Poll

What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?

The independent country Georgia
2 (5.4%)
The American state Georgia
27 (73%)
Other
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?  (Read 2274 times)

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 12:35:53 AM »
and unusually charming music.

you mean Trap  ???

Some trap music is OK, but I was thinking more along the lines of bluegrass, high lonesome vocals, Piedmont blues, the Southeastern indie rock of the 1980s and '90s, and artists like Ray Charles, James Brown, Little Richard, Otis Redding, The B-52's, R.E.M., Vic Chesnutt, Five Eight, Elf Power, the Jack-O-Nuts and The BBQ Killers, to name a few...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:50:41 AM by John Albert »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 12:45:00 AM »
I'd go out on a limb here and saying that every American reading this thread - and most of the rest of us who have been brought up on a steady diet of American culture - would bring to mind the American state first. Europeans, particularly Eastern Europeans and people who watch Eurovision are probably the most likely to think of the Caucasian ex-Soviet country first.

Since this forum is dominated by Americans, it's no surprise that most people responding to the poll have selected the American state.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 01:04:16 AM »
I'd go out on a limb here and saying that every American reading this thread - and most of the rest of us who have been brought up on a steady diet of American culture - would bring to mind the American state first. Europeans, particularly Eastern Europeans and people who watch Eurovision are probably the most likely to think of the Caucasian ex-Soviet country first.

Since this forum is dominated by Americans, it's no surprise that most people responding to the poll have selected the American state.

I thought first of the Caucasian country, since it’s a much more historically important geographical entity.  The only thing I can think of regarding the American state is Sherman’s March to the Sea (and that was 19th century).  The European Georgia has as one of its previous natives one Joseph Stalin for example.  Who managed to out-Hitler Hitler for barbarity.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 01:32:30 AM »
and unusually charming music.

you mean Trap  ???

Some trap music is OK, but I was thinking more along the lines of bluegrass, high lonesome vocals, Piedmont blues, the Southeastern indie rock of the 1980s and '90s, and artists like Ray Charles, James Brown, Little Richard, Otis Redding, The B-52's, R.E.M., Vic Chesnutt, Five Eight, Elf Power, the Jack-O-Nuts, The BBQ Killers, and Motherfucker to name a few...

Georgia has put put a ton of great music in just about every genre. Currently it dominates the hip hop and pop charts and its not the first time. 

Growing up in the north east and even later in Florida I had a negative view of Georgia until I lived here and found out what it was really like.

I could not tell you one thing about the other Georgia, I bet the BBQ sucks. Can anyone say anything cool about that Georgia?

I can understand why living in Europe you would think of Eurasia Georgia first. 

A few months ago I visited in both Athens and Rome, I didn't think of Italy or Greece at all. I do giggle a little when visiting Cumming.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:34:57 AM by Captain Video »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 03:13:44 AM »
I thought of the US state.

Though the only things I know about Georgia are:

It's where the US Masters is held,
That is where the infamous "Toilet Olympics" was held (That is a Roy and HG reference that I doubt anyone outside Australia will get  ;) )
It's where "The Walking Dead" was based (Until they moved north)
It has the busiest airport in the world.
It's where "Gone with the Wind" was set.

That's 5 more things than I know about the country of Georgia  ;)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 03:20:07 AM »
I could not tell you one thing about the other Georgia, I bet the BBQ sucks. Can anyone say anything cool about that Georgia?

Khorumi is pretty cool.

Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 04:03:12 AM »
Historically great hip-hop from the U.S. State:
Andre 3000, Big Boi, T.I., Donald Glover, Jeezy, Ludacris, so many more.

Also some world-class universities (UGA, Georgia Tech, Spelman, Emory, Morehouse, and many more).

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 04:37:05 AM »
Annoying my Georgian (the country) friend/colleauge with a Southern accent and frequent references to moonshine, banjos, alligators and Sherman.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 06:35:14 AM »
♫Those Georgia girls
really knock me out,
They are the cat's meow.♫

Uh...is that supposed to be “Back in the U.S.S.R.”?
Working from memory. Gomenasai.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 08:24:21 AM »
A place you don't want to be gay or trying to collect benefits if you're in a same sex marriage.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
A place you don't want to be gay or trying to collect benefits if you're in a same sex marriage.
Does that apply to both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 11:13:51 AM »
I cannot shake the impressions from my youth: Racism, lynchings, the murder of civil rights workers, Bull Connor (yes, I conflate Georgia with Alabama), etc. Of course racism was just as vicious in the north, but we didn't realize that until later. And of course Georgia is a very different place now than it was then. But just as I'll never forget the girl I was head over heels in love with at the age of 15, Georgia will probably always remain synonymous in my mind with the worst that humanity has to offer, even though I know I'm being unfair. I do like a southern accent, almost as much as a madrileño accent in Spanish.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 11:55:55 AM »
REM

Mike Stipe is a neighbor of mine in Athens, just a few doors down. I work here during the week and go back to Atlanta Thursday afternoon.

Funny anecdote...a friend was coming to visit with her two sons. The eldest at the time was about 8, very intelligent, Asperger's. His interest then was flags. On the way home from the airport, we pointed to the state capitol. "Look, there's the flag of Georgia." He was a bit disappointed. "That's just the state, not the country Georgia."

He's an interesting young man. Has met Kim Jong Un a few times and even introduced him to Dennis Rodman. I may have told that story here before. He was also in Libya when Kaddaffi went down. Lunched with the deposed king of Rwanda in DC. Rubbed elbows with the rebel leaders in one of the Congos. Just married a gal from Vietnam.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:04:12 PM by gebobs »

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2019, 01:17:19 PM »
I thought of Ray Charles too.  At first I thought I was just being cute because I knew what the question was really asking, but then I realized I read the word Georgia in the title with Ray's singing voice in my head.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »

You have a point, but I think that for non-Americans, it is not quite that simple.

At least over here, the most well-known, or at least the most fancy, American states I would think are (in no particular order) California, New York, and Florida. Minnesota is also well-known to a lesser extent because many Swedes emigrated there back in the days. Georgia is not considered fancy or cool or hip, and unlike Minnesota is has no historical connection to Sweden. It is not really a state to which many people (from here) go on vacation or want to live in.

There might not be any significant group of Americans of Australian descent, but aren't some American states more well-known and considered more hip than others among Australians?
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

personate-rain