Poll

In a recent episode Steve asks how many nonavian dinosaurs could you rattle off the top of your head. So that's the question here

0- 25
8 (50%)
26 - 50
6 (37.5%)
51 - 75
0 (0%)
76 - 100
0 (0%)
100 +
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: How many dinosaurs do you know  (Read 698 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: How many dinosaurs do you know
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 02:52:44 PM »
Sorry, that wasn't intended as mockery. Point taken.
After Nutterbuttersaurus I would accept any name.  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 03:04:54 PM »
I didn't think it was. Its hard to undo decades of harmful social norms we never thought much about, so we have to catch each other where we can.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 03:49:38 PM »

I didn't think it was. Its hard to undo decades of harmful social norms we never thought much about, so we have to catch each other where we can.

So all sex jokes that don't involve plain vanilla missionary position are to be taken as gay bashing or kink shaming?

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 03:56:11 PM »

So all sex jokes that don't involve plain vanilla missionary position are to be taken as gay bashing or kink shaming?
Nope. Not at all.
Reread the rule in question.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
I'd imagine the lickalotopuss dinosaur would have been fine if it had not been specified as lesbian. Lesbians are not the only people who engage in cunnilingus.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 04:32:36 AM »
I'd imagine the lickalotopuss dinosaur would have been fine if it had not been specified as lesbian. Lesbians are not the only people who engage in cunnilingus.

This is true.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 04:59:44 AM »
I remember a Buck Brown cartoon in Playboy, roughly 1967, where a smiling young lady is relaxed on a blanket next to a campfire while the cowboy is "readjusting his wardrobe". The caption read "White man speak with forked tongue!"  >:D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 05:14:02 AM »
I remember a Buck Brown cartoon in Playboy, roughly 1967, where a smiling young lady is relaxed on a blanket next to a campfire while the cowboy is "readjusting his wardrobe". The caption read "White man speak with forked tongue!"  >:D

Where's the :cringe: emoticon?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 05:17:17 AM by John Albert »

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »

Where's the :cringe: emoticon?
"O tempore, o mores."

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 12:55:27 PM »
I know a few, T-Rex, Pterodactyl, Brontosaurus, Pluto, Dino
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »
I know a few, T-Rex, Pterodactyl, Brontosaurus, Pluto, Dino
Denver

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 08:55:46 PM »
I was a dinosaur kid so I know a lot. Much of my knowledge is 40 years old, though. And I've forgotten the names of some of them.

Tyrannosaurus, triceratops, diplodocus, brachiosaurus, compsognathus, muttaburrasaurus, iguanadon, apatosaurus, pachycephalosaurus, hadrosaurus, allosaurus (my favourite dinosaur), stegasaurus, parasaurolphus, protoceratops, the other ceratopsian with lots of horns around its frill, the various honking ones with bone crests for resonance, velociraptor, utahraptor, many other small raptors, the one whose name means "egg thief", other sauropods including the titanosaurs, troodon, various other theropods...

And that's not even counting the non-dinosaurs like mosasaurus, elasmasaurus, icthyodon, pteranodon, quetzalcoatlus, that other little pterosaur with the long tail, dimetrodon, the other mammal-like reptiles of the Jurassic...

And all the rest. I could probably name many more if I could recall their names.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 06:03:27 AM »
One of my favorite non-dinos was:
(Thus speaketh Wiki.)
Liopleurodon is a genus of large, carnivorous marine reptile belonging to the Pliosauroidea, a clade of short-necked plesiosaurs. The two species of Liopleurodon lived during the Callovian stage of the Middle Jurassic Period. It was the apex predator of the Middle to Late Jurassic seas that covered Europe. Wikipedia
Mass: 2,200 – 3,700 lbs
Eats: Kimmerosaurus
Length: 16 – 23 ft.
Lived: 166.1 million years ago - 139.8 million years ago (Callovian - Berriasian)
Scientific name: Liopleurodon (Smooth-sided tooth)
Fossils: BMNH R2680, BMNH R3536, BMNH R2447, BMNH R2446, BMNH R5911

personate-rain