Author Topic: Why does the computer "goes to sleep" in this way?  (Read 300 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Why does the computer "goes to sleep" in this way?
« on: April 27, 2019, 09:00:10 AM »
A few times now it has happened when I play computer games that all of a sudden the fan starts to become really loud, and I got a message on the screen saying that the computer is going to sleep. After that the screen acted as if the computer had gone to sleep, whereas the fan continued to be really loud. I couldn't do anything, except forcibly turn off, and then start the computer anew.

What is the cause of this? Bad hardware? My computer (from 2012) going old and creaky?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Why does the computer "goes to sleep" in this way?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 09:49:22 AM »
I guess it could be some kind of safety feature to prevent damage from overheating. Or two separate issues, the forced sleep mode, and the fan going crazy when sleep mode is initiated. I've experienced similar fan issues.

You should be able to disable sleep mode, and then you can get a program like HWMonitor to pay attention to changes in temperatures. Look up what the safe range is for your components.

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
How old is your video card? IME they have a shorter life than the computer itself. Maybe 2-3 years. The fans start to get noisy and then the card fails. You may want to get take a can of compressed air and/or vacuum with appropriate soft attachment to get rid of dust and debris from inside your computer, particularly around moving parts like fans and ventilation areas.

My kids are grown and gone, and I'm not a gamer, so when my last video card went, I simply didn't replace it, and relied upon the integrated graphics on the processor. No significant deterioration in performance for my use case, and the computer is much quieter too (it still has a fan, just not two anymore). If you're a gamer, I think video cards probably should be considered a wear item. [I confess, however - I never bought at the top end of the video card range, maybe they last longer, IDK]
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 11:47:45 AM »
Something (probably your graphics card) is overheating.  This causes the fan speed to increase to protect components and, if it can't keep up, your machine is sleeping to prevent adding more heat until it cools off.

Are you by chance playing a new, more advanced game?  If so, it may be overtaxing your 7-year-old graphics card.  It's also possible that you have issues with dirt/dust clogging your heat sink, failing or inefficient fans, or even a faulty temperature sensor.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
It's also possible that you have issues with dirt/dust clogging your heat sink,

My money’s on this. Dust and pet dander are electronics killers.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

The graphics card is as old as the computer. It is the same one that came with the computer.

The games I played when it happened were old (Age of Mythology and Medieval II: Total War), and I have played them many times before.

I should try to open the computer and check if there is any dust or dirt clogging things up.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 06:31:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

The graphics card is as old as the computer. It is the same one that came with the computer.

The games I played when it happened were old (Age of Mythology and Medieval II: Total War), and I have played them many times before.

I should try to open the computer and check if there is any dust or dirt clogging things up.

At this point you mite consider a new machine, you could probably find a used unit with twice the capability of what you probably have now for cheap. Or more.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 11:43:21 PM »

Especially since it sounds like he has never cleaned it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

At this point you mite consider a new machine, you could probably find a used unit with twice the capability of what you probably have now for cheap. Or more.

Yes I will almost certainly buy a new machine at some point during this year.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 01:41:06 PM »

Especially since it sounds like he has never cleaned it.

The computer is not completely sealed as it is, and I have used the vacuum-cleaner where it is possible. But I have never opened the actual machine completely.

personate-rain
personate-rain