Author Topic: Sweden to expel Afghan atheist to Afghanistan  (Read 207 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Sweden to expel Afghan atheist to Afghanistan
« on: April 17, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »
COURT BELIEVES MY ATHEISM IS GENUINE – SWEDEN WILL STILL EXPEL ME TO AFGHANISTAN

On April 2, 2019, the Migration Court in Stockholm, Sweden, rejected my application for asylum. The court believes that my atheism is genuine and that I have been an atheist since 2016, but claims that I can live in Afghanistan anyway. One of the lay judges wanted to grant me protection and a refugee status declaration. Unfortunately, that is not enough.

As a consequence, Sweden will expel me to a country where leaving Islam – as I have done – is punishable by the death penalty

If I lived in Afghanistan, I am confident that friends, neighbors and acquaintances sooner or later would realize that I am an atheist. They would see that I do not practice the religion, and since I have been in the West they would be extra suspicious of me. As soon as someone finds out, there is a great risk that I will be threatened, punished – or in the worst case killed.

Sweden cannot force me to hide my atheism. Nonetheless, during the oral hearing in court the representative from the Swedish Migration Board said I could ”keep a low profile” in Afghanistan. The court seemed to listen more to that argument, than everything I told them about myself.

It is a very sad decision. I hope he is able to get it overturned, or if not, to find refuge somewhere else. Afghanistan is one of the worst countries in the world to be an atheist in.

Also, the "keep a low profile" suggestion, is that really an argument compliant with human rights? For example, IS wanted to exterminate Shia Muslims. Where they ever told to pretend to be Sunni Muslims, and on that ground refused refuge? The same goes for other persecuted religious groups. It seems sketchy to me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:44:21 PM by Quetzalcoatl »
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Sweden to expel Afghan atheist to Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:16:20 AM »
This also illegal, but European nations stopped caring about international refugee law years ago.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Sweden to expel Afghan atheist to Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:01:59 AM »
I'm interested to see on which grounds applications from a place like Afghanistan may be refused or granted in general and what they thought was different here?