Author Topic: Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]  (Read 1371 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]
« on: April 25, 2019, 04:58:26 PM »
I'm leaving for the theatre in about 10 minutes.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:59:40 PM »
Not a wasted frame. Deliberate pacing. Character driven hilarity on occasion. Dark intensity and struggle. Tragedies, expected and very surprising.

Wow. Wow wow wow.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
Really dug it.  There is a lot packed into the one movie so I really want to watch it again.

My theater was packed, but was really into it.  There were a few breakouts of applause (Cap with Mjolnir, Thanos getting the powder treatment etc) and everyone laughed in all the right places.  After the Iron Man snap, there was a quick applause followed by complete silence interrupted by occasional sniffles.  It played really well.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 04:41:24 AM »
Despite my rotten mood these days, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, with a few caveats. The pacing was really solid for something this long, the payoffs and closures were masterful and in general, it was a fantastic closure of this MCU segment or whatever it can be called. I loved the twist in the end, even if I found out about it very early on (it was clearly telegraphed). I honestly never imagined anyone could pull off such a feat.

What I did not like was making a joke out of Thor's depression and weight gain. It was surprisingly offensive and not funny in any way, especially if you've been there yourself.

Alos, this film has a woman problem (nothing new to the MCU). I like Nebula's arc, but the others are a different matter. Nat gets killed because she is not the one with a family and then she doesn't even get properly mourned (unlike Tony) on screen, nor any proper closure for her characer arc. Everyone else is just sidelined: Captain Marvel does basically two things and disappears in between them for most of the running time. Gamora, Valkyre, Okoye and Wasp barely have any lines. And then there is a big, bombastic, on the nose girl power moment that is not earned in any way.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »
Over all I enjoyed this. As a hardcore FOOMer* from the seventies, I could write pages about it. But I'll just mention a few things.

I wish to Odin we could get a Thor closer to the regal. majestic, mature, intelligent character in the comics rather than the buffoon this movie and Ragnarok have made him into, and which seems to be the direction for his character forward if he continues in the films. Why can't Millennial audiences accept a Thor played straight??!??  Why do they have to mock and tear him down?

I really could have done without Captain America admiring his own ass. But Steve Rogers, a man who came of age in the 1930/40s, is totally comfortable consoling an openly gay man! Another subtle example of Cap's sterling moral core and why he's worthy to wield Mjolnir.

Finally Cap gets to call out "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!" on film and with half the Marvel Universe behind him. Loved it.

More later. Maybe.

*FOOM--Friend of O'l Marvel--the company's fan cub in the seventies.

Offline drwfishesman

• Frequent Poster
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 05:07:02 PM »
Just saw it and still processing....but did Capt. America make out with his own granddaughter? He did, right?
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline drwfishesman

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 05:10:18 PM »
If he went back and married Peggy, who is Sharon/Agent 13's grandmother and Steve made out with Sharon in Winter Soldier...............I'm just sayin'......whaaaaat?
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »
Thor played straight (even in the comics) was always a problem for me (not a millenial depending on which definition you use).
I guess that character is just hokey in the context of the world he finds himself in? The more loose and fun version suits me but they do push it to the extent that I wonder why the fuck he is still worthy? (Meritocracy my ass :P)

I dont really want to see Hercules in the MCU but I would LOVE if they paired Thor up with Amadeus Cho!

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 09:59:20 AM »
If he went back and married Peggy, who is Sharon/Agent 13's grandmother and Steve made out with Sharon in Winter Soldier...............I'm just sayin'......whaaaaat?
From what I can tell he created a parallel universe where Sharon would have likely not existed, maybe.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline drwfishesman

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 01:16:10 PM »
From what I can tell he created a parallel universe where Sharon would have likely not existed, maybe.

Well, that seems to make sense. Still Steve must have been hoping for a f'n boy when his grandkids were born. Otherwise....yayow!

Some other questions:

Loki?
Gamora....will GotG Vol. 3 sort this out? With Thor in tow?
Was the gal-only scene a wee-bit pandering?

Statements:

Black-widow didn't get her due. Though I did appreciate her clinical, professional approach to what had to be done. She was a pro..RIP.
Nebula is a bad-ass period, straight-up killed her younger self because it had to be done, no f'n around. Probably will be overlooked how much bad assery it took to do that.
Took a straight, fully-powered Infinity-gauntlet punch from Thanos to take Capt. Marvel out of the fight. Awesome.
Thought I was actually going to lose it at Stark's Funeral. The hits kept coming. Even the kid from the second film was there.

Overall well done. Interested to see what the future holds.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 01:36:46 PM »
Yeah, that girl power moment felt really pandery.  "look how woke we is!"  It's hard to forgive them for sidelining Nat for as long as they have, and now we have a prequel movie coming of her...which should have been made YEARS ago.  Tell me how Ant-Man gets a movie before the second Avenger to appear in the franchise?  Always the brides maid, never the bride...
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline drwfishesman

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 03:16:49 PM »
Yeah, that girl power moment felt really pandery.  "look how woke we is!"  It's hard to forgive them for sidelining Nat for as long as they have, and now we have a prequel movie coming of her...which should have been made YEARS ago.  Tell me how Ant-Man gets a movie before the second Avenger to appear in the franchise?  Always the brides maid, never the bride...

If we're talking seniority, Widow and Hawkeye were members of the Avengers Initiative before everyone including Iron Man...It could be argued that Capt. America was the original Avenger because of the program that made him I suppose.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 03:17:10 PM »
Thoughts about Black Widow and the Soul Stone:

It's established that the Soul Stone can't be taken from it's resting place on...wherever, I forget the name of the planet now....unless another soul is exchanged as "payment".

But Cap is going back in time to return the Stone.....does the exchange still work? Could he get Nat back? (who the hell established all this rigmarole anyway??? The Celestials? Why???) Maybe the Black Widow isn't a prequel after all....

And would the Red Skull still be there when Steve shows up to return the Stone? Skull was there to guard the Stone...but with no Stone present is he still bound to the planet? In the comics, they would use this as a plot hook to return the Skull to Earth and resume being a menace.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:19:43 PM by Paul Blevins Jr. »

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 03:22:25 PM »
Any thoughts on why Carol Danvers appears not to have aged in twenty-odd years??

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »
And would the Red Skull still be there when Steve shows up to return the Stone? Skull was there to guard the Stone...but with no Stone present is he still bound to the planet? In the comics, they would use this as a plot hook to return the Skull to Earth and resume being a menace.

Also, think about the awkward moment of the Cap - Red Skull reunion.

personate-rain