Author Topic: Notebook suggestion needed  (Read 305 times)

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Notebook suggestion needed
« on: April 28, 2019, 06:09:28 AM »
I will be temporarily moving to a different continent, and I have been looking for something very portable and not crazy expensive. My main needs are: reasonable durability, not too small, very good screen and capable of handling everyday use and photo editing and it should not be crazy expensive.

I looked at a couple of options, but I haven't been able to find the perfect one. I looked at the XPS 13 and the Thinkpad t480s, but they are both too expensive (around the USD 2000 range around here). The thinkpad has cheaper versions, but those have a reportedly crap screen.

I was also eyeing the Surface Laptop 2 and Surface Book 6, which seem fairly reasonable, but I am not sure if they are solid enough.

Any suggestions?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Notebook suggestion needed
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 06:59:53 AM »
You're shopping in the US?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 07:16:11 AM »

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:01:41 AM »
This may still apply: Look for "open boxes". They are returned items and in the US they have a nice discount.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 06:05:15 PM »
Have you thought about getting a unsed older cousin of the ones you are looking at?
After all, the ultimate recycle is often to just reuse older equipment.
I know I am pretty happy with my 4th generation I7 laptop.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 08:26:14 AM »
I have no idea what photo editing on a chromebook is like, but there are some very good values to be had in them if they meet your needs.  Acer's 14-inch chromebooks in particular get good reviews. Of course whether a chromebook will work for you will also depend on what continent you're going to and your access to Internet.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain
personate-rain