Poll

What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?

The independent country Georgia
2 (5.4%)
The American state Georgia
27 (73%)
Other
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?  (Read 3467 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2019, 02:35:58 PM »
That you don't see Georgia used as a ladies name much any more

Midnight train to ...

The show Atlanta

That some people think Atlanta is becoming cool but that seems wrong.

it goes on like this and would take awhile for the country of Georgia to register. If I was in the area might check it out but its pretty far down on my list of regions to vacation. I don't have a lot of leave and just a bunch of other places I'd like to check out first.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2019, 02:58:49 PM »
how about Wagga Wagga, New South Wales.
Sister City to Walla Walla, Washington I assume. 

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
In their native tongue, Georgians refer to themselves as the Kartveli and to their country as Sakartvelo. But the Kartveli have for many centuries been associated with George, the Roman soldier and Christian martyr.

The Arabs, Ottomans, and Persians—who ruled over the country at various times until the Russians took control in 1801—chose to name Sakartvelo after its beloved patron saint, whose image dotted the art and architecture of the region.

The American Georgia, on the other hand, was named after King George II of England, who granted the state its charter in 1732.

That you don't see Georgia used as a ladies name much any more

Midnight train to ...

Don't see the name Gladys much anymore either.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2019, 03:56:55 PM »
Waste of time learning that as we are getting a new one in 22 days  ;)

and by 22 days I mean 18 days  ;) It's been a long day  ;D Don't know where I got 22 days from  ???

The average American doesn't even know or care that we're having an election, let alone that our electoral system beats the crap out of theirs.

To be fair, most people outside Australia don't know, or care, we are having an election. There is no reason for them to care.

I agree our electoral system is superior, but at least they don't have a monarch. I want that gone before I die. That should end on the death of QEII.

You folks voted to keep her them, didn't you?

Yes, but it was a botched process. Deliberately undermined by our then monarchist PM John Howard.

Before the Constitutional Convention (in 1998) that was held to work out the finer points of the referendum the polls were showing that Australia would vote for a Republic (By a small margin)

At the Convention most people wanted to vote on a model where the people voted for our President. Which would be an Irish model President (No real power with the same powers as our Governor-General) It was decide an American style president was a really bad idea.

John Howard (PM) used his power to overturn the preferred model and only gave the option of the Australian Parliament choosing a President. This pushed a lot of pro-republic supporters to vote NO until we got a model where the people got to decide who our President would be.

I still voted YES for the republic as I thought get the monarchy gone and fix the Presidential model when Labor got back into power.

I do think I will see a republic in my lifetime. No-one wants King Charles 3 and Queen Camilla.

The worst thing that could happen for republicans, is for Charles to die before the Queen, and William to be the next King. He is hugely popular here.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2019, 07:54:02 PM »

"New York, New York"  is a complete reference.  One might use NYC or Mew York State for that matter if you thought there might be confusion.  And of course if you live outside of NYS, then NYS is also called upstate New York.

Well, don't forget Long Island!
Speaking of, being from Long Island I, like many Long Islanders would refer to anything north of the Bronx as "upstate". This brought laughs from people in college when I refereed to the mid-Hudson valley as "upstate".
Saw a NYC guy wearing a t-shirt that said:
"The Far East is China.
The Middle East in Iraq/Iran.
The Near East is Long Island."
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2019, 09:24:22 AM »
Funny you mention New York, as I don't know how many times I have met people from other countries (and even some fellow Americans) who have no idea that New York is a state. When you tell someone you are from New York, they usually think the city.
High probably guess regardless.  NYC, pop 8million  NYS, pop 20million, roughly. 

I'm from California, I can't count the number of times I was asked if I surfed.  Nope, I have picked fruit though.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2019, 10:26:40 AM »
I'm from Vermont, orginally.  I lost track of the number of times that, when I told someone this fact, they said, "What state is that in?"  I've spoken to many Vermonters who've had the same experience.  I began to think that it was some sort of coordinated joke the rest of the country was playing on Vermonters, but Hanlon's razor weighs against that conclusion.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2019, 10:44:50 AM »
I'm from Vermont, orginally.  I lost track of the number of times that, when I told someone this fact, they said, "What state is that in?"  I've spoken to many Vermonters who've had the same experience.  I began to think that it was some sort of coordinated joke the rest of the country was playing on Vermonters, but Hanlon's razor weighs against that conclusion.
Pssst....
(click to show/hide)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »
Perhaps if your state didn't have such a frenchy name.  Tell 'em you're from Green Mountain.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »

When I lived in North Dakota, when I traveled, Americans would asked me where that was. But when I visited Cuba, people would say, (I'm translating) "Oh, yes. In the middle, next to Canada." Cubans know more U.S. geography than we do ourselves. Which says something about our respective educational systems.

I know very little U.S. geography. And even less world geography. Of course, now that I'm in my dotage I cannot even remember the things I do know.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2019, 12:27:49 PM »
We were once getting gas at a station in upstate New York, just a stone's throw from Lake Champlain (a 172-mile long lake with an area of 587 square miles and which separates New York from Vermont). If you stood on a hill, you might have been able to see Vermont.  The attendant, looking at our license plate, said, "Vermont?  Where's that?"

My dad, taken aback but not wanting to sound condescending, replied, "Oh...just across the lake."

"What lake?"
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:32:55 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »
Well, Upstaters. What can you say?

I mean a good number of them are Red Sox fans, so that says all you need to know about their intelligence.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2019, 02:52:39 AM »
As a public service I will say this.

Australia has six states and two territories, and some tiny offshore bits that no-one really cares about.

The capital of New South Wales is Sydney. The capital of Victoria is Melbourne. The capital of Queensland is Brisbane. The capital of South Australia is Adelaide. The capital of Tasmania is Hobart. The capital of the Northern Territory is Darwin. The capital of Western Australia is Perth. The capital, and only city, in the Australian Capital Territory, which is also the nation's capital, is Canberra, which is where I live.

Wagga Wagga is in New South Wales, and don't call it Wagga.

Incidentally, Wagga Wagga is where the Charles Sturt University's world-class viticulture programme is.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:16:49 AM by arthwollipot »
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2019, 03:05:07 AM »
You missed the best state.  ;)

The capital of Tasmania is T  ;D

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2019, 03:15:43 AM »
You missed the best state.  ;)

The capital of Tasmania is T  ;D

I did! I'm very sorry. I've fixed it now.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:24:56 AM by arthwollipot »
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe