Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 9945 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]
« Reply #225 on: May 13, 2019, 01:33:23 PM »
Several people (including myself) have been predicting that she would end up being the Mad Queen for years.  That wasn't just speculation, it was specifically from clues in the show/text.

While I agree that the final turn was rushed, that's nothing new on this season.  The whole last short season should have been two full seasons.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #226 on: May 13, 2019, 01:48:58 PM »
Things I didn't like...dragons are once again invincible.  I mean, I'm fine with dragons being invincible.  I'm not fine with one week going from "they are in real mortal danger so we're going to have to rethink how we take this city" to "nevermind, they are unstoppable killing machines".   

I had no problem with that.  The first dragon was taken by complete surprise. It was flying low, slow and straight and they had no clue that the weapon was there.

Once that happened, Dany was able to maneuver to avoid being hit too, despite a lot of arrows (bolts?) in the air.

In last night's episode, she flew out of the sun, making it difficult to be seen until it was too late. 

Plus, the bows (crossbows) are unwieldily and slow to pivot and aim.  That made it easy and believable for Dany to outflank them and destroy them from behind.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #227 on: May 13, 2019, 02:11:14 PM »
I liked the fight between the hound and the mountain, I think that was my favorite part. I also like what he did for Arya.

Im ok with Cersei and Jamies death. Jamie got what he wanted by dying in his sisters arms. They were both buried alive, personally, I think I would rather be killed by dragon fire than buried alive.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2019, 02:13:58 PM »
Several people (including myself) have been predicting that she would end up being the Mad Queen for years.  That wasn't just speculation, it was specifically from clues in the show/text.

While I agree that the final turn was rushed, that's nothing new on this season.  The whole last short season should have been two full seasons.
The clues were absolutely there. But they skipped about 5 steps to make it happen before the last episode.
If they werent so locked on having it happen within the same space as Cercei being defeated then at the current pace, she would have been queen for a few years when people realised she had become a tyrant.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2019, 02:22:36 PM »
For those that are disappointed I am wondering if there was anything you did like about the episode?

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2019, 02:29:17 PM »
I think it's hard to argue that it wasn't shot well.  There are several absolutely stunningly lit scenes early on the episode.  I don't know how much was lighting and camera work and how much was done in Post, but the visuals on this episode are stellar.  I know people will balk at the video game quality of the Clegainebowl fight, very Snyderesque, but in this environment it was great for me (and I hate most Snyder films).
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2019, 03:01:26 PM »
For those that are disappointed I am wondering if there was anything you did like about the episode?
I loved every moment of Arya on screen, I loved the Clegane bowl, I really enjoyed the visuals of the battle, I thought Dinklage and Heady did incredible jobs portraying a myriad of emotions with what they were given.
I think the directors did a brilliant job of creating a sense of claustrophobia and panic.
Grey Worm was badass and in character.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2019, 03:10:38 PM »

I thought that, for the most part, it was very well shot (aside from some very obvious mattes of wide views of King's landing that looked like something out of a video game).  Arya's and John's (and everyone else's, to be honest) experience in the streets of King's Landing was visceral and very moving.  I really liked the scenes between Varys and the girl and between Tyrion and Jamie. The destruction of the gate of King's landing was awesome. I thought Circei in the tower and her interactions with Qyburn were very good. Indeed, almost all of the little moments were good; it's just that they were in service of a plot that the writers did not earn and which therefore left them feeling hollow.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2019, 03:14:19 PM »

I thought that, for the most part, it was very well shot (aside from some very obvious mattes of wide views of King's landing that looked like something out of a video game).  Arya's and John's (and everyone else's, to be honest) experience in the streets of King's Landing was visceral and very moving.  I really liked the scenes between Varys and the girl and between Tyrion and Jamie. The destruction of the gate of King's landing was awesome. I thought Circei in the tower and her interactions with Qyburn were very good. Indeed, almost all of the little moments were good; it's just that they were in service of a plot that the writers did not earn and which therefore left them feeling hollow.

oh yea, I forgot about Jamie and Tyrion, I teared up a bit during that scene. It was very moving.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2019, 03:15:30 PM »
I was thinking over the episode today at work and started thinking about Qyburn's death.  I mean, not the death itself.  But Cersei tells Gregor to stay, he doesn't.  Qyburn orders him to obey the Queen and gets smashed by the Hulk.  Cersei, in my headcannon, then says "In that case, pardon me gentlemen" and politely excuses herself down the stairs.  I literally chuckled watching that last night.  I don't know what that says about me.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline 1Pirate

• Well Established
« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2019, 03:46:47 PM »

With about one or two seasons more of build-up, I would have liked this episode much better. It was well shot, great visuals and production values. I enjoyed the Sandor/Gregor fight. Oddly, I actually liked Euron’s death. He went down thinking he had a legacy as the father of the next royal child and as the man who killed Jaime Lannister, when in fact he’d been tricked about the former and no one would ever know about the latter. The Jaime and Tyrion scene was good as well.
The Critics agree:     "1pirate is too good" --Black Magic
                                 "1pirate is too damn good" --AlexButterfield
                                 "F*ckin 1P - we really need to kill him" --StoneQuarry

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2019, 05:12:53 PM »
I think thats it exactly. The showrunners were offered extra seasons and they declined. They could have even made this season longer if they really wanted.
But they rushed everything and it shows.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »
It would have been so much better if they just fucking quit.  Why did they have to take the show with them?
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2019, 05:34:36 PM »
I think thats it exactly. The showrunners were offered extra seasons and they declined. They could have even made this season longer if they really wanted.
But they rushed everything and it shows.

I agree -with more time, they could have come up with better ways to handle things.  I was disappointed by Dany's abandonment of her principles regarding the common folk (I suppose they had to come up with something to eliminate the incestuous relationship between Jon & Dany).  I was also disappointed by the fact that they made Greyworm into a raging monster. Overall, I did enjoy watching it, it just wasn't what I had hoped for.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2019, 05:42:59 PM »
Im sure its more than just the showrunners. Actors don't like long running series and those that do will only do it for more money. You could kill off most of your leads to save money but at that point you have an all new show and that is what they are already doing anyway.

personate-rain
personate-rain