. No one had plot armor. The 'rules' the world operated under made for interesting and novel plots with very interesting characters.

After they ran out of book, it lost my hook.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2019, 02:08:47 PM »
It was a little dark for me in places, but not too bad.  As soon as I realized the attack was happening during the night, I turned off the lights in the living room and it all worked out.  I would have liked it a little brighter.  My computer monitor is crisper than my living room TV so I might re-watch it in there one day this week just to see if there was a difference.

The biggest problems I had were with the aerial battle scenes after the storm was called in.  I figured it didn't really matter much if I couldn't see well, none of the characters could either.

There were a couple of breathtaking visuals that caught my eye.  The Dothraki charge.  The couple of times the dragons burst out of the cloud cover into the moonlight. 
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2019, 02:12:29 PM »
I think the decline started way before that, around Season 5. That is when they really started to make shit up and make all kinds of weird changes and ignoring world building or consistent characterisation

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2019, 03:41:55 PM »
My prediction, the future baby of Arya and Gendry sits on the throne.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2019, 04:40:55 PM »

That will be in the second season of the spinoff "Arya Loves Genrdry"

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2019, 05:11:16 PM »

Though, is Ghost dead, along with all the Dothraki in the world?

Ghost isn't dead.  We saw him for just a brief second in the teaser for the next episode.  He was in the scene where they were burning the dead, lined up outside Winterfell.

#non-belief denialist

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2019, 08:41:26 AM »
It was way to dark for me throughout, and it could not be fixed with brightness and contrast because of the compression artifacts in the blacks. Current compression algorithms just aren't good at preserving subtle gradations in such dark colors, so the whole thing comes out muddy.  I wonder if anyone reviewed it with compression while editing; if not, it's a bad oversight since the primary modes in which most people will consume the show are all compressed to one extent or another.

What mystery of the Night King?  I thought he was explained pretty well.

What did he need Craster's sons for?  Why did he retreat thousands of years ago?  Why does he want to destroy humanity?  What's he been doing for the last several thousand years?  What's the point of the White Walkers? What were the symbols for? Etc.

Is it possible "the prince that was promised" was just the red woman's bullshit? They established how the priesthood is corrupt and how she was wrong.  There is some power coming from somewhere but that could be based on the artifacts they all seem to have or they are actually as old as the night king and other non humans on the planet.

Azor Ahai, the Prince that was Promised; whatever you want to call him, he transcends cultures, is a subject of multiple prophecies, and very much seems real and important throughout the story. In any case, the subject requires resolution.

I doubt we get official answers on the lord of light but what specifics would you like answered?

Literally anything.

Eww.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
I had watched Sunday night upstairs in the bedroom and it was to dark to see much of anything. I watched in the dark and played with screen settings and still most of it was unwatchable. We do wirelessly stream from it from the living room to avoid paying for a second cable box and think the stream rate/compression or something might have been part if it. I watched again last night downstairs in the living room and could actually see what was happening but that TV is hardwired to the box.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2019, 09:39:46 AM »
I had watched Sunday night upstairs in the bedroom and it was to dark to see much of anything. I watched in the dark and played with screen settings and still most of it was unwatchable. We do wirelessly stream from it from the living room to avoid paying for a second cable box and think the stream rate/compression or something might have been part if it. I watched again last night downstairs in the living room and could actually see what was happening but that TV is hardwired to the box.

I'm streaming directly on a AppleTV 4K with a 200mbps connection. I can be pretty confident that any loss was on HBO's end. I wonder if it's possible that HBO wasn't able to handle full-resolution streaming to all the people who were trying to watch it simultaneously and had to degrade the stream.  I hadn't considered that, but it seems possible.  I should check it out again to compare.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »
the same brightness setting on two tvs can vary greatly

I agree it was dark but not too bad in a dim room with a properly configured TV, I also have a back light reflecting the wall behind my screen which I think makes the screen easier to see when I dim it to an orange or red glow, not sure why that works I thought it would be distracting but its not.

Make sure motion smoothing is off as well as any automatic brightness controls based on your environment.

You cant completely blame it on TVs though, Movie set memes is hammering this pretty hard

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »
CaptainVideo: the problem isn't just that it's dark, it's the compression artifacts that creates. No amount of fiddling with my TV set is going to replace picture information or brightness and color information that just isn't there.

personate-rain