Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 9983 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]
« Reply #210 on: May 13, 2019, 08:33:06 AM »
Yeah. Cercei and jaime dying together was unsatisfying but i preferred it to a face to face thing. Basically, Dany killed her. And it had to go that way or whoever killed her was also killing an unborn baby and thats a step too far for the show.
They FUCKED jaime.
Tyrion should have fled during the battle, how does he think he will be left alive?!
There was no set up for how far Dany went. She murdered a city instead of just going straight for cersei. It was totally out of character for her and only happened cos they need her to be mad suddenly.
Euron vs Jaime was fucking annoying and pathetic.
Arya gave up on revenge only to get back into revenge. Notice how much she looks like Ned Stark now btw?

I think knowing the spoilers helped me to not get mad. It was better than all the other episodes for the last 2 seasons for me since I just dont expect the choices to make sense any more and it had way more Arya and Clegane.

It occurs to me I should have been reading spoilers all along, afterall, thats how I started the show having read the books and it never bothered me at all.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2019, 08:55:49 AM »
I disagree that it was totally out of character for Danny. There has been a lot of foreshadowing of her doing this, this season and through out the show reminders of her family's history of bloodlust. I do find amusing all that Daenerys has been a somewhat popular baby name and how the parents will feel about naming there child after a murdering war criminal.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2019, 09:09:12 AM »
I would say it was very much in character, but way out of character progression.

It was as if you took Harrenhall-era Arya and made her kill all the Freys the next episode.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
This is just another example of them trying to fit too much into too little screen time.

The Mad Queen thing has been coming for years now.  I had it in my mind at least back to whenever she was crucifying the "good masters".  Season 3?  But she went from 10mph to 100mph with the sounding of some bells.  I get it, but it should have taken longer or something.  I'm not particularly mad about it, but it's just another example from these last two seasons of them being in a hurry to get this show over with.

There were things I liked.  I really liked the scene where Tyrion frees Jamie.  The conversation between them was played great between the actors.  Tyrion knows he will die for it, but has always loved his brother.  I liked the final scene between Arya and the Hound.  It was compressed (like everything else this season) and they should have had more scenes leading up that showed her thirst for vengeance was still around, we haven't heard much of it since she has been reunited with her family.  But I did like how it ended.

And I know, I'm a bit of a sap, but I liked Clegainebowl.  From the leadup with Qyburn getting snuffed out, to final act of death by fire.  Really dug it.  The shot of them on the stairs with the dragon overhead is everything that Jr. High me couldn't have imagined being on TV.

Things I didn't like...dragons are once again invincible.  I mean, I'm fine with dragons being invincible.  I'm not fine with one week going from "they are in real mortal danger so we're going to have to rethink how we take this city" to "nevermind, they are unstoppable killing machines".  The one dragon died from the Night King.  Fine, magic, whatever.  But that second dragon died just to make us rethink how easy it would be for Dany to take Kings Landing.  Then, it is just that easy for Dany to take Kings Landing.

Second, the end of the Lannister twins.  Look, I gave zero fucks one way or another about the Euron fight, Jamie killed him, fine.  Someone needed to and it might as well have been him.  Lena Heady played the ending as well as I've seen a performance from an actor dealing with the impending death of their character.  It was masterful on her part.  It was garbage on the writers.  I'm fine with her breaking down at the end when she sees Jamie.  I'm not OK with Jamie being there to protect her because he loves her.  Also, there is a chance they aren't dead, which will annoy me further.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #214 on: May 13, 2019, 09:19:19 AM »
If Dany had just destroyed the Red Keep or even just started with the Red Keep, it would have made a lot more sense than deciding to specifically target the innocents of the city, not to mention seemingly not caring about her own soldiers.  Also, I call being totally correct on her magically having a large Dothraki and Unsullied army again after they appeared to have been completely sacrificed (for no reason) during the Battle of Winterfell. 

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #215 on: May 13, 2019, 09:30:28 AM »
Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see the Dothraki.  I figured some Unsullied had survived Winterfell; but it seemed to me the Dothraki were just plain wiped out.  They might have had a platoon standing by for a more traditional use of cavalry while their fellow horsemen were thrown away in a head on collision with fresh troops.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »
I am also not sure whose idea was it to assault a city with cavalry. That isn't quite how it works.

Though, it is the same series where two separate armies decided to defend the city walls from the outside.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2019, 10:17:58 AM »
I am also not sure whose idea was it to assault a city with cavalry. That isn't quite how it works.

Though, it is the same series where two separate armies decided to defend the city walls from the outside.

There was a scene where they said half the unsullied and half the Dothraki were killed.

You don't always go to war with the army you want, sometimes you must fight with the army you have.

(once the city walls were breached it went pretty well)
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2019, 10:29:29 AM »

There was a scene where they said half the unsullied and half the Dothraki were killed.

You don't always go to war with the army you want, sometimes you must fight with the army you have.

(once the city walls were breached it went pretty well)

Dismounted cavalry is how horsemen were always used in siege warfare. Maybe they could have saved enough money by skipping the horses to allow for Jon to at least scritch Ghost.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2019, 10:50:50 AM »
I know there have been little hints of the Mad Queen over the seasons, but nothing that would explain the sharp left turn she took this week with her sunken eyes and refusal to eat and wanton massacre of innocents.
It was expected that she would callously allow (and maybe even relish) innocents to be caught up in sacking the city, but to actively murder them herself instead of going after the people who killed her friend and dragon makes zero sense to me at all. We havent seen this kind of paychopathy from that character, even with the Tarlys which was a pretty reasonable action in the context of the world.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »
This is just another example of them trying to fit too much into too little screen time.

The Mad Queen thing has been coming for years now.  I had it in my mind at least back to whenever she was crucifying the "good masters".  Season 3?  But she went from 10mph to 100mph with the sounding of some bells.  I get it, but it should have taken longer or something.  I'm not particularly mad about it, but it's just another example from these last two seasons of them being in a hurry to get this show over with.

I agree that it all comes down to it being too rushed. Imagine if they'd had three eight-episode seasons to accomplish it in (as I understand HBO wanted), rather than one six-episode season. They could have shown real betrayal, increasing isolation, and most importantly developing madness and increasingly despotic behavior.  This could have grown until Jon ultimately abandoned or even openly challenged her, which unhinged her. And they could have established that she came to blame the entire population of Westeros for her problems to give her some motivation. The turn was just too abrupt.

Things I didn't like...dragons are once again invincible.  I mean, I'm fine with dragons being invincible.  I'm not fine with one week going from "they are in real mortal danger so we're going to have to rethink how we take this city" to "nevermind, they are unstoppable killing machines".

Exactly.

I'm not OK with Jamie being there to protect her because he loves her.

This was perhaps the most infuriating part for me. They gave him an arc and allowed us to watch him grow over eight seasons, and then they just undid everything in one episode. They're not just subverting expectations here, but subverting the very characters they themselves established. I think that Benioff and Weisse don't know the difference.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2019, 12:12:08 PM »
I know there have been little hints of the Mad Queen over the seasons, but nothing that would explain the sharp left turn she took this week with her sunken eyes and refusal to eat and wanton massacre of innocents.
It was expected that she would callously allow (and maybe even relish) innocents to be caught up in sacking the city, but to actively murder them herself instead of going after the people who killed her friend and dragon makes zero sense to me at all. We havent seen this kind of paychopathy from that character, even with the Tarlys which was a pretty reasonable action in the context of the world.

When you push someone that hard that was abused as much as Dani was as a child they tend to strike back the way they were brought up. The anger was always there and she felt she had no choice, she choose fear. She planned this, she never intended to stop at the bells.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2019, 12:26:42 PM »
I knew it! LOL still better if it was Bob.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: May 13, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »

When you push someone that hard that was abused as much as Dani was as a child they tend to strike back the way they were brought up. The anger was always there and she felt she had no choice, she choose fear. She planned this, she never intended to stop at the bells.
When you write a story, you set things up in a way that hopefully the audience doesnt see coming but that when it does, they can look back and see that it was always inevitable.
That is not the case here. You can make such arguments all day and in the real world, people flip the fuck out and do mass murders all the time, but this was not sufficiently developed or earned.
Its bad writing.

Even when Ned died, we couldnt really be mad, because we had been told since the start that his honour was a liability. It was set up sufficiently.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2019, 01:24:20 PM »

When you write a story, you set things up in a way that hopefully the audience doesnt see coming but that when it does, they can look back and see that it was always inevitable.
That is not the case here. You can make such arguments all day and in the real world, people flip the fuck out and do mass murders all the time, but this was not sufficiently developed or earned.
Its bad writing.

Even when Ned died, we couldnt really be mad, because we had been told since the start that his honour was a liability. It was set up sufficiently.

I don't agree, I think if you go back and watch you will see that it was inevitable. Her advisors have always had to try and keep her at bay. They even pointed out how she reacted to her brothers death. She gets happy when her enemies die, she almost looks ecstatic, John usually gets sad like Ned, its the difference in how they were brought up.

I think this was Martins plan from the beginning just like John.

personate-rain