Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 9286 times)

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]
« Reply #270 on: May 15, 2019, 08:10:58 AM »
Yeah, not only do female actors get far fewer chances, female led movie categories get far fewer.  Look at how long it took to get a female lead in a superhero flick.  Everyone just kept pointing out that Catwoman and Electra bombed.  Nobody mentioned that Daredevil and most of the Batman movies of that era also sucked and yet we kept filming male leads in superhero flicks.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2019, 11:15:04 AM »
I guess it's hard for me to think of Momoa as being an unknown, having known him from Stargate Atlantis.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2019, 01:00:44 PM »
Let's not forget Emilia Clarke. She's had a few large movies herself and was pretty unknown before GOT

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2019, 01:16:00 PM »
Is there really any question as to who's star has risen most as a result of GOT?  Peter Dinklage easily.  He's now just a great actor you want in your movie not just a actor who plays midgets and dwarfs.  He's now getting roles(bolivar trask)  where being a dwarf isn't important.  Maybe the first dwarf in movie history to do that. 

Honorable Mention to Sophie Turner and Emilie Clarke but they are both decent actors who are also very good looking women who probably would have had success regardless of GOT. 

Jason Momoa was gonna be an action star regardless.

Lena Headey had a career before and after.  Granted, nothing like the money she's making from this but as an actress, I don't think it impacted her career much.

The rest of the Stark Children, will see but I think only Harrington has a chance of a big bump on account of GOT.  The rest may or may not have decent careers but I don't think GOT will have much impact. 

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #274 on: May 15, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »
Peter Dinklage was a bigger star (so to speak) than any cast member, but Sean Bean.

The show helped them both, but I’d say it helped others more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #275 on: May 15, 2019, 05:37:23 PM »
I think Emilia Clarke has been very let down by some shockingly bad scripts.
Again, once Hollywood finds a new muse of the month I think she will struggle to find leading roles.

I dont see Momoa as a given. He has charisma but on paper there are other actors with better action and acting chops who have failed.
It will be interesting to see how he fares post Aquaman.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #276 on: May 15, 2019, 11:05:32 PM »
I like Momoa, but I honestly don't think he makes a great leading man.  I think he's best as a side-character.  Aquaman was fine, but didn't really blow me away.  Totally agree about Clarke getting signed on with some pretty bad scripts.  I'd love to see her in something more original.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2019, 03:25:27 AM »
This is a really good take on Dany's downfall and the shitty writing behind it:

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2019, 10:03:30 AM »
Lena Headey was earning 1 million USD per episode this season and all she had to do is to drink wine and look out of a window, that is as good as it gets as far as a career goes.

I really would not list Kit Harington as a winner. Yes, he was unknown before, but all he got out of fame so far was a few awful B-movies and playing a minor character in the How to Train Your Dragon sequels.

Success for British actors is not always mainstream Hollywood.........

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/game-of-thrones-stars-stage-kit-maisie_47662.html
One thing I am really happy about is that the show has put in the spotlight many actors without the traditional southern UK accents that one associates with prominent British performers . I think it has actually broken some class barriers in that respect.

It is a bit sad to me that one of the worst actors who had barely any lines is now the one whose kids will never need to work.
On the other hand, Pedro Pascal will be forever beloved!

I heard an interview with Kit Harrington, where he said the producers wanted Ned Stark to speak with a unique accent rather than his native accent, and Sean Bean said "No, I'm not going to do that." So all the cast members whose characters were Starks had to approximate Sean Bean's Yorkshire accent.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
They are all northern so its not difficult for them at all.
Getting a southerner to do that accent would be tough and vice versa.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
Regarding Dany, didn't we all know she was going to do a heel turn at some point? 

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2019, 01:45:39 PM »
Regarding Dany, didn't we all know she was going to do a heel turn at some point?

I think once it was revealed that she's Jon's aunt, she or Jon were toast - one way or the other.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2019, 02:30:55 PM »
Did we? I didnt see much discussion of it when people were predicting who would sit on the throne a season or two ago.

And if one suspected then there was always the possibility they would subvert the arc as they did with Jaime.

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2019, 02:49:08 PM »
I suspected it.  I didn't put a ton of weight on it until after last season.  I don't know what strengthened my thoughts on it, but I thought the odds were pretty good she would turn.  I wouldn't have bet my house on it, but I wouldn't have bet against it either.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2019, 03:05:18 PM »
Mad Dany has been a theory for a while, especially from the books (from what I recall) as they do a lot more leg work in setting her up.  The show didn't do the proper legwork IMO.  Like the video said, foreshadowing is not character development and absolutely nothing has happened to turn the Dany that was devastated over Drogon killing a little girl a few seasons back into someone that would kill them by the thousands.  I was thinking about it a bit and I know the show runners said that they made a conscious decision to focus on the carnage at the ground level in order to show the true cost of her actions, but while I agree that shouldn't have been ignored, I think they made a huge mistake in not showing us Dany's face while she did this.  This is THE defining moment of her character's life, earned by the story thus far or not, and to not see how it changed her and how she was behaving during it really does her a disservice.  It's almost as if they couldn't think of a way to present her doing this that felt right so they decided not to and called the decision "an artistic choice."

personate-rain