Author Topic: Episode #720  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #720
« on: April 27, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »
News Items: Energy Free Cooling, First Molecule, Reviving Pig Brains, Fake Miracle Cure; Who’s That Noisy; Your questions and E-mails: Journal Reliability; Name That Logical Fallacy; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #720
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 09:06:21 AM »
The episode coming up early today, very much appreciated, thanks! :)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Rueful Rabbit

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 02:33:25 PM »
Steve pronounced the word "annal" the same as "anal", which is rather unfortunate.  The first "a" should be short, so as to rhyme with "panel".

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 07:42:54 PM »
Yep - Anals of Psychology (or whatever) really stuck out like a sore thumb. I had to laugh then had to cry because NO ONE jumped in to correct him! Too bad Cara wasn’t on the show - I think she’d have a great laugh at that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline wolfwing

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 10:45:39 PM »
On the topic of being alive like that, there was a few scifi things I've seen like this.

There was a episode of I THINK elementary where guys on this drug either hallucinated, or actually were experiencing time at a highly aclerated rate to where a few days/weeks were like months to them.

And a anime called junji ito collection episode 2 the long dream,where very time this guy went to bed it would be sleeping longer, to where he had a entire life in the dream and then woke up the next day and was slowing losing himself.   
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:55:14 PM by wolfwing »

Online swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 11:55:37 PM »
On the topic of being alive like that, there was a few scifi things I've seen like this.

There was a episode of I THINK elementary where guys on this drug either hallucinated, or actually were experiencing time at a highly aclerated rate to where a few days/weeks were like months to them.

And a anime called junji ito collection episode 2 the long dream,where very time this guy went to bed it would be sleeping longer, to where he had a entire life in the dream and then woke up the next day and was slowing losing himself.
That makes me think of a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Inner Light" where Captain Picard lived out an entire adult lifetime as part of an alien culture in under half an hour; then in the Deep Space 9 ep. "Hard Time" Miles O'Brien got to experience a time-compression… but his experience was not nearly as pleasant.

As for being in virtual solitary confinement for months or years... that's starting to sound pretty good right about now. (Of course if the jailer makes the walls show the Twitter feeds of certain people then maybe I'd be willing to put on the skimpy French maid's uniform and get to work.)

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 05:14:17 AM »
I always thought of falsifiability as a necessary trait of any scientific theory, and this idea has been reiterated many times on the SGU. I picked up Adam Becker's book What Is Real? The Unfinished Quest for the Meaning of Quantum Physics after hearing him on the SGU and on Cara's show. A very interesting section of the book claims that this Popperian notion is outdated, and that many contemporary philosophers of science disagree with it. I'd be interested to hear the rogues' take on some of these arguments (or if they have already done so).

Offline Analog2

• Brand New
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:37:51 AM by Analog2 »

Online swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »

Climate change voice:

http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environment/global-warming/frank-capra-warns-of-global-warming-1958

I recognized it immediately (for once in my life). The entire episode is online... and a bit hokey (the interaction between live actors and cartoons doesn't reach the Roger Rabbit level), so I can see why it wasn't well received, but still gives a good overview of what they knew about weather at the time. (Noisy part starts at 50:14.)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 10:13:19 PM »
I don't want to re-start the whole pronunciation debate, but I was also quite amused when Steve turned the annals of psychology into something involving butt holes.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 10:17:06 PM »
There's a story in the Thousand Nights and a Night (a.k.a. The 1,001 Arabian Nights) wherein a guy is put into a magic barrel where he finds himself in an unknown place, finds a job, gets married, has kids, and after many many years is about to die of old age when he's pulled out of the barrel and only minutes have passed. So the theme goes back at least as far as pre-Islamic Arabia.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »
I don't think I understand why atomic hydrogen wouldn't just react to form molecular hydrogen as it is collapsing into a star. Can someone explain to me why that's impossible?
Mooohn!

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 02:49:32 PM »
I don't want to re-start the whole pronunciation debate, but I was also quite amused when Steve turned the annals of psychology into something involving butt holes.

That's about as Freudian as a slip gets.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline mabell_yah

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 07:02:45 PM »
My response to Ben's letter:

1) "In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms". Stephen Jay Gould

It is not Science's job to draw an immutable  bright line between the possible and the impossible. Reality extended to include such remote possibilities is meaningless chaos.

2) "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

3) Science looks for multiple branches of evidence that converge on a truth. Religions like Christianity fracture into thousands of denominations based on the same book. That's not a strong indicator of truth.

Offline mabell_yah

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 07:09:26 PM »
[duplicate post removed]