Author Topic: Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]  (Read 2404 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2019, 12:39:15 PM »
Captain Marvel/Superman power levels are only a problem if every movie is about their personal stake in "beating" a bad guy.
Can they win AND save all of the innocents? What toll does inevitable failure take on them? How do they avoid losing themselves in the responsibility.
Its the same problem Liam Neeson has in all of his films to be honest. The way around it is just better storytelling and that has been pulled off many times in the comics.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2019, 06:55:44 AM »
Alternate ending:

Thanos: "Where's the infinity stone?"

Doctor Strange: "It's in this dog."

Thanos after killing the dog: "Did you think that would stop me?"

Doctor Strange: "Wait for it..."

John Wick: "Has anyone seen my new dog?"

Thanos: "Fuck!" 
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2019, 08:23:20 AM »
 ;D
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 10:16:24 AM »
Oh, Sharon Crater was Peggy's Great Niece so Steve is ok.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2019, 05:02:29 AM »
And then there is a big, bombastic, on the nose girl power moment that is not earned in any way.

I finally got to watch End Game today and that scene did stand out as being a decision made by committee.

I'm all for girl power, but in a battle containing thousands of people, to have every single known female character fighting together in the one spot, just seemed forced.

The same effect could have been achieved by having them shown individually, or in small groups, kicking a lot of alien butt.

A great end to the Infinity Stones story line. 10/10

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2019, 06:54:59 AM »
And then there is a big, bombastic, on the nose girl power moment that is not earned in any way.

I finally got to watch End Game today and that scene did stand out as being a decision made by committee.

I'm all for girl power, but in a battle containing thousands of people, to have every single known female character fighting together in the one spot, just seemed forced.

The same effect could have been achieved by having them shown individually, or in small groups, kicking a lot of alien butt.

I felt the same but someone pointed to it being a direct fuck you to the antifeminist fanboys and so in that sense, it makes me smile!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2019, 08:11:40 AM »
I saw the Lady Power thing as a subunit of the response to Thanos' attack.  But seriously, that whole scene was one big easter egg.

(More after I get my Blu-ray, Aug. 15th.)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2019, 03:52:04 PM »

I felt the same but someone pointed to it being a direct fuck you to the antifeminist fanboys and so in that sense, it makes me smile!

Which I'm all for. The same could have been achieved in a more believable, and less forced, manner. But it wasn't enough to stop me loving the movie.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2019, 05:50:22 PM »

Which I'm all for. The same could have been achieved in a more believable, and less forced, manner. But it wasn't enough to stop me loving the movie.

I enjoyed that scene quite a lot. I didn't notice that it was all women until I read about it in an article after the fact.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline drwfishesman

• Frequent Poster
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2019, 08:11:05 AM »

My wife did NOT feel the same. She said it took her out of the movie and was kind of disingenuous. It irked her. Dropped the movie from a solid 10 to a 7 for her.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2019, 09:04:28 AM »
Why is it bad that the women had a sub-team of their own?

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2019, 11:47:02 AM »
Why is it bad that the women had a sub-team of their own?

I don't think it is bad, but the way it came about, in the middle of the battle with zero lead up to it, felt very forced.  If it could have been something of a subplot throughout, culminating in that moment, the payoff would have been great.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2019, 12:41:56 PM »

My wife did NOT feel the same. She said it took her out of the movie and was kind of disingenuous. It irked her. Dropped the movie from a solid 10 to a 7 for her.

I had the same feeling. Marvel hasn't been all that great to its female characters, especially in the early MCU and I just don't think they have the right to play the Girl Power card.

How many of those characters in that scene even talked to each other beforehand?

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2019, 12:47:30 PM »
finally saw it and I had a lot of problems with it
1)  (same problem as infinity war)  When the stakes are half the life in the whole universe the trolly problem is really not a thing any more, you would be an idiot to put personal motivations over such high stakes.  Looking at you Captain Marvel.

2)  wait so half the planet is now 5 years older than the other half?  WTF?

2a)  I'd have spent more of the movie developing the time travel plot, then use it to get the stones and have infinity gauntlet powered iron man fight Thanos to the death, but not five years into the future, have that scene just before the snap.

3)  I figured the snap was just a metaphor for channeling the stones power, it seemed silly to me that they needed to reproduce the snap again.

4) Despite having had no spoilers I saw every beat of this movie coming from miles away. 

5) Why was infinity stone free thanos so tough to beat?

6)  It was not satisfying for them to kill what was effectively a different thanos than they one we had in the last movie.

7)  I was confused by how apocalyptic the earth was supposed to be and if so, I am not sure how well the just popping everyone back 5 years later helps.

8)  Captain Marvel really shouldn't have been in this movie unless they came up with something more interesting for her to do.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2019, 05:45:24 PM »
Superdave-
2) Yes. Thats consequences. Im ok with that
2A) We establish that it would be fatal for him.
3) Yeah. I guess. But there needed to be an instigation of some sort. Why not that?
5) He is a titan. And the most powerful exponent of his planet.
6) They killed that thanos very early. This wasnt about revenge, it was about preserving what they had saved.
7) It seems it would be pretty rough. But 5yrs later is not supposed to fix or not fix that. Its supposed to save those who were taken.