Poll

What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?

The independent country Georgia
2 (5.4%)
The American state Georgia
27 (73%)
Other
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2019, 01:31:53 PM »
I somehow always assume people in Europe know about the state I live in.  I know they have KFC in large parts of the continent.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2019, 02:37:21 PM »
I somehow always assume people in Europe know about the state I live in.  I know they have KFC in large parts of the continent.

Haha literally the letterboard sign at the nearest KFC to me reads "THE C IS FOR CHICKEN".  No word on the K or the F yet.

(Also, humourously, due to very strict language laws, that particular establishment in Quebec (at least last time I was there) is called PFK and not KFC.  But the K is still the same as far as I know.  It is also called PFK in my household, by popular demand of me.)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »

Haha literally the letterboard sign at the nearest KFC to me reads "THE C IS FOR CHICKEN".  No word on the K or the F yet.

(Also, humourously, due to very strict language laws, that particular establishment in Quebec (at least last time I was there) is called PFK and not KFC.  But the K is still the same as far as I know.  It is also called PFK in my household, by popular demand of me.)
That's funny as hell.  I knew the french word for Chicken, but not fried (although I should have).  In France, it's still called KFC, which makes Quebec more French than France :)

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2019, 02:54:38 PM »
I'd go out on a limb here and saying that every American reading this thread - and most of the rest of us who have been brought up on a steady diet of American culture - would bring to mind the American state first. Europeans, particularly Eastern Europeans and people who watch Eurovision are probably the most likely to think of the Caucasian ex-Soviet country first.

Since this forum is dominated by Americans, it's no surprise that most people responding to the poll have selected the American state.

You have a point, but I think that for non-Americans, it is not quite that simple.

At least over here, the most well-known, or at least the most fancy, American states I would think are (in no particular order) California, New York, and Florida. Minnesota is also well-known to a lesser extent because many Swedes emigrated there back in the days. Georgia is not considered fancy or cool or hip, and unlike Minnesota is has no historical connection to Sweden. It is not really a state to which many people (from here) go on vacation or want to live in.

There might not be any significant group of Americans of Australian descent, but aren't some American states more well-known and considered more hip than others among Australians?
You should add the State of Washington to your list, they also got a lot of Scandinavian immigrants and are home to such things as Swedish Hospitals and the Ballard(Seattle) Nordic Museum. 

https://nordicmuseum.org/

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
There might not be any significant group of Americans of Australian descent, but aren't some American states more well-known and considered more hip than others among Australians?

Most Australians would only really know a few states well. Mostly California, Hawaii and 1 or 2 others.

They would be more aware of individual cities like  New York, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Las Vegas, Miami etc

Most of us couldn't tell you anything about the smaller states. i.e Delaware. I know it exists and that's about it  ;)

Then again how many Americans could tell you anything about individual Australian states, UK counties, French provinces etc  ;)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2019, 04:27:49 PM »
Frit.  As in pommes frites.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:46:04 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2019, 04:37:59 PM »
Yeah, when I saw the PFK I figured out the chicken part but couldn't come up with the F.  Once I googled it, I remembered pommes frites and could have smacked myself.  It's not like I've taken a French class, but I have studied a little bit of cooking, which requires a good bit of French.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »
I thought of Ray Charles too.  At first I thought I was just being cute because I knew what the question was really asking, but then I realized I read the word Georgia in the title with Ray's singing voice in my head.

Same here.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2019, 05:03:48 PM »
I'd go out on a limb here and saying that every American reading this thread - and most of the rest of us who have been brought up on a steady diet of American culture - would bring to mind the American state first. Europeans, particularly Eastern Europeans and people who watch Eurovision are probably the most likely to think of the Caucasian ex-Soviet country first.

Since this forum is dominated by Americans, it's no surprise that most people responding to the poll have selected the American state.

You have a point, but I think that for non-Americans, it is not quite that simple.

At least over here, the most well-known, or at least the most fancy, American states I would think are (in no particular order) California, New York, and Florida. Minnesota is also well-known to a lesser extent because many Swedes emigrated there back in the days. Georgia is not considered fancy or cool or hip, and unlike Minnesota is has no historical connection to Sweden. It is not really a state to which many people (from here) go on vacation or want to live in.

Funny you mention New York, as I don't know how many times I have met people from other countries (and even some fellow Americans) who have no idea that New York is a state. When you tell someone you are from New York, they usually think the city.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »

Then again how many Americans could tell you anything about individual Australian states, UK counties, French provinces etc  ;)

I had to learn Australian states and Canadian provinces in elementary school... but I could only get about half of them on a quiz now... so it's my fault, not America's.

But there are no really great songs about Ontario or Queensland.  Or Delaware or Connecticut for that matter... that's about all that Georgia has going for it.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2019, 05:18:23 PM »
But there are no really great songs about Ontario

You hush your mouth.

Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
Funny you mention New York, as I don't know how many times I have met people from other countries (and even some fellow Americans) who have no idea that New York is a state. When you tell someone you are from New York, they usually think the city.

Is "New York, New York" in the Frank Sinatra song like "Houston, Texas", or would it have had to be "New York City, New York" to be a proper reference?

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 05:49:10 PM »
(click to show/hide)

That's my answer too
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2019, 07:07:58 PM »

Is "New York, New York" in the Frank Sinatra song like "Houston, Texas", or would it have had to be "New York City, New York" to be a proper reference?

"New York, New York"  is a complete reference.  One might use NYC or Mew York State for that matter if you thought there might be confusion.  And of course if you live outside of NYS, then NYS is also called upstate New York.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »
But there are no really great songs about Ontario

You hush your mouth.

(edited out link to prevent it from infecting more brains)

Damn you, I didn't even press play and it's still bored itself into my brain.

A place to something, a place to grow, Ontariariario.

personate-rain