Author Topic: Episode #720  (Read 1321 times)

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #720
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 08:56:57 AM »
Hey guys, another great episode.  Steve, if you are worried about missing the dark sky event when you are in Aus, come past Canberra again adn I can take you guys out to Lake George to see the Milky Way, Magellanic Clouds, the fuzzyness of the Orion Nebula by eye, Eta Carina and the Southern Cross, Pointers and where Proxima is!  No charge.  ;)

Also, the quick chat about probabilities and how bad "we" are at judging risk, had me remember a "Risk Intelligence" test I did online a little while ago.  It no longer exists at "Projection Point", but if you do a app store search for "Risk IQ" (second app that appears in "play store"), there is the same test in app form.  Very good way to gauge how much we think we know and are willing to attach certainty with.  Very revealing.  If you guys have a good 15mins, give it a try.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=projectionpoint.rqtest&hl=en_US

Damien
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
Steve pronounced the word "annal" the same as "anal", which is rather unfortunate.  The first "a" should be short, so as to rhyme with "panel".
Yep - Anals of Psychology (or whatever) really stuck out like a sore thumb. I had to laugh then had to cry because NO ONE jumped in to correct him! Too bad Cara wasn’t on the show - I think she’d have a great laugh at that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't want to re-start the whole pronunciation debate, but I was also quite amused when Steve turned the annals of psychology into something involving butt holes.

I'm pretty sure that this was a deliberate call-back to a joke from a previous episode.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 10:21:51 AM »
My response to Ben's letter:

1) "In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms". Stephen Jay Gould

It is not Science's job to draw an immutable  bright line between the possible and the impossible. Reality extended to include such remote possibilities is meaningless chaos.

2) "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

3) Science looks for multiple branches of evidence that converge on a truth. Religions like Christianity fracture into thousands of denominations based on the same book. That's not a strong indicator of truth.

I would also add that sure, one could posit a god behind it all. But it is not necessary to do so, it doesn't add anything or explain anything. Therefore there is no point in doing that. It's like suggesting (I did not make up this example myself) that elves inside the walls are part in activating the lights when you push the button. An unnecessary assumption.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 02:51:48 PM »
Re: Ad

I don't really know that you're huge fans of those horses, because you only talk about them when you're paid to, never sharing your unsolicited opinions.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 05:08:12 AM »
Hey guys, another great episode.  Steve, if you are worried about missing the dark sky event when you are in Aus, come past Canberra again adn I can take you guys out to Lake George to see the Milky Way, Magellanic Clouds, the fuzzyness of the Orion Nebula by eye, Eta Carina and the Southern Cross, Pointers and where Proxima is!  No charge.  ;)

If this happens, let me know and I'll come along!
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2019, 08:32:51 AM »
Yep - Anals of Psychology (or whatever) really stuck out like a sore thumb. I had to laugh then had to cry because NO ONE jumped in to correct him! Too bad Cara wasn’t on the show - I think she’d have a great laugh at that one.

I couldn't get past that either. It might be a regional pronunciation. I'd say it like "ah-nals".
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 11:28:24 AM »

I couldn't get past that either. It might be a regional pronunciation. I'd say it like "ah-nals".

No, it's a call-back to a joke from a previous episode. Steve would pronounce it to rhyme with 'panel.'
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 10:10:53 AM »
No, it's a call-back to a joke from a previous episode. Steve would pronounce it to rhyme with 'panel.'

Perhaps so, but it sure didn't come across that way to me, as a listener. Curious - I don't recall it's previous mention on the SGU, but I've been listening for a long time (not quite since the Perry days but close). If it's more recent, I'm surprised I've forgotten, because I do remember a similar mistake on another podcast from probably 5-10 years ago. It was used in the phrase "the annals of history". A sidekick on the podcast quickly jumped in and quipped, "that's the backside of history".  :D

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 09:26:55 PM »

Perhaps so, but it sure didn't come across that way to me, as a listener. Curious - I don't recall it's previous mention on the SGU, but I've been listening for a long time (not quite since the Perry days but close). If it's more recent, I'm surprised I've forgotten, because I do remember a similar mistake on another podcast from probably 5-10 years ago. It was used in the phrase "the annals of history". A sidekick on the podcast quickly jumped in and quipped, "that's the backside of history".  :D

I highly doubt that was unintentional, either. I don’t get why you’d conclude it was a mistake rather than another example of the kind of puerile humor they engage in all the time (PNAS, Uranus, etc.).  I don’t think such jokes are particularly funny, but the rogues clearly do.

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2019, 01:16:02 PM »

I highly doubt that was unintentional, either. I don’t get why you’d conclude it was a mistake rather than another example of the kind of puerile humor they engage in all the time (PNAS, Uranus, etc.).  I don’t think such jokes are particularly funny, but the rogues clearly do.

Pearl clutching? Really?
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 08:25:18 PM »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 12:46:07 AM »

The best part of the joke was that none of the other rogues laughed or even said anything after Steve mispronounced the word at least twice.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 12:59:06 AM »

The best part of the joke was that none of the other rogues laughed or even said anything after Steve mispronounced the word at least twice.

That’s usually my response to such jokes, too.  And, yes, I sadly find that all too often people repeat them, apparently under the misapprehension that I didn’t hear them the first time.

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 07:28:53 PM »
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 09:19:53 PM »
Pearl clutching? Really?

Huh?

Eh, old and grumpy, ignore me.
By that logic we wouldn’t have much of a forum.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

personate-rain