Author Topic: What are the characteristics of the different Australian cities?  (Read 370 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
In episode #718, in which the rogues announced that later this year, they were going to be on skeptical conferences in Australia and New Zealand, they discussed the characteristics of the Australian cities. According to Cara, Melbourne is more laid back in its atmosphere, while Sydney is more formal.

Is Cara correct? And what about the other cities? Please fill in. You can also add the various cities of New Zealand.
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Over Nine Thousand!
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: What are the characteristics of the different Australian cities?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »

Looks like the best weather is South Island's West Coast region.  No doubt about it.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 05:23:38 PM »
In episode #718, in which the rogues announced that later this year, they were going to be on skeptical conferences in Australia and New Zealand, they discussed the characteristics of the Australian cities. According to Cara, Melbourne is more laid back in its atmosphere, while Sydney is more formal.

I'd disagree about Sydney being more formal. It's more hectic than Melbourne. Canberra is probably the more formal, being a politicians town. But that is my view from the outside. I've never visited the National Capital.
Hobart is more laid back than Melbourne and much easier to get around. It's really just an overly large town.

I've never been to the Western States so I've no first hand experience with Adelaide, Perth or Darwin.

Melbourne is my favourite Australian city. It is (undeniably) the sporting capital of Australia and , arguably, the cultural capital of Australia.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 05:52:17 AM »

Looks like the best weather is South Island's West Coast region.  No doubt about it.

If you like rains and floods.  Nice on a good day but annual rainfall is 2-10 metres.  I'd give Nelson/Marlborough the tick, but it's Marshmallow Land, weather-wise.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 05:57:26 AM »

Melbourne is my favourite Australian city. It is (undeniably) the sporting capital of Australia and , arguably, the cultural capital of Australia.

...and it is the closest airport to Mt Arapiles.  Last visit to Melbourne was to the Gawler Cancer Camp.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Over Nine Thousand!
  • Cache rules everything around me.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
Or this at Franz Joseph on the West Coast last month...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2259291487665246

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 12:12:41 AM »
Canberra is probably the more formal, being a politicians town. But that is my view from the outside. I've never visited the National Capital.

Ahem. Allow me.

I don't know about being "more formal". It is a fully planned, structured city - the layout of the roads while seeming confusing to visitors is actually based largely on intersecting circles. There are several major metropolitan centres - Civic, North and South Canberra, Belconnen, Gungahlin, Weston Creek, Woden and Tuggeranong and each is a more-or-less self-contained city. There is much good-natured rivalry between Northside (those regions North of Lake Burley Griffin ie. Belconnen, Gungahlin, North and South and the City) and Southside (South of the Lake ie. Weston Creek, Woden and Tuggeranong). And if you're worried about how those names are pronounced, don't worry - they're pronounced exactly the way they are spelled.

The thing with the politicians is way overblown. Most politicians don't live here, and actually spend very little time here. And when they're here, they're working, so they don't mingle much. There are plenty of staffers, especially when Parliament is sitting, but otherwise the pollies don't have much of an impact. It used to be that about 65% of adults in Canberra worked directly or indirectly for the government, but these days it is more like 45%.

We are very hipster. If you're into coffee culture, whatever that is, then we have got you covered. This year the Australian Barista Championship (yes, there is such a thing) was won by a Canberran.

Part of the Weston Plan was for Canberra to be very green. And it is. Every suburb has a "green belt" running through it. There are trees everywhere - both native and imported. Where I work on City Walk, in the heart of Civic, there are huge liquidamber trees, and it's coming towards winter now so they're going golden before dropping their leaves. But trees are one of Canberra's most defining features. We are a green city.

We have museums and art galleries. We have public art all over the city, including the famous Penis Owl (not its real name) and Nemo In A Blender (also not its real name).

I am biased by having lived here all my life, but I love Canberra. We're not perfect - in particular, we have a bit of a problem with Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMCGs) right now, and there are some seedy low-cost housing areas that I would try to avoid at night, but in general the crime rate is quite low - there having been exactly 3 homicides in 2018, for example.

It has been my experience that the people who most bash Canberra are the people who have never spent any appreciable time here.

Just... don't swim in the lakes.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 04:20:09 AM »
Canberra has another great selling point... close to the Snowy Mountains.  I'd like to visit.  My beautiful wife has been ski touring there, some time ago.

personate-rain