Author Topic: Enough with the individual strategies, let's make a top 10 list of argument maps  (Read 837 times)

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
what is the actual, sanctioned-by-profesional-deprogrammers, step by step technique for disillusioning a person of a vested belief in a fundamentally bad idea?

Stay away from "professional deprogrammers." Those people are abusive, violent criminals.
Good point, but I'll admit that I'm still curious about the non-torturous techniques they use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Logic goes first, ideas go later, because ideologies can all go awry.

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
For now I'm recommending that folks try out https://www.rationaleonline.com/ for creating argument maps. I'm start with the free trial, and it's $30/6 mo for a subscription. I'm new to argument mapping, so there's a good chance that I'll recommend a different tool eventually.

On argument mapping, I'll post this from the wikipedia article:
There is empirical evidence that the skills developed in argument-mapping-based critical thinking courses substantially transfer to critical thinking done without argument maps. Alvarez's meta-analysis found that such critical thinking courses produced gains of around 0.70 SD, about twice as much as standard critical-thinking courses.[44] The tests used in the reviewed studies were standard critical-thinking tests.

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
Pardon the absence, but i finally have time to map out my first argument and I could use the wisdom of the masses.

I've decided to make the contention "antivaxers use con-man tactics". Or, more generically, it could be "antivaxers can't be trusted" instead.

Now I need a top 3 of reasons to support that with 2 pieces of evidence per reason.

Since finding common ground with the person that you're arguing with is almost always a good idea, my first reason of choice will be "the tobacco companies we're convicted of using the same tactics."

Two points of evidence to support that could be that antivaxers attack the media just as Big Tobacco did in example "x", where "x" is an actual, documented case that was uncovered by prosecutors.

That's the first point where my knowledge is weak. Does anybody know of such a documented case?

After that and two more reasons I will also have to come up with an objection that the other arguer might make.

Time to get off the Marc train. Thanks in advance folks!

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
So the next assertion I'll make is that antivaxers are simple victim of con men.

Exhibit 1... The dude that started the whole thing is the disgraced doctor Wakefield. Even better is the fact that, despite the ban on him, he's proven to be an unsinkable rubber duck.

Exhibit 2... More important is the point that most people familiar with the evidence know that Wakefield was a fraud, and they get flat out mad because babies.

Finally
Exhibit 3... The alternative explanation is far more in line with the love that doctors have shown us. The principal of charity.

personate-rain
personate-rain