Author Topic: Notre Dame cathedral fire  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Notre Dame cathedral fire
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »
They look like robot cops from a low budge 70s sci fi movie. 

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2019, 10:59:32 AM »
As a side note, my reaction to this is, "Well that's too bad", I don't quite get why so many people are so emotionally invested in it.

I find the destruction of historical and archaeological treasures like this extremely emotional. These sites and artifacts are part of our cultural heritage, and they create a connection to the past which brings it to life. They are irreplaceable, and often can never be fully restored. I feel the same way when I read that the ancient city of Dura Europos in Syria was looted and largely destroyed by ISIS or when I saw the destruction of the Buddhas of Bamiyan in Afghanistan: it makes me physically ill.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2019, 12:59:08 PM »
Hearing that Notre Dame is on fire causes mixed emotions in this old Boilermaker.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2019, 11:55:14 PM »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:13:09 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain
personate-rain