Author Topic: Notre Dame cathedral fire  (Read 1386 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Notre Dame cathedral fire
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 08:04:48 AM »
It is insane that so much survived.  Glad they got out the cultural and artistic artifacts.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 12:01:01 PM »
Tremendously sad.

I recall taking Medieval Art History and studying the evolution of the gothic cathedral --we always referred to them --particularly the french ones-by their city's name (St. Denis, Chartres, Reims, etc) as they were all "Notre Dame".

Paris was something of THE pinnacle of the style, with a stained glass Rose of mind-boggling beauty.

Once could imagine themselves as a serf or something entering such a place 1,100 years ago--it would be the house of God and the architecture and the art and the beautiful colored light would underline that point to you like nothing else. If it is awe-inspiring now, imagine what it would have looked like to people then-especially once the choral music began.

Aside from the stained glass, among the most important items in the Cathedral are the bells (which are immensely expensive) and the pipe organ.

Online CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 01:56:14 PM »

I noticed that the Fireman-in-Chief offered his expertise in such matters via Twitter:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump   So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 04:16:55 PM »
Tremendously sad.

I recall taking Medieval Art History and studying the evolution of the gothic cathedral --we always referred to them --particularly the french ones-by their city's name (St. Denis, Chartres, Reims, etc) as they were all "Notre Dame".

Paris was something of THE pinnacle of the style, with a stained glass Rose of mind-boggling beauty.

Once could imagine themselves as a serf or something entering such a place 1,100 years ago--it would be the house of God and the architecture and the art and the beautiful colored light would underline that point to you like nothing else. If it is awe-inspiring now, imagine what it would have looked like to people then-especially once the choral music began.

Aside from the stained glass, among the most important items in the Cathedral are the bells (which are immensely expensive) and the pipe organ.

From the latest reports, the organ, the windows and the bells are all safe. The organ was somewhat damaged by the water, but it can be repaired.

The main damage was to the spire, the medieval wooden attic and segments of the vaulted ceiling and probably parts of the floor that was under the parts that caved in.

There's already 700 million euros being pledged to restore it.

A part of me wishes a similar outpouring of support to destroyed sites of great cultural significance like the Great Mosque of Aleppo or for ones facing destruction like Bears Ears or the sacred Djap Wurrung trees in Australia.

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 07:26:56 PM »
I think we are witnessing the birth of some new conspiracy theories surrounding this.  Ranging from the Muslims did it, to the US gov did it, to macron had it done to distract from the disquiet in France. 

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 08:50:54 PM »
Glenn Beck is already spouting the “Muslims did it” screed, and using a lack of evidence as proof.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 09:15:00 PM »
Glenn Beck is already spouting the “Muslims did it” screed, and using a lack of evidence as proof.

Can we Alex Jones him? Basically shut him out of most of his venues?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 03:53:22 AM »
3 individuals offered 500 million euros in 24 hours.

Imagine if meagre issues like global warming, hunger, homelessness, etc. would receive a fraction of the attention of the parasitic hoarder class gave to fixing the roof of one pretty church.

At least we see what they could do if they actually started contributing to society.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 04:09:31 AM »
Notre Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo was the top downloaded e-book on Project Gutenberg yesterday, passing Pride and Prejudice, which has been in that spot just about forever.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 05:14:12 AM »
3 individuals offered 500 million euros in 24 hours.

Imagine if meagre issues like global warming, hunger, homelessness, etc. would receive a fraction of the attention of the parasitic hoarder class gave to fixing the roof of one pretty church.

At least we see what they could do if they actually started contributing to society.

Or if we stopped giving them tax breaks and allowing for loopholes for the sake of them having more money to put back into society.

If they're going to sit on the money (or throw it away on insanely wasteful luxuries which fail to be a way to reduce wealth inequality), then there should be nothing in the way of levying taxes on the very rich.

I would say that this is a terrible event, as far as historical artifacts go. And as a public property that has already been determined to have value for the public at large, I wouldn't mind if public money continues to be spent on it it. Although I wonder why there's no talk about the company that were doing the renovation possibly having to pay out of their insurance, even if France doesn't have insurance on it.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
i'll be honest I expected more sarcasm in this thread, I am pleasantly surprised.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 11:17:23 AM »
i'll be honest I expected more sarcasm in this thread, I am pleasantly surprised.

Why?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 12:51:25 PM »

Notre Dame de Paris is considered a prime example of the Middle Gothic "Rayonnant" period, whereas Chartres Cathedral is the prime example of the later High Gothic "Flamboyant" period.

It's amazing that ND's rose window survived the fire.

Medieval Europeans would make pilgrimages to these churches from all over Europe, to show reverence for the artifacts and relics on display. ND allegedly contained the actual crown of thorns used in Jesus' crucifixion. That artifact was rescued from the fire.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:55:00 PM by John Albert »

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 01:38:57 PM »

Medieval Europeans would make pilgrimages to these churches from all over Europe, to show reverence for the artifacts and relics on display. ND allegedly contained the actual crown of thorns used in Jesus' crucifixion. That artifact was rescued from the fire.

I wonder if they have radiocarbon dated the crown?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 02:17:40 PM »

I wonder if they have radiocarbon dated the crown?

Why use scientific dating methods, which have error bars, when you have faith-based dating?  It is 100% accurate, every single time.

personate-rain
personate-rain