Author Topic: The Expanse - Syfy/Space  (Read 10108 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The Expanse - Syfy/Space
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2019, 10:20:46 AM »
I'm still impressed with how they managed to get the physics right, including orbital mechanics. Even with fusion engines, there is a limit to how many G's the ship can undergo, because there is a limit to how many G's the inhabitants can survive. And the part where he has the computer plan an unpowered gravity assist. (not going to spoil with details)
The books are great at this sort of thing, along with the biological difficulties of living in space. 

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
I'm still impressed with how they managed to get the physics right, including orbital mechanics. Even with fusion engines, there is a limit to how many G's the ship can undergo, because there is a limit to how many G's the inhabitants can survive. And the part where he has the computer plan an unpowered gravity assist. (not going to spoil with details)

That space battle is so fucking awesome, and (mostly) accurate.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2019, 08:59:46 PM »
The books are great at this sort of thing, along with the biological difficulties of living in space.

Agreed. They're about the most technically realistic science fiction books I have read.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2019, 10:24:52 AM »
I hope that Amazon doesn’t mess up that realism.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell