Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 11384 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2019, 05:51:48 PM »
There is still time for them to answer questions about the night king, I really hope they do so because if the last 3 episodes are about Cercei/Dany I will be very unhappy.

Also- Literally all the night king had to do was have his zombies hold Bran once everyone else was dead. He was up against seemingly the worlds worst military strategists (seriously, a fucking tween was telling people which walls to defend etc. Its fine for someone young to be confident and wise, why are they asking me to believe she is somehow a great military commander too? But that giant kill was badass.) and almost all of them were dead.
To spend thousands of years sitting in the snow plotting and then fail so unbelievably hard....there really needed to be more from his POV in previous seasons if thats how this was going to go.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »
I don't think that lore will be explored in this series any more.  I think they will leave that to the planned spin-offs.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2019, 07:02:49 PM »
Talking it through with a friend, I realised I actually hate this show.
Im only hanging around for Aryas badass moments once a season (seriously, take her out of that episode and whats left?) And to see the hound kill the mountain.
Im not quite sure when this happened but probably around the time it started to deviate from the books for fan service and ignore time and space?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »
I actually have to amend my previous complaints about artifacts: the issue is actually HBO Go’s encoding or bandwidth.  I’ve just been rewatching in my DirecTV Now app, and things that were muddy messes on HBO are gorgeous there.  One place where it really stood out was in the scene with Jon and Dany on the hill overlooking the battlefield; what was a murky blur on HBO Go is a beautiful clouded sky on DirecTV.

In my opinion it’s still too dark, and I have to turn the brightness up too high on my phone, which turns the blacks gray.  But at least I can then see what they were going for.  I’ll give it a try later with DirectTV Now on my AppleTV.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2019, 11:04:55 PM »
I'm watching on HBO Now on roku over a 1gb connection, it perfectly clean for me.  ;D

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2019, 12:15:54 AM »
I'm watching on HBO Now on roku over a 1gb connection, it perfectly clean for me.  ;D

I’m kinda doubting that your 1gb connection is functionally different from my 200mb one for the purposes of streaming HBO. I’m guessing that it’s being served at a bit rate of about 5mbps.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2019, 12:57:47 AM »

I’m kinda doubting that your 1gb connection is functionally different from my 200mb one for the purposes of streaming HBO. I’m guessing that it’s being served at a bit rate of about 5mbps.

I don't care, I'm still going to brag about it  :P

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2019, 01:09:44 AM »
hmm, this article claims amazon streams it a 10 mbs rather than the 5 from HBO. Now I want to try amazon although I saw no pixelation or artifacting with HBO Now and I would notice something like that without even looking for it.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/29/18522550/game-of-thrones-got-season-8-hbo-battle-of-winterfell-long-night-fix-tv-settings-darkness

I’ve seen reports that Amazon, which sells HBO service for $15 per month through Prime Video, tends to stream Game of Thrones at around 10Mbps, while HBO Now and HBO Go output the show at closer to 5Mbps. That difference might seem small, but it’s significant. Amazon’s version of Game of Thrones is less likely to show distracting pixelation or macro-blocking. I’ve asked both companies for specifics around their Game of Thrones presentation. But there’s a consensus among cord-cutting nerds on Reddit that Amazon is tops right now.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2019, 01:18:57 AM »
Out of curiosity I opened the HBO Now app in my web browser on my computer, i do see artifacting and crappy encoding. When I compare to the TV its gone. Is the HBO app on the Roku better at than the computer?

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2019, 08:13:12 AM »
My HBO account is tied to my Hulu account.  So, I watched it through Hulu/HBO via my Roku.  I get about 60 megs down on average on my internet connection...no actual idea what my older roku stick gets.  It looked fine through most of it on my TV.  There were a few parts in the dark chaos that my TV couldn't keep up and I saw some artifacting...but my TV wasn't top end when I bought it 4+ years ago so it's not exactly screaming now.  Other than a few hiccups that I expected it was fine.  When there was light, there were some gorgeous shots in that episode.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »
What I'm reading suggests that HBO Now/Go streams at an average bitrate of about 5mbps, while Amazon/Hulu/DirecTV Now all stream in the 9-10mbps range.  Last night I did a test of both on my phone and found the HBO Go version blurry and full of artifacts while the DirecTV Now version was significantly better.  It would appear that HBO, which uses MLB Advanced Media as its backend, is just serving sub-par quality video.

I have no idea what differs between your Roku and phone or between it and my AppleTV; I would guess it's doing some processing that you're not aware of.  I also bet that if you compared one of the higher-bitrate alternatives even to your Roku stream you'd see the difference.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2019, 09:15:14 AM »
What's the status of Dorne? The Red Woman has that prophecy about the prince who is promised. I noticed Dorne is ruled by a prince. Is it possible it's a reference to Dorne's prince saving the day against Circe? Or my theory is Jon rules in the North as a Prince with Dany ruling in the south.

And why did they make their stand at Winterfell? Isn't The Eyrie a way more defensible place?
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2019, 09:40:57 AM »
If your goal is to survive a siege as long as possible (before ultimately starving), probably. Then again, Viserion could probably slag the Eyrie anyway...

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2019, 12:39:41 PM »
Oh man... I'd been looking for the old Game of Thrones threads and didn't see this one until now...

All in all, this season is what I've come to expect from the show; good actors, excellent directors, top notch visuals and CG, beautiful music, and plenty of wonderful moments... all in service of a boring and straight-forward story that embraces ALL of the tropes this show got famous for subverting.  At this point, I'm mainly watching because I'm too invested not to and because despite the terrible mangling of all that was good about this show's story, they still deliver some of the best moments of any show.  Last season was awash with stupidity but the Battle of the Bastards was a master class in great film-making.

I think this last episode really hit home for me just how conventional and bland the showrunner's vision is for the endgame of the show and just how silly it's been for all us viewers to continue theorizing about all the ways the show will surprise and devastate us.  With the Battle of Winterfell, they had a real opportunity to have one last go at upending the hero's narrative momentum like they did with Ned's beheading, the Red Wedding, and Jon's stabbing and then looking at what's left and figure out what the new narrative is.  Save for a few characters, they could have killed off literally anyone and still have enough to work with to keep us all invested.  Instead, they were lazy and just decided to kill only the characters who have done all they were going to do anyways.  I'm also left feeling totally deflated at how the Others were finally defeated; not Arya killing the Night King specifically (that moment was fantastic), but at how it's just done.  These guys have been touted as the REAL enemy since literally the first scene of the series and in the last season, the main plot point was how all this squabbling over the throne was pointless in the face of the Others, but in one episode... BOOM.  The entire conflict is waged and won and we are now left with 3 episodes of squabbling over the unimportant throne. 

On top of that, Cersei has devolved into just a cartoonish villain, Euron is just the absolute worst and may actually top what they did to Doran for worst translation of a character from the books to the show.  I can't stand the thought that the battle between them and Jon and Dany is going to be given more gravity and time than the battle against army of the dead...  That said, the reason it is going to be given more attention is the same reason I feel so deflated by the Others' defeat; we understand Cersei and her motivations and character, but we didn't know anything about the Night King until an episode ago where Bran just lays it out in 2 sentences.  I'm not saying Cersei should have been ignored, but the Night King definitely shouldn't have been.  Could have at least had some more Bran time-travelling to explore it some more and give him something to do besides bore me to death.

The funny thing about the show now is that I'm realizing, while I still care about the characters I am completely uninterested in their goals.  I don't care anymore who sits on the iron throne (who are we kidding? It will be Jon because the show doesn't have the balls not to have it's main, male protagonist win.), don't really care about who marries who, don't really care about which person gets to kill Cersei and Euron.  About the only thing I'm seriously looking forward to now is Clegane-Bowl.

Oh, and I almost forgot in reference to an earlier complaint about Jon's actual given name; I can't remember if it's in the books or the show too, but IIRC there was a prophecy that said the Prince that was Promised would be named Aegon and Rhagar was obsessed with fulfilling the prophecy and was convinced his child would be that prince.  That's why he named both his boys Aegon.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:47:35 PM by Eternally Learning »

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2019, 01:20:27 PM »

Save for a few characters, they could have killed off literally anyone and still have enough to work with to keep us all invested. 

Well, there is a trope in literature that the main characters are the ones who survive all the challenges and live to tell their stories, or those who are close to them.

Instead, they were lazy and just decided to kill only the characters who have done all they were going to do anyways.

By definition, that's pretty much the way of the world (both this one, and in Westeros, with a few exceptions).

On top of that, Cersei has devolved into just a cartoonish villain, Euron is just the absolute worst and may actually top what they did to Doran for worst translation of a character from the books to the show.  I can't stand the thought that the battle between them and Jon and Dany is going to be given more gravity and time than the battle against army of the dead...  That said, the reason it is going to be given more attention is the same reason I feel so deflated by the Others' defeat; we understand Cersei and her motivations and character, but we didn't know anything about the Night King until an episode ago where Bran just lays it out in 2 sentences.  I'm not saying Cersei should have been ignored, but the Night King definitely shouldn't have been.  Could have at least had some more Bran time-travelling to explore it some more and give him something to do besides bore me to death.

With three episodes left, I would not be surprised if Cersei isn't dealt with in the 7th episode, and the next battle is among the victors over the throne.

Oh, and I almost forgot in reference to an earlier complaint about Jon's actual given name; I can't remember if it's in the books or the show too, but IIRC there was a prophecy that said the Prince that was Promised would be named Aegon and Rhagar was obsessed with fulfilling the prophecy and was convinced his child would be that prince.  That's why he named both his boys Aegon.

It's pretty clear now, at least in the show, that the "prince" (who they established could be a princess) is Arya.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

personate-rain
personate-rain