Which should I read next?

The Expanse Book 8 - Tiatmat's Wrath
1 (11.1%)
The Interdependency Book 2 - The Consuming Fire
3 (33.3%)
Rememberance of Earth's Past (3 body problem) Book 2 - The Dark Forest
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Which Sci-Fi series should I continue with next?  (Read 1652 times)

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Which Sci-Fi series should I continue with next?
« on: April 24, 2019, 05:47:19 PM »
I'm in the middle of 3 great sci-fi series. I've got a 10 hour drive coming up and an audible credit. I like them all but I decided I'm gonna use the results of a poll here to decide which book to pick up next.

I read Persepolis Rising (Expanse book 7) like a year and a half ago, I read Collapsing Empire (Interdependency book 1) last year, and I literally just finished Three Body Problem 5 minutes ago.

The length of time since reading and number of books in the series are a factor mainly because it affects the amount of prep work (synopsis reading) I have to do before starting, but that's my problem not yours.

I don't really care if you aren't familiar with all the series. This isn't really about that it's just an unscientific way for me to make a decision without having to make a decision.

Thx!

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Which Sci-Fi series should I continue with next?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:51:16 PM »
I'm one behind you on Expanse, one ahead of you on Interdependency, and even on Three Body Problem.

I'm waiting to re-sub to Audible to go any farther on Expanse because I liked the audiobooks.  I liked Three Body Problem by wasn't hooked enough to go on to the next one.  I purchased Consuming Fire 30 seconds after finishing Collapsing Empire because I loved it to bits (and I was sad that it was over too fast haha).
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:42:51 PM »
I'm in the same place as amysrevenge (finished book 3 of The Expanse).

I would suggest continuing with the Three Body Problem sooner rather than later. I found the unstated cultural premises very difficult to internalize, and I listened to them back to back. I think it would have been much harder to understand the underlying motivations if I'd waited between books.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:53:15 PM »
I would suggest continuing with the Three Body Problem sooner rather than later. I found the unstated cultural premises very difficult to internalize, and I listened to them back to back. I think it would have been much harder to understand the underlying motivations if I'd waited between books.

My suggestion as well. I loved "Three-Body Problem" and went straight into the 2 sequels. While you are familiar with all the characters and motivations, you'll get more out of the sequels.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 10:01:43 PM »
Foundation and Dune are old hat, right? 

I always saw Heinlein’s three best books as a trilogy about sex, religion and politics.

(Can you name them?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 11:54:15 PM »
Friday, Job, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online CarbShark

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 02:25:23 AM »
You got politics.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:38 AM »
Hm.

Job is one of his best IMO and it certainly is about religion.

Friday came out in the mid 1980s, when I was a young teenager. That may have skewed my recollection of how focused the book is on sex.

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »
Well at this point Three Body Problem sequel is way in the lead! I'll probably end up picking that one up although my trip isn't till wednesday so there's still time to affect this poll, guys!

I'll definitely read the other two in short order in any case.

I've read all of foundation and all the Dune books up until the point where I was told "stop reading Dune at this point!" I couldn't tell you where that was. I read foundation like 15 years ago and Dune like 10 years ago.

I always saw Heinlein’s three best books as a trilogy about sex, religion and politics.

(Can you name them?)

I'm sorry to say I don't think I've read a single Heinlein. I watched Starship Troopers when I was a kid like a half a dozen times though. If I decide to jump over to Heinlein at some point soon what should I read?

Online CarbShark

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 05:55:37 PM »
Well at this point Three Body Problem sequel is way in the lead! I'll probably end up picking that one up although my trip isn't till wednesday so there's still time to affect this poll, guys!

I'll definitely read the other two in short order in any case.

I've read all of foundation and all the Dune books up until the point where I was told "stop reading Dune at this point!" I couldn't tell you where that was. I read foundation like 15 years ago and Dune like 10 years ago.

(Can you name them?)

I'm sorry to say I don't think I've read a single Heinlein. I watched Starship Troopers when I was a kid like a half a dozen times though. If I decide to jump over to Heinlein at some point soon what should I read?

It's hard for me to answer that. I believe I read every single book and short story that he'd written (or at least that were published by the mid-80s).

My favorites are "Stranger in a Strange Land," and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress."  Stranger was my first Heinlein.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 05:57:10 PM »

I made it to Book 4 (Dune Messiah) before giving up. Dune is my favourite SciFi book ever. The sequels are good, but never reach the greatness of Dune.

Heinlein is an author I could never get into despite being a huge sci-fi reader of that era.

"The Moon is a harsh Mistress" is ok. I keep meaning to read "Stranger in a Strange Land"
They seem to be his big 2 books.

If you are a big sci-fi reader you should check out "Sword and Laser". It's a Podcast, and online 'Sci-Fi and Fantasy' book club.
They read, and discuss a lot of Sci-fi (and Fantasy) from all eras. We've read Herbet, Heinlein, Asimov, Ray Bradley (The Martian Chronicles is next month's book)
http://swordandlaser.com/

I am a moderator on their Goodreads forum where we discuss the books and anything else book related (or not  ;) )
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4170-the-sword-and-laser

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 06:01:56 PM »
I went ahead an voted for continuing the Three Body Problem because I just got it on Audible.   :P

Also, I just finished the "Spin" series by Robert Charles Wilson, which I recommend (not great, but very good).

ETA:  I also recommend the Gentleman Bastard Series by Scott Lynch, (book one is The Lies of Locke Lamora) as a good fantasy selection.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:09:36 PM by Swagomatic »
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 07:10:42 PM »
I've read all of the 3 Body Problem and both Interdependency books. I've not read any Expanse due to an irrational resistance which I think is due to its popularity (maybe I'm a scifi hipster).

I felt very meh about 3 Body Problem. I think a lot of it was due to the Chinese names and how the story translated. My vote is Consuming Fire as I'm loving that series. Unfortunately there's nothing to follow up with yet after that short book.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 07:13:15 PM »
Dune moving forward from Herbert is a tricky situation.  I have a pretty wide acceptance of immersion - I can imagine, for instance, that the posthumous sequels are the "actual" events only written about by different chroniclers in a different style, and I am very interested in the "actual" events, so I read and enjoyed them and they felt real to me and not like cheap fanfic.

That said, the Herbert Junior/Anderson team is very much inferior to Herbert Senior at the craft of writing.  The books are (objectively? that might be a stretch, but it's nearly universally claimed) not as good.  But I still like them.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online CarbShark

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 09:56:56 PM »
Heinlein is an author I could never get into despite being a huge sci-fi reader of that era.

"The Moon is a harsh Mistress" is ok.
They seem to be his big 2 books.

OK? Wasn't one of the heroes an Aussie?

I keep meaning to read "Stranger in a Strange Land"

Stranger is amazing.