Author Topic: Transgender Woman Attacked by Mob In Dallas Texas  (Read 588 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Transgender Woman Attacked by Mob In Dallas Texas
« on: April 16, 2019, 06:18:08 AM »
USA Today does not paywall their articles
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/04/15/transgender-woman-dallas-beaten-viral-video-police-make-arrest/3470797002/

Police arrested a suspect in connection with the brutal beating of a transgender woman caught on camera in Dallas.

Friday, the woman was involved in a minor traffic accident at an apartment complex in Dallas, according to police. "Known suspects" using homophobic slurs then beat her in an incident described by Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings as "mob violence." The Dallas Police Department said it was investigating the case as a hate crime.

Sunday, police arrested Edward Thomas, 29, for his role in the assault.

Video posted on social media shows a man dressed in white pushing a woman to the ground, straddling and punching her. Other people are then seen joining in on the beating, kicking the woman. She gets up and tries to walk away as the man follows her, and continues throwing punches. A group of women then pick her up and carry her away from the violence.

The woman, identified by WFAA News as Muhlaysia Booker, suffered a facial fracture and her right arm is in a sling, but she is recovering with close friends. Booker thanked her supporters in a Facebook post Saturday.

Nationwide, at least 26 transgender people were fatally shot or killed violently in 2018, the majority of whom were black transgender women, according to data from advocacy group the Human Rights Campaign.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
Re: Transgender Woman Attacked by Mob In Dallas Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »
Just gonna go off topic a little bit.

Homophobia and transphobia is a huge problem in the black community. Religion doesn't help.

It is very unfortunate that one historically marginalized community cannot seem to be able to empathize with another.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:12:07 AM »
It is very unfortunate that one historically marginalized community cannot seem to be able to empathize with another.

I can't think of a prominent example where a historically marginalized community is particularly empathetic (as in above average). The capacity to treat others like dirt seems to be a universal human trait.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »

I can't think of a prominent example where a historically marginalized community is particularly empathetic (as in above average). The capacity to treat others like dirt seems to be a universal human trait.

Divide and conquer has always been a very effective tool in the oppressors' arsenal.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 12:58:54 PM »

Divide and conquer has always been a very effective tool in the oppressors' arsenal.
See Virginia Slave Codes as a reaction to Bacon's Rebellion.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
I do want to argue that blacks do not speak with one voice.
There are plenty of blacks who are more LGBT friendly.
Coretta Scott King and Mildred Loving are two examples of this. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 05:02:44 PM »
I think it mite be more fair to say that the poorer communities tend to be unable to empathize with the LGBT community, a large portion of whom are black.

Trap/Hip Hop culture is not accepting of LGBT and also completely misogynistic. 

That said, Atlanta has a large population of black LGBT if not the largest in the country and they also listen to trap.

I think its getting better but with much needed room to grow.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline haudace

• Reality under scrutiny
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 06:19:05 PM »

One could argue that women's suffrage was the catalyst to all kinds of social reforms guaranteeing rights and freedoms to a broad range of demographics.

It is too strange that those oppressed are suddenly turning into the oppressors, repeating mistakes of the past. Calls for equal rights falling on deaf ears, voting against same-sex laws or in many instances criminalizing homosexuality.

I do want to argue that blacks do not speak with one voice.
There are plenty of blacks who are more LGBT friendly.
Coretta Scott King and Mildred Loving are two examples of this. 

This is certainly true in the western world. Not so much in other parts of the world.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 09:57:21 PM »
History has shown that oppressed people usually tend to fight among themselves rather than unite against the overwhelming power of their oppressors.

Offline haudace

• Reality under scrutiny
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 06:48:41 AM »
Typically a consequence of divide and conquer tactics.

However, women's suffrage led to the advent of numerous calls for equality similarly to the impact of the civil rights movement had on social and economic reforms. So this is not something new. My point is the inability for some to recognize LGBT plight as just another cause for equality in the 21st century is rather depressing.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 06:59:58 AM »
Typically a consequence of divide and conquer tactics.

However, women's suffrage led to the advent of numerous calls for equality similarly to the impact of the civil rights movement had on social and economic reforms. So this is not something new. My point is the inability for some to recognize LGBT plight as just another cause for equality in the 21st century is rather depressing.

And let's not forget how, for example in the USA, the suffragist movement started out with a strong white supremacist position and completelyabandoned Southern black women after the 19th amendment was passed.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 09:21:07 AM »
this is is not a mutually exclusive situation, it's possible to to say there is a both a large problem with homophobia in the black community and that there are many allies in the same community too.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 09:26:12 AM »

Very true. The oppressed very quickly become the oppressors. Haiti, I believe, had one of the very few successful slave rebellions in history. The new ruling class, who were formerly slaves, quickly came to mimic their former French overlords.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 03:20:03 PM »
this is is not a mutually exclusive situation, it's possible to to say there is a both a large problem with homophobia in the black community and that there are many allies in the same community too.

This is a good point. The advocates of the black feminist movement have been doing a great job of eradicating those old bigotries.