Author Topic: Men with beards are gross, science fact now :P  (Read 1005 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Men with beards are gross, science fact now :P
« on: April 19, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
This study makes me happy, I've long thought that beards are gross and slightly annoyed when they became so trendy and every hipper than though started growing them.  If you think pubs on your face are an improvement, I'm not sure what I can tell you but science now confirms you are gross. Shave please, for everyone sake.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/well/more-bacteria-in-mens-beards-than-on-dogs-study-says/

Men's beards harbor more germs than the fur on dogs, a new study has found.

Man’s best friend might have a thing or two to teach us about cleanliness: The beards covering men’s faces hide “significantly higher” amounts of bacteria than found on dogs, a recent study suggests.

The research, published in February in the peer-reviewed journal European Radiology, compared bacteria samples from 18 hairy men with those from 30 dogs, including border collies, dachshunds and German shepherds.

The conclusion? “On the basis of these findings, dogs can be considered as ‘clean’ compared with bearded men,” the Switzerland-based researchers noted.

Twenty-three of the 30 dogs showed high microbial counts; all 18 of the bearded men did. Disease-causing bacteria showed up more frequently on the beards, too, including bugs causing urinary tract infections, though that difference was not deemed significant.

Researchers took bacterial samples from the dogs’ necks, between the shoulder blades, which veterinarians suggest is “particularly unhygienic” and where most canine skin infections occur, the study says. The dogs were 3 months to 13 years in age.

The men, ages 18 to 76, gave samples from beard hair below the mouth. Researchers noted the length of each beard “by gently pulling on the beard hair and measuring the length in centimeters with a ruler.”

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Men with beards are gross, science fact now :P
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 01:07:56 PM »
KMA
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 01:14:51 PM »
Beards hide weak jawlines. 

If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 01:22:32 PM »
Beards hide weak jawlines. 

along with spreading disease and make one look like every other hipster.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/10/702063209/man-inadvertently-proves-that-hipsters-look-alike-by-mistaking-photo-as-himself

It's a running joke that male hipsters all look alike with their flannel shirts, thick beards and other seemingly off-brand attributes. But a comical incident in the MIT Technology Review might just prove that they all really do look alike.

The publication recently published an article on a study out of Brandeis University about the "hipster effect," which studied how nonconformists usually act unconventionally in the same way — to end up being exactly the same.

"What the study found essentially was that when a group of people decide to be different, to do something nonconforming, there comes a point when they all end up adopting the same behavior or the same style," Gideon Lichfield, editor-in-chief of MIT Technology Review, told NPR's Lulu Garcia-Navarro for Weekend Edition.

While the study proves this theory, so does accidentally thinking the edited photo at the top of the story — which featured a man in a plaid shirt with a beanie on — is of yourself.
Right after the article was published, MIT Technology Review promptly received an email from someone who claimed he was the man in the photo and hadn't given his consent. He accused the publication of slandering him and threatened legal action, writing:

"You used a heavily edited Getty image of me for your recent bit of click-bait about why hipsters all look the same. It's a poorly written and insulting article and somewhat ironically about five years too late to be as desperately relevant as it is attempting to be. By using a tired cultural trope to try to spruce up an otherwise disturbing study. Your lack of basic journalistic ethics and both the manner in which you reported this uncredited nonsense and the slanderous unnecessary use of my picture without permission demands a response and I am of course pursuing legal action."Lichfield and his team quickly checked to see if the model in the photo signed a model release. They contacted Getty Images, which found that the person who signed the model release was not the person who wrote the angry email.

After the misunderstanding was cleared up, the man responded by saying to Getty Images, "Wow, I stand corrected I guess. I and multiple family members, and a childhood friend pointed it out to me, thought it was a mildly photo-shopped picture of me. I even have a very similar hat and shirt, though in full color I can see it's not the same. Thank you for getting back to me and resolving the issue."

Lichfield tweeted this scenario and wrote that the incident "just proves the story we ran: Hipsters look so much alike that they can't even tell themselves apart from each other."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:47:28 PM by moj »

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 01:26:17 PM »
Dress how you want to dress and grow your hair how you want to grow your hair.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 01:53:24 PM »
I don't presume to tell my wife she should shave her legs or underarms, she doesn't presume to tell me to shave my face.

I grew this facial hair in a different millennia; and the only time I've been without it since was when chemo dropped it all down the shower drain.  I'm not afraid of germs, I have more bacteria cells in/on my body than I do human, so what's a few more?
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 01:57:31 PM »
I've had a beard since 1971. Nobody would confuse me with a hipster.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »
Is this the sort of thing where X has more germs than a toilet seat, where it turns out that neither is that big of a deal (assuming a certain standard of cleanliness)?

Do bearded men get sick more, do they spread diseases more?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:46:41 PM by 2397 »

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 03:47:27 PM »
Is this the sort of thing where X has more germs than a toilet seat, where it turns out that neither is that big of a deal (assuming a certain standard of cleanliness)?

Do bearded men get sick more, do they spread diseases more?

We get sick less because we are stronger and more manly.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 05:52:41 PM »
You crack me right the hell up, moj.  :)
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 01:12:03 AM »
I beard my face because my jaw has seen too much radiation for safe exposure to sunlight. My lips start to burn from normal daylight in early April now.

OTOH if beards are a shitstorm of disease and filth as you say...

They're a peacock display. The worse it is (while I can still reproduce) the stronger it is as a sexual display.

Seriously - if his beard smelled sweet, was soft, and tickled and rubbed at just the right rate... Sounds like an adaptive trait.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 05:20:38 AM »
I beard my face because my jaw has seen too much radiation for safe exposure to sunlight. My lips start to burn from normal daylight in early April now

How do you grow a beard after radio?  I only have to shave half my face. 

Beards, IMHO (and anecdotal experience), are certainly not plusses in respect to attractiveness to females. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 06:34:30 AM »
I shave my head and grow a beard.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »
I beard my face because my jaw has seen too much radiation for safe exposure to sunlight. My lips start to burn from normal daylight in early April now

Beards, IMHO (and anecdotal experience), are certainly not plusses in respect to attractiveness to females.
Lots of women these days in dating profiles specify that they are looking for a guy with a beard and some rule out guys without.
But then there seem to be enough that dont mind a shaved or stubbled face that I do ok.
Fashions and preferences change I guess. Im sure the pendulum will swing back again.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 08:20:25 AM »

Lots of women these days in dating profiles specify that they are looking for a guy with a beard and some rule out guys without.
But then there seem to be enough that dont mind a shaved or stubbled face that I do ok.
Fashions and preferences change I guess. Im sure the pendulum will swing back again.

Black women seem to be more attracted to beards than white women. Richer white women seem to be less attracted than poor. There are exceptions to everything of course. 

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress