Author Topic: "Rules of Engagement," article on modern debate-me culture from The New Republic  (Read 7977 times)

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
To anyone other than these two losers:

Think of me what you will, that I'm a shrill bitch who overreacts or makes it personal--but my behavior here has been based on actual positions and actions done by these two. Others as well, but it seems John and Q-whatever are especially aggressive about pushing back at women and minorities. I didn't just pick their names out of a hat, I responded to positions they have taken that I find morally reprehensible, and I won't pretend to be civil with people for its own sake. That's a privilege. If that is against the rules of this forum, it's all good, I'm going to spend my time elsewhere from now on.

But this fantasy they're jerking each other off over is just insulting. I'm a bi woman and find it telling that--in addition to misogynist jokes elsewhere on the forum--the two of them are having a yuck over a really weak joke that intentionally misreads my complaints (and the complaints of others, but as I;n a woman I'm a target for them). It shows how deeply insecure and lacking actual intellectual merit they are that their arguments aren't ever against the points I've made, but rather to mock me with sexism and LGBT-phobia. "I've got a gay friend" indeed. Go fuck yourself.

Free speech without consequences isn't free speech. Objectivity isn't something you can claim for yourself. And reason and argument without context and self-awareness is just another tool to oppress others. Goodbye.

(Now I expect a flurry of posts from them both, as they certainly seem to like getting the last word in. Cowardly, after people make it clear they're leaving. Bye skeptics, you can do better than this.)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Congratulations guys, you've just driven away the forum's last woman.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Orbem consistite ut escendam!

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
AQB is still here! Thankfully.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
AQB is still here! Thankfully.

I've been told, confidentially, that there is one other.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Orbem consistite ut escendam!

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
I would say that the main advantage of online debate is that it's very easy to not opt into. It's also very easy to opt in, with potentially billions of participants, so there's bound to be a lot of conversations that are not worth taking part in. Someone's going to have a lower threshold for participating than you. Some people might even be paid to do it, in one way or another, so it's worth it to them regardless of what they get out of it otherwise.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
I think the wrong person just left.

At least the smart, educated champions of rationality, the gatekeepers of truth and proper conduct can declare another victory and pat each other on the back.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
All histrionics aside, I'm sure she'll be back. Like a bad penny, these crusader/victim/martyr types always return.

I would say that the main advantage of online debate is that it's very easy to not opt into. It's also very easy to opt in, with potentially billions of participants, so there's bound to be a lot of conversations that are not worth taking part in. Someone's going to have a lower threshold for participating than you. Some people might even be paid to do it, in one way or another, so it's worth it to them regardless of what they get out of it otherwise.

Exactly, If you don't like the discussion or don't want to debate, nothing is forcing you to participate.

But it's rather obnoxious to come into a community and start dictating how everybody should and shouldn't engage with each other in free discourse.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:59:04 AM by John Albert »

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Some people just don't get it, ever

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time

Too true.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time

Too true.

All this after making this place just that much less diverse and welcoming.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve by poisoning the forum with your toxic behaviour, but you should probably get your head out of your own arse and maybe do a bit of self-reflection.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
What exactly are you accusing me of?

I did "not make this place" anything.

What "toxic behavior" are you referring to?

I did not come here and attack people for having opinions different from my own.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time

Exactly.

But you know what? You can't force everybody to think just like you.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
heyalison, I am very sad to hear that you are thinking of leaving this forum. I value your voice here, and it will be a huge loss to the community if you leave. I'm sorry that other posters, including me, haven't done a better job of letting you know how much we support you.

I worry that the skeptical movement is being taken over by an infantile view that social and cultural issues can be stripped of all historical and human context and solved as a series of logical propositions. This simplistic reduction demonstrates a lack of empathy and appreciation of history. It also shows an appalling lack of awareness of human emotion and interactions. I hope that everyone--myself included-- strives to appreciate context and complexity and is open to learning from folks like heyalison.