Author Topic: Phantom units?  (Read 475 times)

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Phantom units?
« on: April 17, 2019, 04:26:19 PM »
So my previous company was based in the U.S., and they have a phantom units plan. I was awarded some when I worked there but as far as I recall there wasn't much explanation of what it meant. Now the company is getting sold, and so apparently these units are going to be paid out a little over two months from now. I don't know much about this stuff, and tbh I'm not expecting to get much out of it, but I'm still kind of curious what it means and how it generally works?
Mooohn!

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Phantom units?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:24:03 PM »
I only know what wikipedia says.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 06:37:42 PM »
Yeah, I found that... I guess I'm not comfortable enough with the lingo to say I really understand. For example I find it very strange that you can be awarded something that you have no way of determining the value of, but the units are always priced at $0 (which they say is just a placeholder). I can't find any information about what the company's shares are worth. Would it be possible to determine what these units are worth right now?
Mooohn!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:16:50 PM »
I believe phantoms are measured in ectons.

Here to help.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
Sorry I am only familiar with poltergeist units.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 10:51:02 PM »
Bloody America. You do realise that America is the only country in the world that still uses poltergeist units? Join the 20th Century!
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 11:40:08 PM »
Look, it's a much more sensible system: twelve spooks to a poltergeist, three poltergeists to a grave, and 5280 poltergeists to a haunt. Simple!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 07:58:01 PM »
Well, poltergeists aside, just got an update on the estimated value of these wispy units, and it's better than I thought (a few thousand $$). Had a few financial setbacks recently but now it sounds like I'm finally catching a break. Might be able to afford that new computer upgrade after all. }|:oD

personate-rain