Author Topic: Men with beards are gross, science fact now :P  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Men with beards are gross, science fact now :P
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 08:24:29 AM »
I beard my face because my jaw has seen too much radiation for safe exposure to sunlight. My lips start to burn from normal daylight in early April now

How do you grow a beard after radio?  I only have to shave half my face. 

Beards, IMHO (and anecdotal experience), are certainly not plusses in respect to attractiveness to females.
Lots of women these days in dating profiles specify that they are looking for a guy with a beard and some rule out guys without.
But then there seem to be enough that dont mind a shaved or stubbled face that I do ok.
Fashions and preferences change I guess. Im sure the pendulum will swing back again.

Black women seem to be more attracted to beards than white women. Richer white women seem to be less attracted than poor. There are exceptions to everything of course.
Thats interesting, my experience is actually the opposite!
Is there any data either way?

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 09:17:00 AM »
This thread makes me imagine a bizzaro gender-flipped world where Incels are angry women posting about how men with beards are lying to us and manipulating us with facial hair to "fake" being attractive. Except for the "nice girl" types, who'd insert themselves into men's Twitter threads to tell them they look beautiful without their beards and should shave them, regardless of whether the men like their beard or not.  :)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 09:35:12 AM »
I beard my face because my jaw has seen too much radiation for safe exposure to sunlight. My lips start to burn from normal daylight in early April now

Beards, IMHO (and anecdotal experience), are certainly not plusses in respect to attractiveness to females.

I had laryngeal cancer, so the main dose was from the bottom of my jawline to my collarbones. I have maybe 4 or 5 grey hairs that live below the line still. They somehow are not there at all for weeks and then appear as 1cm long whiskers all at once. As for my beard, I keep it between ½" and ⅜" with clippers every week or so.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 09:38:33 AM »
This thread makes me imagine a bizzaro gender-flipped world where Incels are angry women posting about how men with beards are lying to us and manipulating us with facial hair to "fake" being attractive. Except for the "nice girl" types, who'd insert themselves into men's Twitter threads to tell them they look beautiful without their beards and should shave them, regardless of whether the men like their beard or not.  :)

It turns out that trying to genuinely express admiration and delight about your bizarre and twisty imagination is hard to do without sounding insulting. With that in mind, can I live in a corner of your skull? That's a fantastic idea to chew on!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 02:05:16 PM »
It is pretty goddamn funny to think of.  Dead on.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 08:53:23 PM »

Lots of women these days in dating profiles specify that they are looking for a guy with a beard and some rule out guys without.
But then there seem to be enough that dont mind a shaved or stubbled face that I do ok.
Fashions and preferences change I guess. Im sure the pendulum will swing back again.

Black women seem to be more attracted to beards than white women. Richer white women seem to be less attracted than poor. There are exceptions to everything of course.
Thats interesting, my experience is actually the opposite!
Is there any data either way?

It mite be an Atlanta thing or just a USA thing. If I go into the mall I am invisible and I get eye rolls from rich white women, If I go to Kroger (grocery store) I seem to get extra attention and smiles from African American women, The opposite is true if I shave.  No data , just my observation.  Black women seem to be into beards right now especially long ones like mine. I cant keep their hands off of it at my second gig.

(click to show/hide)
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
along with spreading disease and make one look like every other hipster.

Made me think of this song:

We're Searching for the lost
To be different, like everyone else
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2019, 10:25:29 PM »
I've noticed that some women really like men with beards (it was quite popular about 5 years ago and might be receding a little) and some don't, but I've never noticed the preference to break along racial lines.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2019, 02:35:09 AM »
When I was "dating" in the 70's and 80's, I was never asked to grow facial hair by any girl friends.  They all liked clean faces.  My beautiful wife is the same.

I just comply.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »
Times and preferences change.

The OP article is pseudoscientific bullshit.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2019, 09:14:05 PM »
Can't believe I haven't already posted this.

Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Nosmas

• User Not Found
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 06:25:44 AM »
If dogs are the benchmark for measuring the ickyness of a man's beard then I'm fine with it. Anyone who isn't a heartless monster or highly allergic should be thrilled to bury their faces in those magnificent beasts!

My beard is fairly short but it's probably 56.8% dog fur ;D
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

personate-rain