Author Topic: Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 05:47:44 PM »
If he went back and married Peggy, who is Sharon/Agent 13's grandmother and Steve made out with Sharon in Winter Soldier...............I'm just sayin'......whaaaaat?
From what I can tell he created a parallel universe where Sharon would have likely not existed, maybe.

Well, that seems to make sense. Still Steve must have been hoping for a f'n boy when his grandkids were born. Otherwise....yayow!

Some other questions:

Loki?
Gamora....will GotG Vol. 3 sort this out? With Thor in tow?
Was the gal-only scene a wee-bit pandering?

Statements:

Black-widow didn't get her due. Though I did appreciate her clinical, professional approach to what had to be done. She was a pro..RIP.
Nebula is a bad-ass period, straight-up killed her younger self because it had to be done, no f'n around. Probably will be overlooked how much bad assery it took to do that.
Took a straight, fully-powered Infinity-gauntlet punch from Thanos to take Capt. Marvel out of the fight. Awesome.
Thought I was actually going to lose it at Stark's Funeral. The hits kept coming. Even the kid from the second film was there.

Overall well done. Interested to see what the future holds.
Loki is getting his own dimension hopping mischief show.

I think Hemsworth doesnt want to do more Thor movies but is open to cameos so this sets that up I guess? He can be in the next movie or not.

Black Widow is getting a prequel but yeah...I felt cheated there too. Tony gets a funeral, she gets a bench in a lake.

I think Gamora will be addressed in GOTG 3? Maybe?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »
What I did not like was making a joke out of Thor's depression and weight gain. It was surprisingly offensive and not funny in any way, especially if you've been there yourself.

As someone who has struggled both with depression and weight all of my adult life, I did not find it offensive at all.  I thought it humanized the character, and I very much enjoyed it.

Captain Marvel does basically two things and disappears in between them for most of the running time.

Captain Marvel is such a powerful character that she would have overshadowed all of the other Avengers in a film that was meant to be their swan song. And remember that her duties span galaxies. I thought it was perfectly reasonable for her to leave Earth to the Avengers and to return only when she knew that she might be needed.

I wish to Odin we could get a Thor closer to the regal. majestic, mature, intelligent character in the comics rather than the buffoon this movie and Ragnarok have made him into, and which seems to be the direction for his character forward if he continues in the films. Why can't Millennial audiences accept a Thor played straight??!??  Why do they have to mock and tear him down?

I don't think he was mocked or torn down. I thought he was delightfully human and endearing, and that he served as the audience's emotional grounding in the film. I'm not a millennial, but he was one of my favorite parts of this film.  Forgive me, but I think that perhaps you boomers ought to get the sticks out of your asses.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:01:14 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »

Captain Marvel is such a powerful character that she would have overshadowed all of the other Avengers in a film that was meant to be her swan song...

I don't follow. How was this supposed to be her swan song?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 12:00:47 AM »

Captain Marvel is such a powerful character that she would have overshadowed all of the other Avengers in a film that was meant to be her swan song...

I don't follow. How was this supposed to be her swan song?

That was a typo. It should have read 'their.' I've fixed it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 11:54:55 PM »
Over all I enjoyed this. As a hardcore FOOMer* from the seventies, I could write pages about it. But I'll just mention a few things.

I wish to Odin we could get a Thor closer to the regal. majestic, mature, intelligent character in the comics rather than the buffoon this movie and Ragnarok have made him into, and which seems to be the direction for his character forward if he continues in the films. Why can't Millennial audiences accept a Thor played straight??!??  Why do they have to mock and tear him down?

I really could have done without Captain America admiring his own ass. But Steve Rogers, a man who came of age in the 1930/40s, is totally comfortable consoling an openly gay man! Another subtle example of Cap's sterling moral core and why he's worthy to wield Mjolnir.

Finally Cap gets to call out "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!" on film and with half the Marvel Universe behind him. Loved it.

More later. Maybe.

*FOOM--Friend of O'l Marvel--the company's fan cub in the seventies.

Despite my rotten mood these days, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, with a few caveats. The pacing was really solid for something this long, the payoffs and closures were masterful and in general, it was a fantastic closure of this MCU segment or whatever it can be called. I loved the twist in the end, even if I found out about it very early on (it was clearly telegraphed). I honestly never imagined anyone could pull off such a feat.

What I did not like was making a joke out of Thor's depression and weight gain. It was surprisingly offensive and not funny in any way, especially if you've been there yourself.

Alos, this film has a woman problem (nothing new to the MCU). I like Nebula's arc, but the others are a different matter. Nat gets killed because she is not the one with a family and then she doesn't even get properly mourned (unlike Tony) on screen, nor any proper closure for her characer arc. Everyone else is just sidelined: Captain Marvel does basically two things and disappears in between them for most of the running time. Gamora, Valkyre, Okoye and Wasp barely have any lines. And then there is a big, bombastic, on the nose girl power moment that is not earned in any way.

Thor
Thor played straight was done in The Dark World - almost universally viewed as the worst movie in the MCU. Whether it's Hemsworth as an actor or the character or both, this MCU Thor is a ton more better as a bit of a goof.

I saw it for the second time on Saturday and was even more impressed with the portrayal of Thor. He did funny things - as he did in most of the movies - but his condition was something that was treated as serious, real, and worthy of sympathy (except by Rocket). His friends tried to give him advice, support, and chances to build confidence. The fact that he is fundamentally a buffoon complicates this, but it was there before he fell into despair.

Black Widow
The mission she died for was not over. My guts dropped when I realized who was going for the Soul Stone, and what that meant. Nat's scene on the dock was deeply moving for me. I don't think they cheated her memory or the pain of her loss. They were still in the middle of it all when they gathered to mourn her. After two viewings I agree with what the creators have said about her sacrifice being something her character earned (in a narrative sense). "Let's make it worth it."

Bucky and Cap
Bucky knew Cap was going to tap out. He also knew Steve would choose Falcon. The timeline shenanigans should be cleared up in the next Because Science, but I'm pretty sure the continuity is consistent, Steve didn't bang his granddaughter, and Bucky's past is not the same as it was.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 05:24:05 AM »
I still think Caps happy life happened in another timeline. Nothing changed in the MCU timeline at all.
Sharon Carter is Peggys niece in the MCU btw which would probably still have been awkward but it was in Caps past and there is zero chance even if Im wrong about timelines that they could be related (unless he cheated on Peggy!).

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 07:21:04 AM »
I've seen speculation that Gamora and Black Widow are in the microverse inside the Soul Stone, so they'll be back.

If Disney sees a profit in them doing so.

Which there is.

So they will.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 08:18:35 AM »
I love how this film probably triggers MRA and white nationalists. Notably, the new Captain America seems to now be a black man. Captain Marvel and an army of women save the day.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 08:22:44 AM »
I've seen speculation that Gamora and Black Widow are in the microverse inside the Soul Stone, so they'll be back.

Which there is.

So they will.

They don't need to bring back Gomorrah because they have past!Gomorrah and the interesting question of whether she'll be led inevitably back to the Guardians/Quinn.  I highly doubt they'll bring back Black Widow in future Avengers films; instead, they'll use her in stand-alone prequel films.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 08:25:55 AM »
I love how this film probably triggers MRA and white nationalists. Notably, the new Captain America seems to now be a black man. Captain Marvel and an army of women save the day.
Wait until Morgan takes up the Ironman duties.  :D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 08:37:53 AM »

Which there is.

So they will.

They don't need to bring back Gomorrah because they have past!Gomorrah and the interesting question of whether she'll be led inevitably back to the Guardians/Quinn.  I highly doubt they'll bring back Black Widow in future Avengers films; instead, they'll use her in stand-alone prequel films.

Also prime timeline Gamora is gone, because Thanos destroyed that soul stone.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:45:45 AM by Rai »

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 11:26:53 AM »
The Guardians threequel will pop her back into existence.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 06:24:47 PM »

Why?  It doesn't need to.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 04:27:32 AM »

Why?  It doesn't need to.
Well, they're already filming #3 and she's onset in makeup, so they will need to do that in some fashion.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 04:52:32 AM »
That seems likely to be the version of Gamora from the alternate timeline though is the point. I think.
She was who Quill was searching for at the end of the last movie and she has no idea who any of them are.

personate-rain