Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 9979 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]
« Reply #330 on: May 20, 2019, 05:04:02 AM »
A lot of unearned indulgences and winks to the audience.

Generally pretty good though.

Watching it, I found it helpful to think of Dany as not suddenly having gone 'mad' but that she had been a manipulative psycho with this in mind all along. It makes what happened far less of a jump and adds some weight to the twist.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #331 on: May 20, 2019, 06:14:56 AM »
I'll give the writers a pass (just) for the finish. Everything was still too rushed and deserved more story, but they didn't completely fumble the ball.

I still want to read the real ending. Hopefully before I die of old age  ;D

My prediction for next week.

Jon kills Dany to save Westeros from her madness.
Arya kills Grey Worm to save Jon
Jon refuses the throne and goes to live beyond the wall with Ghost.
Gendry becomes King of Westeros.
Sansa becomes Queen of the North.
Tyrion gives Bronn Casterly Rock, instead of Highgarden.
Brienne finally warms to Tormund's advances.

Bran continues being weird.
Sam returns to Oldtown and starts writing "A Song of Ice and Fire"

I'll give myself 4½ out of 9. ½ a point for Sam helping to name the book  ;)

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: May 20, 2019, 07:40:44 AM »
OMG!!That book bit!
I dont know that I have ever groaned harder.
They winked so hard at the audience in the back half of this that I do feel I may have a claim for harrassment.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #333 on: May 20, 2019, 07:49:39 AM »
I would bet money that the book was in Martin's plans, not from D&D.  It's essentially There and Back Again by Bilbo Baggins.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #334 on: May 20, 2019, 09:31:37 AM »
How about, "And you, council memeber; we need to solve X insurmountable problem with no solution. Can you solve it?"

"Yes. I can solve it."

"Good."

Also,why does King's Landing and the Red Keep look totally untouched for every scene after Dany dies? For that matter, why does Winter end right then too?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #335 on: May 20, 2019, 09:59:05 AM »
For that matter, why does Winter end right then too?

That wasn’t snow, it was ash from the burning of the city. And every scene after her death took place weeks or months later, after the fires we’re out.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #336 on: May 20, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »
I'm not sure all that's the case, but differences of opinion aside, this is a world where winters last years

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #338 on: May 20, 2019, 10:54:29 AM »
I'm not sure all that's the case, but differences of opinion aside, this is a world where winters last years

Are those natural winters? Or supernatural?

And if they're supernatural, with the NK dead, is the wall going to melt?  Is the North going to double in size?
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #339 on: May 20, 2019, 11:01:19 AM »

You're not sure what's the case? That it was ash that was falling? I think that was made abundantly clear both in this episode and the last.

Or are you unsure that it was several weeks at least between the death of Dany and the following scene?  Look at Tyrion's beard; they clearly establish through it that he's been in that cell for weeks if not months. The same for Jon's beard, later.  Not to mention that Sansa has had time to travel from Winterfell to Kings Landing, a journey of several weeks, and the lords of Westeros have had time to assemble massive armies outside of the city.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #340 on: May 20, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »
I agree that its ash.
I think winter ended when the night king died.

No supernatural explanation for the Unsullieds deep voices as yet though.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #341 on: May 20, 2019, 12:55:05 PM »
Once again I really enjoyed how it ended.

I have a few minor questions but its stuff I can live with.

for instance:

What is the point of a Night Watch now?  No Night King and the wildlings are friends now.

I'm assuming Daario Naharis is now king of Meereen? I would have to guess he would not stand for the killing of his queen and will probably do something about it. I would have liked to see his character one more time at the end with the others. Dorn was represented.

As to the Ash/Snow I think it was both, it was ash early then snow later in the episode to show how time has passed.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online CarbShark

« Reply #342 on: May 20, 2019, 12:56:53 PM »

You're not sure what's the case? That it was ash that was falling? I think that was made abundantly clear both in this episode and the last.

Or are you unsure that it was several weeks at least between the death of Dany and the following scene?  Look at Tyrion's beard; they clearly establish through it that he's been in that cell for weeks if not months. The same for Jon's beard, later.  Not to mention that Sansa has had time to travel from Winterfell to Kings Landing, a journey of several weeks, and the lords of Westeros have had time to assemble massive armies outside of the city.

So I saw an interview with one of the writing team where they explained that they had a very specific and detailed calendar throughout the series, where they accounted for travel times and every event that unfolded during the series. And then when anything happened off screen that accounted for a long period of time they applied that to everything on screen and made sure they had on screen clues (the ages of children; the growth of plants; in this case it would be beards). Every time people complained that things happened instantly, they were simply leaping forward by x days/weeks/months.

They wanted to avoid having to display titles saying "Six Weeks Later" on screen.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #343 on: May 20, 2019, 12:57:15 PM »
Ultimately, how I feel about Danaerys’ fall is very similar to how I feel about the fall of Anakin in Revenge of the Sith: in neither case do I think the filmmakers sold the fall.  It wasn’t adequately motivated, and so it just can’t work for me.  In both cases the films are well made, there’s nothing wrong with the premise, and there’s exciting action that makes it a fun ride. But ultimately they can never be great because the one thing above all others that they had to do was convince me that this character would fall in this way, and they failed to do that.

I know that some people buy it.  Perhaps they’re more willing to fill in the blanks for the filmmakers than I am.  Or perhaps they’re less invested in character development.  Whatever the difference, it’s a fundamental one which I cannot get past.  I can intellectually understand what the filmmakers were going for, but if I don’t feel it when I watch it on the screen, then the film has failed in a fundamental way to do what it set out to do.

I envy those who buy it, to be honest.  But I’m not one of them, and I cannot be.

I immediately thought of Revenge of the Sith as well after episode 5 of GOT. I very much like the idea if Danaerys becoming a mad queen but it was way too rushed and I wasn't buying how they tried to sell it. If I had to describe GOT last too seasons in a single word it would be "rushed".

I actually just finished the series finale. Didn't love it. I kind of like John ending the story with the wildlings north of the wall, but I'm not a fan of Bran being king. I mean, I guess he has knowledge on his side but think of all the other things you want in a ruler. Charisma? None. Projecting strength? He can't even walk and he's extremely young. Known by the people? Nope. The idea of him being king just didnt feel convincing to me.

I didn't mind the scene where Danaerys dies. I was expecting John to do it eventually... but not in that scene. What bugged me the most was his lack of focusing on her burning civilians when confronting her. It's like to him killing the soldiers and imprisoning Tyrion were the things she had to explain.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: May 20, 2019, 03:54:02 PM »
Again, I liked it well enough. It was fine.

To touch on some random points from above:

- I doubt Dario will give a shit. If anything, her being gone gives him more power.

-Bran was a shit choice but whatever. What I cant understand is having Bronn on the small council. Wtf?! He is just there for laughs.

-The nights watch makes sense in order to patrol and watch for threats on the border. And as a dumping ground for disgraced nobles.

-If they are saying that some scenes are skipping months then they are overlooking Cerceis weird pregnancy.  If they meant it to be something that was communicated to the audience, they did a terrible, terrible job of it. Its not an easter egg for those interested enough to revisit every scene and notice different weather or whatever, its a vital component that left the majority of viewers confused and stopped the story from working as it should have.

personate-rain
personate-rain