Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]  (Read 9947 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion [SPOILERS FOR LATEST EPISODES]
« Reply #375 on: May 23, 2019, 07:41:25 AM »
I guess I just felt it wasn't that poorly done.

Also maybe a factor in this is that I often watch movies more for their atmosphere and the emotions they invoke in me than the actual story. And often I just kind of want to turn my brain off when I'm trying to relax. And I've watched so many bad movies that maybe my standards are just not that high. Not that I don't appreciate good writing, intricate plots, and character development or that I don't notice when it's done really poorly, but in this case it just didn't strike me as all that bad. Could've been better, sure. But it didn't bother me.
Mooohn!

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #376 on: May 23, 2019, 07:56:27 AM »
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #377 on: May 23, 2019, 01:51:28 PM »

That's pretty funny, but also pretty cynical.  The only way to wrap up the show satisfactorily for the book readers (I am one) would be to wait for GRRM to conclude the story.  I think they were stuck with a massive mop head of plot threads and they did (they thought) what was best.  I don't think the ending was perfect, but it was pretty good compared to others (Lost, I am looking at you).
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #378 on: May 23, 2019, 01:58:02 PM »
I mean, at least Arya's not pretending to be dead while working as a lumberjack.

I don't hate on this season near as much as everyone else seems to.  However it did feel like they should have spread it out over more time.  HBO, from what I've heard, wanted it spread out more.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #379 on: May 23, 2019, 02:04:34 PM »
I mean, at least Arya's not pretending to be dead while working as a lumberjack.

I don't hate on this season near as much as everyone else seems to.  However it did feel like they should have spread it out over more time.  HBO, from what I've heard, wanted it spread out more.

Yeah, also, it's got to be tough for free lancers - you have this great gig, which brings you a bunch of lucrative opportunities, but you are unable to properly engage with them because there is an open-ended, herky-jerky production schedule.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #380 on: May 23, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »

Maybe if they merged the reunion episode and the eve of the battle episode into a the first 15 minutes of the first episode of the season, they'd have more time to show her go nuts.

But I actually liked those episodes too. Overall I thought the final season was as good as I expected it to be (not nearly as good as some of the earlier seasons, but still far far better than most of what's on TV).

Dany going nuts on Kings Landing didn't surprise me at all, it seemed just fine and within her character. Once she told Jon she was going to rule by fear rather than love, I started feeling that sense of dread.

Maybe those hints and others through the series were a little too subtle.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #381 on: May 23, 2019, 06:50:29 PM »
I don’t think many people were surprised by Danaerys’ turn; you could see it coming a mile away. But the fact that the plot point was telegraphed does not mean that the character change necessary for it was properly developed.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #382 on: May 27, 2019, 03:41:57 AM »

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #383 on: May 27, 2019, 07:30:09 AM »
I thought this article was very interesting and made me think of storytelling and the stories I enjoy in very different ways:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

When the show started, it (like The Wire) focused on systems and what they do to the people caught up in them. The story was about the cause and effect of the system.
After a while though, it became more of a standard character driven story. Thats fine, most storytelling is that, but I dont think its what captured peoples imagination to begin with.

And yeah, I agree with TheLat- Forshadowing is not the same as developing.

I counted as I drove yesterday, I think for the finale of this season alone, I have watched 3 hours worth of good quality and enjoyable youtube analysis, listened to about 4 hours worth of podcasts and had some really interesting conversations. The same is true for most of the episodes, minus a couple of hours.

Thats a pretty good return on investment entertainment wise!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #384 on: May 27, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »

I disagree with the premise of that video.  There's nothing wrong with the plot as it stands (aside, in my opinion, from Jamie Lannister's end); it just needed more time to develop the characters and their character changes.

And yeah, I agree with TheLat- Forshadowing is not the same as developing.

I'm not sure I agree with the way the phrase 'foreshadowing is not character development' is being thrown around on the Internet. It's true in that foreshadowing is not sufficient for character development, but it is an integral part of the process of developing a character.

I counted as I drove yesterday, I think for the finale of this season alone, I have watched 3 hours worth of good quality and enjoyable youtube analysis, listened to about 4 hours worth of podcasts and had some really interesting conversations. The same is true for most of the episodes, minus a couple of hours.

This is why I object so strongly to people characterizing dissatisfaction with this episode as 'haters gonna hate'; people are genuinely invested in and love this show, and they are making serious efforts to understand and give meaningful critiques of it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #385 on: May 27, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »
I fully agree that foreshadowing is necessary, just that to make a turn believable, I think it has to either be prepped with the audience through incremental turns in that direction or a sense off tension with piling pressures and a snap (Danys snap came after she won) or a sharp turn where extra info is then revealed to the audience (as with Fight Club) that retroactively makes things understandable and more enjoyable.

The more I think about Jaime though, the more it sadly fits. He went to fight the dead because that was the honourable knightly thing to do. Nothing Cercei had done turned him against her. Once it was all done, it makes sense that he would go back.
Jaimes honour was redeemed in the show, in terms of being known as the kingslayer and untrustworthy, but he saved some Starks and was a bit heroic but essentially didnt ever develop the same way he has in the books by moving away from Cercei.
I think thats an overall failure of the show but not necessarily out of nowhere.
Except for that fanservice thing between him and Brienne.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #386 on: May 27, 2019, 12:43:30 PM »
Most of Dany’s closest allies, friends and trusted advisors had either betrayed her or were dead. She had no one she could trust.

Her true love hadn’t  just ended their relationship and depleted her armies, but became the biggest threat to her claim to the throne.

Given her already known habit of burning people to death, certainly you didn’t expect business as usual.

As I said before I had a feeling of dread goin into that episode and as it unfolded the it was is if the foreboding came true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #387 on: May 27, 2019, 01:14:29 PM »
Ooooh! Well then it makes total sense that she would kill more people than her father did AFTER she had won.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #388 on: May 27, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »
You expect the mad queen to make sense?

Wouldn’t the mad king have killed more people if he hadn’t been stopped?

And she hadn’t yet won, but she was winning.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #389 on: May 27, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »
Most of Dany’s closest allies, friends and trusted advisors had either betrayed her or were dead. She had no one she could trust.

Her true love hadn’t  just ended their relationship and depleted her armies, but became the biggest threat to her claim to the throne.

Given her already known habit of burning people to death, certainly you didn’t expect business as usual.

As I said before I had a feeling of dread going into that episode and as it unfolded it was is if the foreboding came true.

personate-rain