Author Topic: Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 05:40:18 AM »
"Wheels within wheels, mysteries within mysteries." I just hope they don't make it too unbelievable.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 09:20:01 AM »
"Wheels within wheels, mysteries within mysteries." I just hope they don't make it too unbelievable.
I chuckled, thank you.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »
I chuckled, thank you.
Hey! I took my comics seriously. Well, at least until I turned 13.

But the garbage compactor between my ears surprised me when I saw the new Spiderman trailer. I saw a guy flying around with a goldfish bowl on his head.

"Hey! Is that Mysterio?"

Mind you, I haven't seen a comic with Mysterio in it since before JFK died. (Google that if you need to.) Can't remember where I left my glasses, but 55 year old memories are readily available.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2019, 12:53:04 PM »
I chuckled, thank you.

But the garbage compactor between my ears surprised me when I saw the new Spiderman trailer. I saw a guy flying around with a goldfish bowl on his head.

"Hey! Is that Mysterio?"

Mind you, I haven't seen a comic with Mysterio in it since before JFK died. (Google that if you need to.) Can't remember where I left my glasses, but 55 year old memories are readily available.

It is Mysterio, so there's a lot of speculation about what's actually going on in that movie.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2019, 01:34:27 PM »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2019, 06:27:35 PM »
I chuckled, thank you.

"Hey! Is that Mysterio?"

It is Mysterio, so there's a lot of speculation about what's actually going on in that movie.
Yeah, he's a real snake. Or maybe just misunderstood...

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 08:51:43 PM »
They should release "Infinity Wars" and "Endgame" as one continuous movie, to be called "To Infinity Wars, and Beyond!"

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »
I expect to find a fan edit that puts together all the relevant clips in in-universe order once Endgame is out on disc. The one I have seen is from 5 or 6 years ago - long before the time-travel skullduggery. It's actually a really interesting viewing. The scenes from the beginning of Thor and T:TDW open the thing - and then we're in CA:TFA. The scene where they dig him out of the ice is shifted to the end of the movie.

In the new edit the whole of Captain Marvel has to be slotted in after Cap falls, but before the main sequence of Thor starts.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 06:20:59 AM »
Avengers: Endgame - 10 huge MCU Problems It's Created. (Made my brain hurt.)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »
Avengers: Endgame - 10 huge MCU Problems It's Created. (Made my brain hurt.)

youtu.be/m6DeNpY-T2s

He made my brain hurt too. 8½ of his points are flat-out whinging. One is solid, but not hard to write around, and he misses one completely. The ½ is for a spot-on point about Marvel Studios, not the MCU.

My responses in spoilers because I feel grumpy this morning and maybe you don't need that in your life.

10. Thanos is dead and they don't have any other great bad guys.
(click to show/hide)

2. Earth is fucked.
3. New Gamora’s relationship with Quill is hokey.
9. S:FFH is convoluted because all Peter's classmates were dusted.
(click to show/hide)

6. Alternative realities keep stakes low and confusing.
(click to show/hide)

5. Captain Marvel is grossly overpowered.
(click to show/hide)

4. Endgame’s raised the stakes too high for future movies to top.
(click to show/hide)

1. “Don’t ask questions precedent.”
(click to show/hide)

He did make two points that were not just whinging.

8. Black Widow's death undermines her solo movie.
While going on about this he says Marvel Studios waited FAR FAR FAR too long to pull the trigger on a Black Widow movie. On that point I heartily agree. We were ready for that at least five years ago. That's a Hollywood / real world problem though, not something internal to the MCU.
(click to show/hide)

7. Time travel can solve every problem.
This is a real issue for future stories, along with immortality, but I'm pretty sure they can write around it.
(click to show/hide)

Yeesh. I really am grumpy this morning.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019, 07:50:27 AM »
I don't think it's fair to say Marvel has a cardboard villain problem.  The MCU does, but the Netflix/Marvel series have had some great villain writing/performances.  Kingpin, Killgrave, Cottonmouth, Black Mariah, Jigsaw...all with potentially better stories/performances than the heroes they are fighting against.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2019, 10:59:57 AM »
Fair.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2019, 11:08:17 AM »
Will Stormbreaker sprout a new Groot?

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

While going on about this he says Marvel Studios waited FAR FAR FAR too long to pull the trigger on a Black Widow movie. On that point I heartily agree. We were ready for that at least five years ago. That's a Hollywood / real world problem though, not something internal to the MCU.
(click to show/hide)

This is a real issue for future stories, along with immortality, but I'm pretty sure they can write around it.
(click to show/hide)

6.  All you've really done there is point out that its a problem for both the MCU and comics.  I'd argue its a bigger problem for the movies on account of being produced over a shorter period of time and the fact that the MCU's big achievement was being such an expansive yet cohesive whole.  The multi-verse does kind of mean that doesn't matter that much anymore.
5. She kind of is but so was Thanos, has he complained that Thanos's powers seem to rise or fall depending on who he's fighting?
4.  This has been a problem for most of the superhero franchises though.  The basic plot for all of them:
  A.  Superhero gets powers
  B.  Faces regular bad guys
  C.  Beaten by more powerful badguy
  D.  Finds the inner(or outer) strength to beat new badguy.
  E.  Sequel start over but this time Hero is already at D so what now? The loose there powers?  They have an even bigger bad?  By the second sequel where is there left to go?

Marvel has done a good job of dealing with it for the most part though. 

8.  This is a problem with all prequels, you kind of know were the story ends up so how do you make the journey interesting.  I think Blackwidow's back story likely has much more potential than most of these characters so finger's crossed on that one.

Easyish time travel always has this problem.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2019, 12:33:05 PM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

6.  All you've really done there is point out that its a problem for both the MCU and comics.  I'd argue its a bigger problem for the movies on account of being produced over a shorter period of time and the fact that the MCU's big achievement was being such an expansive yet cohesive whole.  The multi-verse does kind of mean that doesn't matter that much anymore.
5. She kind of is but so was Thanos, has he complained that Thanos's powers seem to rise or fall depending on who he's fighting?
4.  This has been a problem for most of the superhero franchises though.  The basic plot for all of them:
  A.  Superhero gets powers
  B.  Faces regular bad guys
  C.  Beaten by more powerful badguy
  D.  Finds the inner(or outer) strength to beat new badguy.
  E.  Sequel start over but this time Hero is already at D so what now? The loose there powers?  They have an even bigger bad?  By the second sequel where is there left to go?

Marvel has done a good job of dealing with it for the most part though. 

8.  This is a problem with all prequels, you kind of know were the story ends up so how do you make the journey interesting.  I think Blackwidow's back story likely has much more potential than most of these characters so finger's crossed on that one.

Easyish time travel always has this problem.

#6. The idea of a multiverse where there are real consequences was explored in Into the Spiderverse. I think the MCU will be able to navigate this issue reasonably easily by imposing their own significant limits on dimension hopping and time travel. (The Avengers got away with it because of Dr. Strange's foretelling, not because it's easy.)

Will Stormbreaker sprout a new Groot?

Well, what do we know about how Groots reproduce? I mean, we know they can produce flowers. (That scene is kinda disturbing when you consider what Groot was doing there. I mean, I guess we know why Groot looked so happy after spewing out reproductive bodies?) Can they clone via runner vines too?