Author Topic: Notre Dame cathedral fire  (Read 1029 times)

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Notre Dame cathedral fire
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »
Live video:

Notre Dame fire: major incident at historic Paris landmark

City’s fire services say big operation under way as it tackles blaze in French capital

▲ Flames and smoke are seen billowing from the roof of Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. 
Photograph: François Guillot/AFP/Getty Images

Firefighters have rushed to try to contain a fire that has broken out at Paris’s Notre Dame Cathedral, which police said began accidentally and was linked to building work at the site.

Smoke could be seen billowing from the top of the medieval cathedral, considered one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in France and one of Paris’s most-visited monuments.

Flames leapt into the air beside the two bell towers, said a Reuters correspondent who witnessed the fire.

▲ Flames rising from the landmark French cathedral. Photograph: Pierre Galey/AFP/Getty Images

The fire department said a major operation was underway. A city hall spokesman said the area was being cleared.

https://twitter.com/ccasacub/status/1117836234045321216
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/15/notre-dame-fire-paris-france-cathedral

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Notre Dame cathedral fire
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:27:14 PM »
Needs an Eye of Sauron.

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 02:41:59 PM »
Such a tragedy. I had to stop watching the live news feed.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:48:51 PM »
I got to spend an afternoon on the roof there about 20 years ago. It was spectacular.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 02:50:53 PM »
Oh shit, this is absolutely terrible. Though, Cathedrals are massive and very hard to totally destroy. On the other hand, there is the stained glass...

I have the feeling that the company responsible for the renovation won't put this on their portfolio.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:57:22 PM by Rai »

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »
Some fans of the black metal are cheering today.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 04:08:33 PM »
Really hate seeing such a historic site damaged so.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 05:51:39 PM »
 :'(
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 06:26:52 PM »
I have read that they managed to save some of it at least and the artifacts have been saved.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 08:00:46 PM »
The stonework is there, but much of that was already worn by time and pollution, and now it’s been exposed to high temperatures that may cause further crumbling.  The interior looks like it is gutted, the roof is destroyed, and the spire is destroyed.  To reconstruct it preserving as much of the original stonework as possible will cost billions of Euros and probably take decades.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 01:05:45 AM »
Summary
  • A devastating fire that began on Monday afternoon has destroyed the roof of the 850-year-old UNESCO world heritage landmark, whose spectacular Gothic spire collapsed before the eyes of horrified onlookers.
  • The main structure of Notre Dame, as well as its two towers, has been saved, according to the Paris fire brigade chief.
  • The blaze has been brought under control, firefighters confirmed in the early hours of Tuesday morning. “The fire is completely under control. It is partially extinguished, there are residual fires to put out,” said a spokesman.
  • French president Emmanuel Macron said the worst has been avoided, but warned the fire would likely continue to burn for several days, cautioning: “the battle is not yet totally won”. He praised the courage and professionalism of firefighters.
  • Macron asked the country to commit to rebuilding Notre Dame together, announcing an international fundraising campaign to raise money for the repairs. A site taking online donations has been launched.
  • French billionaire François-Henri Pinault, the chairman and CEO of international luxury group Kering, pledged 100 million euros towards rebuilding Notre Dame, according to a statement.
  • One firefighter was injured in the efforts to save the building.
  • Expressions of support and commiseration have poured in from leaders around the world.

Source
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 01:20:01 AM »
As I hoped, it is not that bad. Though I still haven't neard anything about the Southern rose window (tne Northern one is reportedly intact). The loss of the partially medieval roof and the 19th century spire is a tragedy, but it has been rather unusual for Notre Dame to survive for so long without a fire.

The good thing is that Medieval architects were always kinda winging it and seriously overbuilt every cathedral, making the walls extremely durable. Notre Dame is also meticulously documented and laser-scanned therefore we know whaf to rebuild and how.

I hope the Catholic Church will dedicate its fabulous wealth to the rebuilding effort, but I won't hold my breath.

Edit: what I found curious was the extremely sensationalised reporting I've seen everywhere. About how the Notre Dame is "destroyed", "burned down" is a "shell" or "gutted", etc. It is none of those things. The wooden roof and the spire are gone, the ceiling caved in at one or two points and there is some damage to one of the towers, but the vast majority of the cathedral, including most of the interior seems to be perfectly intact.

Update: Interior photos:
https://mobile.twitter.com/areinaud/status/1118042483492118528
https://mobile.twitter.com/areinaud/status/1118067215125897221

More confirmation that one of the rose windows is perfectly intact. There is debris on the ground and holes in the roof, but other than the transept, the arches seem to be intact. The function of the transept is to hold up the spire, which is gone, so the structural integrity of the cathedral should be fine. However, the bad news are that the organ is reportedly gone (if true, it wasn't all that old or irreplaceable).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:16:34 AM by Rai »

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 07:39:09 AM »
When you see the video of the fire it is amazing what survived the fire. All in all it doesn't look as bad as I feared.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 07:57:06 AM »
When you see the video of the fire it is amazing what survived the fire. All in all it doesn't look as bad as I feared.

The NYT has some great images that show how the damage remained so limited (as far as we are aware at this stage). The highlighted areas are the ones that were made out of wood and susceptible to fire. The rest is mostly stone

personate-rain