Author Topic: Objective Unbiased News source  (Read 2279 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Objective Unbiased News source
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »
So.... No one wants to answer my ACTUAL question. They just want to tell me how my question is wrong. Typical skeptic attitude. This is why I am not a activist.

The problem is that the question does not have an answer. You are asking for something that does not exist, and then getting upset when people answer honestly. Would you rather we lied to you?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2019, 03:36:34 PM »
I find it hard to believe that many people are unable to recognize the spirit of a question and it sometimes feels like an excuse for people to show off their super literal scrutinizing skeptical powers.

The problem is that, strictly speaking, a generally good source doesn't exist.  There's a discard pile and there's a 'usable with caveats' pile.

And I really, really wish what OP wants existed.  (Closest I've seen in The Financial Times.)
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2019, 05:49:37 PM »
I think there is a lot of merit to the horseshoe theory.

There is, at least to the extent that the farthest extreme of any belief system tends to have authoritarianism in common.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2019, 10:38:34 PM »
So.... No one wants to answer my ACTUAL question. They just want to tell me how my question is wrong. Typical skeptic attitude. This is why I am not a activist.

The problem is that the question does not have an answer. You are asking for something that does not exist, and then getting upset when people answer honestly. Would you rather we lied to you?

Except that it does exist, as I have been pointing out. You just have to not restrict yourself to American media.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2019, 02:32:34 AM »

Except that it does exist, as I have been pointing out. You just have to not restrict yourself to American media.

I am not sure it does. The most reputable non-American news sources are still very biased. BBC has been taken over by the Tories and cannot be trusted on anything that intersects with Tory interests, especially Brexit. Al Jazeera is good, unless you want news fro  the Gulf States. And so on...

The least biased news sources I ever found were specific breaking news aggregators like Airlive or Conflict News, but they are also very broad and they still have to select what they publish based on some kind of bias.

Here's an example of subtle bias:

What's missing from this piece of news from a respectable, objective news agency? The Subsaharan African victims, who are apparently not newsworthy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:56:31 AM by Rai »

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
I really like BBC Analysis and More or Less: Behind the Statistics podcast, and a few from The Economist. Unfortunately, they are not really a broad source of news, but more focused on a few key stories or issues, and of course, UK and EU leaning.

I like to search under podcast providers, and I have found the BBC quite good for being quite balanced. I also like the Guardian, but they are a bit left of the spectrum in the UK, so obviously they are communists in the US.

I love More or Less.  He gets play on Planet Money and its related podcasts all the time.  And while they are a real neo-lib (ie classical liberal) podcast, they too are considered commies here in the US.  Mainly because they acknowledge Keynes.  And quite frankly because they don't engage in Chicago land Economic Woo - the currency of the Right and many Libertarians right now.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2019, 10:25:36 AM »

Some non-American media are much better than most American media. But all have their biases. Every news source chooses what to report on and what not to report on, and this reflects their views on what's important and what isn't. Even within a story, they will choose which details to include and which not. And that's the very best-case situation. And I doubt that any news source is that good as to have no other biases than just its choice of what to report on. The most complete view of the news requires reading many sources.

Full disclosure: since the election here, I'm avoiding all news to the extent I'm able. It's just too damn depressing.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline FrugalLife

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
I don't think there's a single national news source that hasn't been touched by political bias, pseudoscience, and wokeness in some way.

I try to read small city and suburban newspapers, taking care to avoid the coasts. For example: the Rochester Post-Bulletin, in Rochester, Minnesota. The Rocket-Miner, in Rock Springs, Wyoming. They're going to play to their local biases, but if you read multiple sources, you'll be more likely to have a balanced view.

I also read Reuters and AP for international news. I read the BBC, mostly to see the view of America from across the pond. I read NPR, but I'm always on guard because wokeness has started seeping in everywhere. It's become so ubiquitous, I've actually stopped my donations to npr.

I avoid YouTube like the plague. YouTube is like the opinion page on steroids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2019, 01:44:24 PM »
I don't think there's a single national news source that hasn't been touched by political bias, pseudoscience, and wokeness in some way.

Can you please expand on "wokeness" in the media?

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2019, 05:18:01 PM »
Great, now our only source of bias are the people making the "news media bias" charts and diagrams.

Offline FrugalLife

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2019, 10:02:00 PM »

Probably not to your satisfaction.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2019, 10:19:20 PM »
I see...well I sure am happy you chimed in.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2019, 05:36:42 PM »
The Economist and The Guardian are not American, they are British.

You're right - my mistake. Notice that both of them are in the Complex, Minimal Bias oval.

They are. They do have their editorial stances, The Economist classically liberal, and The Guardian social democratic. But they are not making up news stories, respect science, and are generally trustworthy.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2019, 05:41:39 PM »

Sent using Tapatalk.

Do it anyway

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2019, 09:22:24 PM »

Sent using Tapatalk.

Do it anyway

Yes please.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!