Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 10061 times)

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]
« Reply #285 on: May 16, 2019, 03:13:43 PM »
Yeah, it was rushed.  Also, during the episode when Jon decided he wasn't going to give her the "Dick Of The North" anymore, and her response was "Let it be fear then"...I was sold on the Mad Queen theory.  I just don't buy D&D's "in that moment" explanation from the after-show.  I felt like Dany knew she needed the people to well and truly fear her because they will never accept/love her.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #286 on: May 16, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »
Im totally sold on the mad queen thing.
Its not like any real mental illness I know of but this is fiction so fine.

Im just not sold at all on the meticulously mass murdering hundreds of people while your enemy sits right in front of you queen. She was basically playing Pac Man with those people.
There was zero progression to that point and something less bombastic could have had the same plot effect.

Bear in mind we saw this through the eyes of a woman who baked her enemys children into a pie and fed them to him. We didnt think she was going to be anything less than a (or the) hero.
The tarlys was no more a sign of this kind of turn than Ned Stark beheading a terrified deserter was in episode one.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2019, 05:32:32 PM »
The worst is the writers' explanation for the moment she chose to do it. They said that in that moment, she decided to make it "personal.". What's personal about slaughtering thousands that are barely aware you exist?! Personal would have been flying to Cersei and melting her face off. Personal would have been destroying the Red Keep. Personal would have been her facing down the surrendering armies and burning them anyway. Why's she suddenly mad at the small folk?!

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2019, 05:54:18 PM »
Im pretty sure they regret the choice and just want done with it all, but nothing they say about the show can be assumed to be true while they are under contract to promote it.
If they really did have strong negative feelings, they could no more tell us about them than a customer service rep can badmouth their company.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #289 on: May 17, 2019, 04:35:27 AM »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: May 17, 2019, 06:18:31 AM »
Ah Euron.
The improbably great warrior who stormed onto ships cleaving pirates in half.
Lost a fist fight with a one fisted man. Who was established as being a useless warrior without his right hand.

Such writing! Very plot.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #291 on: May 17, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »

Im just not sold at all on the meticulously mass murdering hundreds of people while your enemy sits right in front of you queen. She was basically playing Pac Man with those people.
There was zero progression to that point and something less bombastic could have had the same plot effect.

Bear in mind we saw this through the eyes of a woman who baked her enemys children into a pie and fed them to him. We didnt think she was going to be anything less than a (or the) hero.
The tarlys was no more a sign of this kind of turn than Ned Stark beheading a terrified deserter was in episode one.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The scene with the bells and dany on Drogon, That turning point for her, the breaking point. Everything in that scene, the acting, the mood, even her and Cercei's back and forth. It all pointed for her to go straight to Cersei and she even did. Drogon clearly was flying straight for the red keep. 

At least I can now distinguish which dragon is which.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #292 on: May 17, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »

We re-watched all the seasons leading up to season 8 and picked up on a lot more of the foreshadowing than the first time through. There is a lot of hinting that Dany could flip, that her family has a long dark history of bloodlust, and that you never really know what they will do. The show in general likes to go places people assume it won't. The red wedding was a big dark surprise that afterwards seems inevitable. I  though there was about a 50/50 chance she would do something like this. Martin and this show love to take people to darker places than you think they will. This is no different and suspect as time goes on people will not see this as a shocking move on Dany's part.

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #293 on: May 17, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »
Now there's a fan theory that she was heading straight to the Red Keep, but Bran warged into Drogon and started spraying the city.  She would be powerless to stop him and we never see her face after she starts heading towards the tower.

No idea why they think Bran would want to kill Kings Landing.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #294 on: May 17, 2019, 09:44:49 AM »

We re-watched all the seasons leading up to season 8 and picked up on a lot more of the foreshadowing than the first time through. There is a lot of hinting that Dany could flip, that her family has a long dark history of bloodlust, and that you never really know what they will do. The show in general likes to go places people assume it won't. The red wedding was a big dark surprise that afterwards seems inevitable. I  though there was about a 50/50 chance she would do something like this. Martin and this show love to take people to darker places than you think they will. This is no different and suspect as time goes on people will not see this as a shocking move on Dany's part.

There is also a lot of stuff foreshadowing that she would be a kind ruler who abhors mass murder.

The Red Wedding was a surprise, but the road leading up to it is crystal clear and the mistakes Robb Stark are obvious. It was a surprising, but logical consequence of the events depicted on the show.

Yes, Dany did kill people and did show bloodlust before. However, there was no indication whatsoever that she would show up to a city she has never seen and then burn it to the ground after it surrenders, incinerating hundreds of thousands of people for no discerneable reason. There was no buildup, no clear line of events, just some ambiguous foreshadowing.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #295 on: May 17, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »

The problem is not that it as foreshadowed. It's that it make little sense the way it was depicted. You can blame Rob for the red wedding. You can blame Ned Stark for loosing his head. But who do you blame for Dany loosing hers? Is it pure insanity that made her forget her hatred towards Cercei and go for the people? I can absolutely buy that she can go all crazy and kill the innocents, if it will gain her an upper hand, which is what she has always done and what all the foreshadowing been doing. But on this situation, there is absolutely nothing to be gain and it interrupts the flow of the narrative, aka her going after cercei, to shock the audience.
It was the same with Rhaegal dying. It was only done to shock the audience and to give Dany a motivation to attack. But they way they did it was lazy writing by having the most brilliant minds in westeros and half of the iron fleet, forget that the other half of the iron fleet was a risk, and said huge fleet was invisible from a flying danerys, until they shot the dragon, even when they were in range of the Dany's fleet.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »

There are a lot of "And Then" in this last two episodes.

And then Jaime has to fight Euron.

When looking at the the pivotal scene of the bells, you can see:

The bells ring, but (good)
Dany become mad at the thought of cercei not getting her comeuppances, And Then (if you but Therefore here, it makes no sense)
Dany kills innocents.

Curiously you could have fixed it by having Dany being unable to reach the red keep by some plot device or whatever, therefore Dany has to rely on attacking the city so that the red keep gives up and opens up to her.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2019, 10:28:51 AM »
By the time the attack on Kings Landing began Nearly everyone Dany has been close to or relied on for advice or support has either betrayed her or died.

Her claim to the throne has been undermined in a way that also cost her her lover and confidant.

She said she wanted to rule based on love rather than fear but that wasn’t working out.

If the goal is it rule by fear she had to give the people something to be afraid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »
By the time the attack on Kings Landing began Nearly everyone Dany has been close to or relied on for advice or support has either betrayed her or died.

Her claim to the throne has been undermined in a way that also cost her her lover and confidant.

She said she wanted to rule based on love rather than fear but that wasn’t working out.

If the goal is it rule by fear she had to give the people something to be afraid of.

Ruling by fear is not genocide. Dragons, Dothraki an Unsullied already cause plenty of fear, so does Drogon flying over the city and roasting the Red Keep, with Cersei and all.

On the other hand, dead people are not afraid of anyone.

Not to mention how all those deaths and betrayals were ridiculously contrived and about as believable as Hot Pie being crowned king.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2019, 10:39:16 AM »

Ruling by fear is not genocide. Dragons, Dothraki an Unsullied already cause plenty of fear, so does Drogon flying over the city and roasting the Red Keep, with Cersei and all.

On the other hand, dead people are not afraid of anyone.

Not to mention how all those deaths and betrayals were ridiculously contrived and about as believable as Hot Pie being crowned king.
This.

I can understand her wanting to rule by fear. But rulers, and she knows it, don't make the common folk fear you. They make the nobles and those in the power to oppose you fear you. Hence why I am not complaining about her being ruthless to her enemies and her roasting Varys.

personate-rain