Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 9984 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2019, 03:14:22 PM »
Jamie kills Circei, Dany kills John, Arya kills Dany.  Gendry becomes king. Sansa becomes Queen in the North.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »
Jamie kills Circei, Dany kills John, Arya kills Dany.  Gendry becomes king. Sansa becomes Queen in the North.

I got into an argument with my roommate about this last night, I also think Jamie kills Circei or tries and fails.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2019, 03:51:21 PM »
It would be better for my fantasy league if Circei kills a lot of people. I kinda hope there is no happy ending, to me that seems to truer to the world the show creates but not sure that will happen. Hollywood is a sucker for a happy ending.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »
I'm worried about Arya... the assassin who trained her is on Cercei's side and probably has her on his list  :(
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2019, 04:03:38 PM »
Jaqen H'Ghar works for Cersei? 
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »
Brienne is instantly turned from bad ass warrior into weeping lover watching her man go off to die instead of staying home with her,

She was weeping as her lover left her to go back to his sister/lover.
Yeah that wasnt unclear.
Its just a betrayal of the character we had come to love and respect.
If she thought he was going to fight with Cersei she would be angry and aggressive.
If she thought he was going back to kill Cersei she would say something like "You are an idiot. But I hope you come back".

No one is confused about why she cried. We are annoyed at the bad writing that allowed her to cry for such a reason.

Maybe it was just my expectations coloring my perceptions, but I actually thought he was leaving to fight her because now he realized she might win.  If what you're saying is supposed to be the case then man... that's even freaking worse.  As for the crying thing, like with many other contrivances this show has been guilty of, it's not that that they haven't said why this thing may be happening that I dislike at all.  My objection is that they manipulate the narrative and characters in unnatural ways to create moments they want to have and in this case they manipulated the scenario to have Brienne, in a dress, bawling her eyes out over her lost love in the same episode Dany's closest advisers debate treason against her because she's becoming too emotional.  Compare Brienne's scene to earlier in the episode where Gendry basically goes through the same scenario.
I also think he is going to fight.
There are some who think he is going to join her.

Regardless of interpretation, Brienne crying over it is a load of bollocks.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2019, 04:58:21 PM »
Jaqen H'Ghar works for Cersei?

I think so. The Iron Bank is from Braavos and IIRC he's worked for them. But there is telling if he's working for them now. 

I should have said he could be on her side.

(I wonder if it's worth looking at all the faces in this last episode to see if he's one of them).

I'm still worried about my precious Arya.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2019, 06:45:31 PM »
Haven't you been paying attention? There is no Jaquen H'ghar, there are only faceless men who have worn that face and they do not work for the Iron Bank.  As for my predictions, I'm now thinking we won't have another big battle, or at least it won't be the focus. I'm guessing Sandor and Arya try and go after Cersei but Gregor gets the drop on Arya. No idea if she dies or not, but I'd wager Sandor dies protecting her and killing Gregor. I think Jaime uses that distraction to sneak in and kill Cersei, maybe while she's gloating over Arya and Sandor failing. As for Jon and Dany, 100% Jon wins the iron throne at this point, but I doubt he kills Dany. It'll be Tyrion.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »
I wonder if Arya may have to choose between revenge and saving her family from Dany?

Back to being negative- The north no longer need scouts or spies. They have Bran. Who they dont use and dont press for more clear answers when they do.

Online CarbShark

Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
I'd wager Sandor dies protecting her and killing Gregor. I think Jaime uses that distraction to sneak in and kill Cersei, maybe while she's gloating over Arya and Sandor failing.

I’ll take that bet.

As for Jon and Dany, 100% Jon wins the iron throne at this point, but I doubt he kills Dany. It'll be Tyrion.

100% ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2019, 07:58:38 PM »
As for Jon and Dany, 100% Jon wins the iron throne at this point, but I doubt he kills Dany. It'll be Tyrion.

100% ?

Well, I'll hedge a bit.  I don't think Jon will die, and I do think Dany will, but there's an outside chance there will not even be an Iron Throne to sit on either physically or essentially in that there may not be a unified 7 Kingdoms or monarchy at all.

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
Yeah, there were lots of confusing things from a practical perspective.  I don't see how anyone with a dragon gets surprised by a fleet, for instance.  And any bolt that could do the kind of damage those did to a ship, fired from a firm mount, would capsize the ship it was fired from.  And just how many months are we supposed to believe that Circei has had to develop these defenses?

A lot of the writing in seasons 7 and 8 bothers me, but these few things that I've seen repeated about episode 4 don't really stick out to me.

I assumed the 10 or so ships were hidden by the islands. The fact that they could shoot that far with that kind of accuracy on the first few shots is ridiculous to me. Not the surprise part.

I don't think for a second those ballistas would capsize those ships. We can't know the vertical center of gravity or center of buoyancy but even if it fired directly port or starboard (they appeared to fire forward) there's still no way it capsizes. The heeling moment arm would have to be insane.

Given the amount of travelling I assume many months have passed. That seems like a reasonable amount of time for a city preparing for war to be capable of building 100 ballistas.

At this point it's painfully obvious that the writing has suffered but it also feels obvious to me that some people decided to hate the remainder of the show in advance. I think a lot of those people will hate whatever happens from here on because they're committed to it.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2019, 04:51:03 AM »
At this point it's painfully obvious that the writing has suffered but it also feels obvious to me that some people decided to hate the remainder of the show in advance. I think a lot of those people will hate whatever happens from here on because they're committed to it.

Also because it is really, really bad and lazy. Nothing matters anymore and I am happy to see the backlash growing ever stronger. I feel vindicated.

The best summary is how they did not bother to include Jon saying goodbye to Ghost, because of  CGI budget reasons. It was all kinds of wrong. They could have had him killed in battle, which would have been even cheaper. But no. They could have made a point about Jon leaving his Stak heritage behind to embrace his Targ side. They did not do that and they killed "his" dragon anyway. They could have done a goodbye scene. They did not.

They decided to keep him alive for no reason whatsoever (Ghost hasn't served any purpose and hasn't even been seen all that much for seasons), and then they film a half-assed scene that makes no sense, which contradicts previous events for no reason and call it a day: no Wildling would ever want to go back beyond the wall. All they ever wanted was to get South, which is not a barely habitable frozen wastelend.

But I guess the foreginers have to go back where they came from. Hell, this show is really developing some weirdly white supremacist tendencies. I am less and less suprised aboutt their upcoming Confederate fasc-fiction project.

Oh, and I just noticed that King's landing is in the desert now, somehow.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2019, 05:19:06 AM »
I think its very unfair to handwave the mountain of legit criticism of the show as people deciding to hate it in advance.
They have had 2 (at least) really poorly written and paced seasons. "The writers had to get people to the end point" would not be accepted as an excuse in any other story whatsoever!
I love lots of things that almost everyone hates, I dont feel the need to assume those people have just made their minds up arbitrarily, I accept that maybe what I like is bad but its ok to still like it. GoT is nowhere near that level. Its totally possible for people to just not like how they have done things and be open to enjoying the good moments.

People keep saying though that this or that may have happened over the course of weeks/months but we have an actual clock in Westeros that can tell us this is not the case- Cercei got pregnant from sex with Jaime and is still not showing even when naked with Euron.
On Ghost, I dont think he really can die because of the implications of a Starks wolf dying in the narrative. But yeah, Im sure the free folk would have no interest in taking over some of the farmland or keeps that have been left empty in the wake of the night king (whose impact on the narrative going forward seems to be the same as if a plague had hit the north).

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2019, 05:47:32 AM »
Let's not forget that HBO wanted 10 seasons, and it was the decision of the useless showrunners to cut it short, because they were ending the story.

On Ghost, I dont think he really can die because of the implications of a Starks wolf dying in the narrative.

The wolves had no narrative purpose since the death of Grey Wind in Season 3.

personate-rain
personate-rain