Author Topic: How to count the length of a night's sleep?  (Read 319 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
How to count the length of a night's sleep?
« on: April 24, 2019, 02:29:23 PM »
Let's say that I go to bed at 23:50 o'clock and wake up at 7:00 o'clock. Let's say that it takes 10 minutes for me to fall asleep, so that I am sleeping at 00:00. That would make it 7 hours from my going to sleep to my waking up for the day.

However, let's say that during the night I wake up a few times. Not for long, a few minutes each time, and then I fall asleep again. Can I then really say that I slept for 7 hours that night, or should I subtract the amount of time I had minor wake-ups?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: How to count the length of a night's sleep?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 03:01:37 PM »
Waking up several times per night could be a case of sleep apnea, or otherwise not getting enough quality/deep sleep.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »
I usually wake up a couple of times a night.  I count from when I close my eyes till I get up the last time.

I'm a very light sleeper, but I just recently bought a set of foam earplugs and it has improved my sleep immensely.  Last night I woke up once.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:05:57 PM »
It takes me a while to fall asleep. Usually 30 minutes to an hour. I wake up several times during the night to pee. I count from when I turn out the light to when I get up in the morning. Probably not what's meant when "they" advocate getting X hours of sleep.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 07:28:54 PM »
Waking up in the night for a while is normal and expected. Unless I'm wide awake for a lengthy period after I pee that time is just part of my sleep schedule. Last night I woke at about 3AM and was awake for about 45 minutes for medical reasons. That time does not get included in my time asleep. The night before I woke about 2AM and was awake for maybe 5 minutes? That time does get included.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 05:29:27 AM »
I haven't slept eight straight hours in at least 30 years. Don't have apnea. (FOUR sleep studies confirm this.)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 06:18:48 PM »
I heard a circadian/sleep researcher that the thing to do is open 8 hours in the pit.  He recognised the difficulty with age to actually sleep for those eight.

Personally, I think I get six to seven an a half hours in those eight.  Plugging into All Night (RNZ National) seems to help. 

I pee only once in the night, not bad at my age... (PSA <1), and I use a head torch set on low to navigate. Turning on a room light is a sleep disaster.  Last night was particularly good as I had an long outside soak in the outside bath, heavily laden with magnesium chloride.

I hear the Oura ring is the go if one wants to torture oneself with numbers (or worry).
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:36:23 PM »
Use a sleep tracking app on your phone. I use Sleep Cycle, which shows me that I average 7 hours 42 minutes in bed. It also shows that I sleep better on the first night after putting clean sheets on the bed, and worse if I drink chamomile tea before going to bed. I have tracked my sleep for 938 nights and in that time I have spent 10 months in bed. My all-time best night's sleep was on the night of Friday 9 December 2016.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Orbem consistite ut escendam!

personate-rain