Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 9933 times)

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2019, 08:14:21 AM »
Fan theory goes Tyrian tells Cersei to think of her baby. Euron of course thinks its his baby. But if Euron works out the time line, Cersei clearly told Tyrian before Euron banged the queen. So it's not his baby. Fan theory goes Euron then kills Cersei. Frankly, given some of the lazy writing, I doubt they've even thought about this.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2019, 08:17:47 AM »
Fan theory goes Tyrian tells Cersei to think of her baby. Euron of course thinks its his baby. But if Euron works out the time line, Cersei clearly told Tyrian before Euron banged the queen. So it's not his baby. Fan theory goes Euron then kills Cersei. Frankly, given some of the lazy writing, I doubt they've even thought about this.

I don't know. If I remember correctly, they made sure Euron was in that shot...and I thought I caught a flicker in his eye when he heard that.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2019, 08:38:45 AM »
Based on the leaks I saw, it is going to be WAY more stupid

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »
Can we agree to a policy in this thread of limiting spoiler discussion to officially-released materials?  I'm fine with trailers, 'next week on', etc., as well as book discussion (though I haven't read the books) and even interviews with principles; but I don't want to be spoiled by leaked information.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2019, 09:47:25 AM »
Can we agree to a policy in this thread of limiting spoiler discussion to officially-released materials?  I'm fine with trailers, 'next week on', etc., as well as book discussion (though I haven't read the books) and even interviews with principles; but I don't want to be spoiled by leaked information.
I concur.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2019, 10:19:04 AM »
I agree.

Last season the leaks helped me to enjoy the remaining eps a bit more because I wasnt surprised by anything and didnt have such negative reactions in the moment.
Having read the leaks for this season, I feel a weight lifted in terms of no longer trying to guess.
I guess that study that implied spoilers add to enjoyment was right?
In some cases at least. I would have hated to have the battle spoiled for me.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2019, 06:28:44 AM »

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2019, 06:54:43 AM »
Haha! Oh man... If that's not emblematic of how sloppy the writing has gotten, I don't know what is. I mean, it was last friggin season.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2019, 10:27:11 PM »
Well......that was.......crap.

sigh.

Spectacular, well produced......but crap.

I've defended this show all season,but.......that was crap.

Arya is going to kill Dany.

It's the Arya Stark Saga.

Crap

Disappointing crap.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2019, 12:13:19 AM »
I just don’t know what to say.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2019, 02:16:21 AM »
For the first time, I'm considering not even watching the next episode.  This was quite possibly the stupidest and worst way this episode could have gone.  Fuck these writers.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2019, 03:05:46 AM »
Anyone else literally depressed after this episode?  Like, I'm trying to do my usual routine of perusing memes and reddit discussions, but I'm realizing I don't want to even think about it.  I don't want to analyze it.  I'm just wildly disappointed, and that's after having my expectations drastically lowered after every episode this season and after each of the previous two seasons...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:18:43 AM by Eternally Learning »

Offline 1Pirate

• Well Established
« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2019, 03:35:50 AM »
Whelp, two episodes to destroy 7 seasons of character development. I’ll admit I enjoyed it, but in a more watching-a-slow-motion-train-full-of-improbably-armed-nuclear-missiles-crash-into-a-brick-wall way, not in a epic-fight-delivering-character-and-narrative-payoffs-from-the-previous-seven-seasons way. I wasn’t expecting much, but I was hoping Cersei had a Wildfire-Mk II plan that Jaime stopped by killing her.

I’m in the “Arya kills Dany” prediction camp. Still want to know what happens, maybe they’ll surprise me with something like a “Davos ends up on the Iron Throne” ending.

The Critics agree:     "1pirate is too good" --Black Magic
                                 "1pirate is too damn good" --AlexButterfield
                                 "F*ckin 1P - we really need to kill him" --StoneQuarry

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2019, 04:23:21 AM »
I just don't get it. At all.

Is this what they were really going for? This is the ending that they worked for? Are D&D satisified? Did they want to make their own Batman vs. Superman, just even worse?

They have been seeding the Mad Queen thing for a long time, and it is fine. I get it, and I can even support it. But they went from seeding to just going to the cornerstone and buying the produce.

Yes, two dragons died, but she never really cared about them since they were grown and didn't even mourn the dead ones all that much. Missandei also died, but they haven't had an on-screen conversation in forever and her importance was never shown, only mentioned maybe three times altogether. She was isolated and ignored, but just because the writers isolated her so that they could build Jon up without any internal logic. Her conquest of Westeros did not go well due to artificial contrivances that never made any sense, and because besides the North and King's Landing, Westeros does not even exist any more. And she hears bells and goes all genocidal.

Talking about Jon. He is the mediocre white dude designated protagonist that all mediocre white male writers love. He is now clearly the anti-Dany (no Targaryen madness there at all) because he has a penis. He is a great king, even though he gave up his crown in about two minutes. He is a fantastic leader who abandoned every single post he ever held. He is legendary commander who lost every single one of his battles, but was then miraculously saved by someone else showing up in the last minute. I get why Dany is fed up with him.

Also, I have so many questions. This was the big conculsion, the siege of King's Landing that we have been anticipating for three seasons? There was hardly any fighting, one dragon just mopped it all up. Why introuce the Golden Company when they served no role whatsoever? Why have Jaime go through 8 seasons of character development and then just walk back on it in two episodes? Why build Cersei up as a big villain and then have her watch the whole spectacle and then be killed by rocks? Why have a compelling, complex female character reduced to motherhood before the end? Why does Tyrion suddenly care about the people of King's Landing, especially the innocent small children? He sure never cared about it before. Where did Varys' sanity go? Are we supposed to overlook the whole "evil mostly brown barbarians rape and pillage through the innocent, white populace and destroy civilisation" thing or is it the point? How did the scorpion operators suddenly forgot how to hit a dragon flying at top speed  three times, at the range of a kilometre or two? How many times did Arya die this episode? What was the point of Cleganebowl besides stupid fanservice that would have made JJ Abrams blush? Why did Euron attack Jaime? Are all prophercies now bullshit?

I could go on and on, the more I think... What the hell happeend to Sandor? His story was never about revenge against his brother. He is a broken person who hates the world and himself, who is tired of violence and just wants to get out. I think his story ended in the books, I sure hope so, and it was a perfect ending for him. In the show, he was there, but then he was brought back to square one, to be a gruff murder machine who says "fuck" a lot. And then he dies.

My predictions are that Jon kills Dany (Arya seems to be on an arc away from murder and revenge, though D&D don't really care about arcs in any way, so who knows. She may just end up in Storm's End after all), but he may also die. The Iron Throne will be symbolically destroyed, that is certain. Tyrion will surely end up at some leadership role, because he is clearly the best and smartest and kindest person in the world (if you ignore every single one of his actions and decisions and just concentrate on what everyone else is saying about him for no discerneable reason). Or he may die due to the treason he committed, just to "subvert expectations", even though he has no living witnesses. Sansa will do something, probably rule the North. I hope she won't re-marry Tyrion, that would be awful. Bran will say something ominous in the end. Davos and Grey Worm won't do anything significant. Yara may show up, but probably won't.

Meera Reed, Daario Naharis, Edmure Tully, Aeron Greyjoy and probably a dozen more forgotten characters will never be seen again.

What I really hope is the rumour that GRRM already has both upcoming books ready, he was just waiting for the show to end. Because I want to see if it was really always going to be this horrendous.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:52:15 AM by Rai »

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2019, 08:31:43 AM »
I don't agree with everything you've said, Rai, but I am for the first time more in agreement with you than not. Not sure about your predictions, though.

Where did Varys' sanity go?

Pretty sure he tried to have a little girl poison Dany.  Confronting Jon was an act of desperation when she wouldn't eat.

personate-rain
personate-rain