Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 8357 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]
« Reply #315 on: May 19, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »
Ultimately, how I feel about Danaerys’ fall is very similar to how I feel about the fall of Anakin in Revenge of the Sith: in neither case do I think the filmmakers sold the fall.  It wasn’t adequately motivated, and so it just can’t work for me.  In both cases the films are well made, there’s nothing wrong with the premise, and there’s exciting action that makes it a fun ride. But ultimately they can never be great because the one thing above all others that they had to do was convince me that this character would fall in this way, and they failed to do that.

I know that some people buy it.  Perhaps they’re more willing to fill in the blanks for the filmmakers than I am.  Or perhaps they’re less invested in character development.  Whatever the difference, it’s a fundamental one which I cannot get past.  I can intellectually understand what the filmmakers were going for, but if I don’t feel it when I watch it on the screen, then the film has failed in a fundamental way to do what it set out to do.

I envy those who buy it, to be honest.  But I’m not one of them, and I cannot be.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #316 on: May 19, 2019, 12:42:12 PM »
Whatever happens tonight I'm going to sit back and enjoy the show.  This has been a massive accomplishment if not the greatest accomplishment in TV history and I have enjoyed every moment of it even if I did not always agree with the direction it took.

I'm excited and counting down the shows until the ending tonight.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2019, 12:48:38 PM »
I'm also very excited to see the ending, regardless of how I have felt about the show for the last 2 years.

I dont think there is any outcome that I wouldn't be satisfied with as a way to finish the story. Im pretty sure there will be something minor in the episode to bug me as we get there but thats nothing new.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #318 on: May 19, 2019, 02:37:54 PM »
I feel like they've already screwed up both climaxes that the show has been building to since episode so I'm not really expecting to be much more let down than I already am.  I'm just hoping for it not to feel rushed and for the emotions to feel genuine.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #319 on: May 19, 2019, 04:09:43 PM »
I feel like they've already screwed up both climaxes that the show has been building to since episode so I'm not really expecting to be much more let down than I already am.  I'm just hoping for it not to feel rushed and for the emotions to feel genuine.
We rushed to get here, but we are here now. I dont think theres many more leaps they could make or feel the need to make.
I intend to watch with the pretence that we had an extra season or so to fill everything out more organically.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #320 on: May 19, 2019, 04:20:11 PM »
As much as I have been disappointed by the rushed and clumsy last 2 seasons, at least we are going to see an ending.

There is no guarantee I or George will live long enough to see the 'real' end of the story in print. I doubt it will finish in 2 more books. At the rate he is going, George will be in his mid to high 80s when he finishes.

We know the book is going to be different. Sansa might not get the power position she got in the show. Benioff and Weiss upgraded her role to fill the role that Lady Stoneheart will play in the books.

I realise George has been involved in the direction the TV show has taken, but no writer gives away all their secrets.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #321 on: May 19, 2019, 09:14:10 PM »
Can’t watch until my kids get to sleep, so I thought I’d post my final predictions:

1. Dany executes Tyrion.
2. Dany is poisoned by Martha.
3. John Snow fucks off to the North.
4. Sansa rules as Queen of the North.
5. Gendry rules as king in the south.
6. Arya leaves Westeros.
7. The final shot is of Craster’s son, the new Night King.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #322 on: May 19, 2019, 10:52:04 PM »
Can’t watch until my kids get to sleep, so I thought I’d post my final predictions:

1. Dany executes Tyrion.
2. Dany is poisoned by Martha.
3. John Snow fucks off to the North.
4. Sansa rules as Queen of the North.
5. Gendry rules as king in the south.
6. Arya leaves Westeros.
7. The final shot is of Craster’s son, the new Night King.

3 out of 7

wow, still processing, I liked it for sure.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #323 on: May 19, 2019, 11:39:02 PM »
I liked that the ending wasn't the traditional 'Hero wins everything'

Although, I have this nagging sense that the writers were thinking 'Hmmm, How can we make FIVE spinoffs work......'

#non-belief denialist

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #324 on: May 19, 2019, 11:46:08 PM »
Yep.  I’ll count the hits and ignore the misses, though, as is the privilege of every prognosticator.

I enjoyed the finale.  A few things were a little heavy-handed, I thought, but it wrapped things up about as well as could be expected given where we stood at the end of The Bells. In fact, Tyrion even managed through his words to Jon to make her actions last episode just a little bit more believable in retrospect (which of course is not how such things should be accomplished).

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #325 on: May 20, 2019, 12:27:34 AM »
Watching now.

Just got to Brann.

If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #326 on: May 20, 2019, 12:35:43 AM »
Overall, it was a very satisfying ending.  I mean, there was no way it was going to be a battle with Dany because she'd crush anyone and there was no way it was going to be too long before she died because the episode was barely over an hour.  Sure, they could have benefited from a longer episode or more episodes, but this was the first episode I didn't feel was overly truncated.

Beyond all that, I thought where we ended up felt right.  There were some things to nit pick, but nothing that was so wrong it took me out of the episode, except maybe Bran revealing that he knew this was going to happen the whole time, though that kinda does make his aloofness leading up to this make more sense.

As for spin-offs, the only one I am really expecting is "West of Westeros."  That's the only one that seemed super obvious.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #327 on: May 20, 2019, 01:16:15 AM »
The writing was hit or miss but everything else was rad.  The world domination speech felt like a different show entirely but one would I would 100% watch.

If there's spin-offs, I hope they go full sci-fi with Bran's narrative.  He's basically a combination alien-benevolent monarch.  As someone who's watched a great many episodes of The Outer Limits, there's so many directions they could go with this.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:19:23 AM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline 1Pirate

• Well Established
« Reply #328 on: May 20, 2019, 02:28:09 AM »
As a finale for season 9, I thought it was excellent.

As is, I enjoyed it, but again, needed way more set-up.

I think the spin-offs are going to be prequels, maybe the Dunk and Egg stories, or maybe something around the early Targaryen reign.
The Critics agree:     "1pirate is too good" --Black Magic
                                 "1pirate is too damn good" --AlexButterfield
                                 "F*ckin 1P - we really need to kill him" --StoneQuarry

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #329 on: May 20, 2019, 03:51:44 AM »
This episode was much better than I expected it to me. I mean that it wasn't a complete shitshow.

That being said, it was mostly unearned, occasionally bafflingly stupid (Why exactly is Tyrion, the prisioner, establishing the new form of government, King Bran the robot, Bronn the Master of Coins, Drogon burining the Iron Throne, no doubt motivated by his innate sense of symbolism, etc) and generally unfulfilling.

At least it is over.

The Small Council meeting really sounded like the Model UN from community
https://youtu.be/oPzDI1DBOK0?t=69

personate-rain
personate-rain