Poll

What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?

The independent country Georgia
2 (5.4%)
The American state Georgia
27 (73%)
Other
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: What do you think of first when you hear "Georgia"?
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2019, 10:09:52 AM »
As an American, all I know of some of those places are song lyrics/titles.  Some aren't exactly flattering:

Some sound nice:
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2019, 12:19:40 PM »
I first think of Willie Nelson.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »
WT fcking F Georgia!

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/hb-481-georgia-law-criminalizes-abortion-subjects-women-to-life-in-prison.html

This should probably go in the politics section but F U Georgia, this is why you are not, nor will ever be cool.

On Tuesday, Georgia Republican Gov. Brian Kemp signed a “fetal heartbeat” bill that seeks to outlaw abortion after about six weeks. The measure, HB 481, is the most extreme abortion ban in the country—not just because it would impose severe limitations on women’s reproductive rights, but also because it would subject women who get illegal abortions to life imprisonment and the death penalty.

The primary purpose of HB 481 is to prohibit doctors from terminating any pregnancy after they can detect “embryonic or fetal cardiac activity,” which typically occurs at six weeks’ gestation. But the bill does far more than that. In one sweeping provision, it declares that “unborn children are a class of living, distinct person” that deserves “full legal recognition.” Thus, Georgia law must “recognize unborn children as natural persons”—not just for the purposes of abortion, but as a legal rule.

This radical revision of Georgia law is quite deliberate: The bill confirms that fetuses “shall be included in population based determinations” from now on, because they are legally humans, and residents of the state. But it is not clear whether the bill’s drafters contemplated the more dramatic consequences of granting legal personhood to fetuses. For instance, as Georgia appellate attorney Andrew Fleischman has pointed out, the moment this bill takes effect on Jan. 1, 2020, the state will be illegally holding thousands of citizens in jail without bond. That’s because, under HB 481, pregnant inmates’ fetuses have independent rights—including the right to due process. Can a juvenile attorney represent an inmate’s fetus and demand its release? If not, why? It is an egregious due process violation to punish one human for the crimes of another. If an inmate’s fetus is a human, how can Georgia lawfully detain it for a crime it did not commit?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2019, 04:43:05 PM »
Does Georgia really give a flying fuck about due process?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2019, 08:09:36 AM »
Georgia city not ready for a black employee. Sigh.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/georgia-mayor-under-fire-for-alleged-remarks-about-black-job-candidate/Qr403ZLnF5VuB8CzpngLjP/

Mayor wins support from city councilor who says race mixing isn't Christian. Sigh.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2019/05/georgia-city-councilman-interracial-marriage-is-not-how-christians-should-live/

I'm a big believe large progressive companies should move 50,000 progressive employees into these states and start to change the politics at the ballot box.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2019, 02:47:07 PM »
or the ones there should just relocate, get the F out, let them rot.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2019, 03:27:17 PM »
Georgia is really two different places, I have heard this said about Cali too.

Greater Atlanta is an entirely different animal than the rest of the state. We tried seceding but they threatened to cut off our water supply.

The general consensus among my local union leaders is that this new abortion law will not make it through court when challenged.

Don't punish those that have been fighting this. The last thing we need is for anyone to leave, it just makes the conservatives more smug.

This is a quote from a FB friend and union sister.

It is very easy to think that Hollywood should call for a ban of shooting in Georgia as a way to punish the state. "Dollars talk." Etc..... But here is the reality of the situation. The film industry pulls out of Georgia and the headway that we have made flipping this state purple is lost. The real difference is made fighting this on the battleground where the fight matters. And that is flipping seats while supporting the ACLU who are the ones who will be confronting this in court. If our state loses this battle, there will be far reaching rolling consequences including California.

I still love this city and state regardless of the shameful political and religious mess. 
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online CarbShark

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2019, 03:36:03 PM »
California is like four entirely different states

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »

Greater Atlanta is an entirely different animal than the rest of the state. We tried seceding but they threatened to cut off our water supply.

The general consensus among my local union leaders is that this new abortion law will not make it through court when challenged.

Don't punish those that have been fighting this. The last thing we need is for anyone to leave, it just makes the conservatives more smug.

It is very easy to think that Hollywood should call for a ban of shooting in Georgia as a way to punish the state. "Dollars talk." Etc..... But here is the reality of the situation. The film industry pulls out of Georgia and the headway that we have made flipping this state purple is lost. The real difference is made fighting this on the battleground where the fight matters. And that is flipping seats while supporting the ACLU who are the ones who will be confronting this in court. If our state loses this battle, there will be far reaching rolling consequences including California.

I still love this city and state regardless of the shameful political and religious mess.

I have such mixed feelings about the proposed movie industry boycott of Georgia.  I know so much of your (and thousands of others just like you) are tied to that economy, but I can't fault members of that industry wanted to flex it's muscles to try to influence change. Ultimately, dollars will probably speak louder than politics though, at least form the studios's perspectives, and they will continue to do business in GA regardless.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2019, 07:59:40 PM »

I have such mixed feelings about the proposed movie industry boycott of Georgia.  I know so much of your (and thousands of others just like you) are tied to that economy, but I can't fault members of that industry wanted to flex it's muscles to try to influence change. Ultimately, dollars will probably speak louder than politics though, at least form the studios's perspectives, and they will continue to do business in GA regardless.

The boycott is actually going to cost the state a lot of income. There is fierce competition for movie and TV production, and numerous states have government offices set up to bring in productions.

Studios, producers and networks won't be changing their existing contracts or disrupt ongoing productions (Walking Dead will stay put) but new shows will be headed to other states or Canada, and the budding Georgian film industry will slowly dry up.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2019, 09:08:16 PM »

The problem is there are those using this issue to push an entirely different agenda to get the work out of Georgia and back to LA.

Milano changed her tune once the local female film workers contacted her. She went down to protest but I think it still hurt the cause. She went in representing a large group of female film workers who remained outside, Georgia residents and voters, Milano is not, when questioned about it she was made to look foolish and mostly ignored. They would have been much better off choosing a local resident to go in and speak while Milano played to the news cameras outside. I suppose the attention was better than nothing but the conservative voters in this state do not cave in to Liberal threats, they sneer at them then double down.  If you want to make a real statement contact Coke, Delta, UPS and Home Depot then refuse to use their services . They are all headquartered here and have the real power. I don't want any of their people loosing work either but a boycott threat from one of those companies would be devastating as opposed to the film industry.

Regardless, the ACLU is not recommending a boycott nor is the greater film industry for now.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/georgia-governor-signs-heartbeat-bill-hollywood-quiet-boycott-1202132239/

Sources tell IndieWire that they don’t know what a Georgia boycott could accomplish as this plays out in the courts. The ability to influence state politicians on this issue has passed. The impact would be on Hollywood itself, the vendors and crew that have relocated to the state, and its own bottom line. Hollywood brought more dollars back from Georgia ($800 million) during the 2018 fiscal year than the New York, New Mexico and California rebates combined.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »
Here's a couple interesting takes:

Dear Hollywood: Georgia's new abortion law means you have to stop shooting there. Now - Los Angeles Times

Muted Hollywood response to Georgia's 'heartbeat' abortion ban shows how much studios have to lose - Los Angeles Times

But the entertainment industry’s response to the same state’s new, restrictive abortion law has been relatively muted after Gov. Brian Kemp on Tuesday signed a bill banning abortions once a fetal heartbeat can be detected. That can be as early as six weeks, which is before many women know they’re pregnant.

FWIW, I don't think the boycott will lead to a complete shutdown of anything. Even if there's no official boycott, the decision makers in the industry will be less eager to start new productions in Georgia.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »
Right now when I hear Georgia I think of strong women (and puppets) Molly Coffee is leading the fight representing female film workers.

please sign the petition

https://dachshund-horse-jzb7.squarespace.com/we-are-the-women-of?fbclid=IwAR10nMUkN6l3Tjkf213B20XRxP6SNOIL_GGcp-AzAYWCcVXGODwZ50B1TRY

WE ARE THE WOMEN OF THE FILM & MEDIA INDUSTRY IN GEORGIA. WE’VE BEEN BUILDING UP OUR INDIVIDUAL CAREERS FOR YEARS, AND MANY OF US ARE ACTIVE IN VARIOUS INDUSTRY ORGANIZATIONS, UNITING TO RIDE THE UPS AND DOWNS THAT SO MANY OF US EXPERIENCE IN THIS BUSINESS
IT IS WITH SOME CONSIDERABLE FRUSTRATION THAT WE HAVE WATCHED OUR STATE GOVERNMENT AND OUR CURRENT GOVERNOR ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT OUR NATIONAL LAWS AND UNDERMINE THE ABILITY OF GEORGIA WOMEN TO MAKE THEIR OWN REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH DECISIONS. MANY OF US WORKED HARD TO ELECT A GOVERNMENT THAT RESPECTS OUR JUDGMENT AND COMPETENCY AS WOMEN TO MAKE THE VERY PERSONAL CHOICES THAT GOVERN OUR LIVES. IT HAS BEEN DISCOURAGING AND HEARTBREAKING TO COME SO CLOSE TO ELECTING THE REPRESENTATION WE DESERVE, ONLY TO BE DRAGGED BACK DECADES.
IT IS EVEN MORE DEVASTATING TO WATCH OUR STATE BE PAINTED WITH ONE WIDE BRUSH. WE NOW SHARE THE BURDEN OF CONDEMNATION FOR ACTIONS WE FOUGHT FROM THE BEGINNING – WITH OUR TIME, ENERGY, TALENTS, AND CONTRIBUTIONS. IN SPITE OF BEING PART OF THE RESISTANCE, WE’LL SUFFER THE ACTIONS OF OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS TWICE OVER. FIRST, IN THAT OUR CANDIDATES DID NOT WIN A CLEAR MAJORITY DURING AN ELECTION WITH NUMEROUS QUESTIONABLE PRACTICES. SECOND, IN THE MULTIPLE WAYS WE MAY SUFFER FROM LOSS OF INCOME AND RESOURCES IN OUR INDUSTRY DUE TO BOYCOTTS.
MANY OF US MADE CAREER CHOICES THAT ALLOWED US TO STAY HERE WHERE WE HAD BUILT A COMMUNITY, A FAMILY, A HOME. WE ARE WOMEN OF ALL FAITHS AND COLORS, FROM ALL KINDS OF BACKGROUNDS. WE ARE THE BACKBONE OF THIS INDUSTRY AND WE DO NOT TAKE WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE, OR AROUND THE COUNTRY, OR AROUND THE WORLD, LIGHTLY. IT WOULD BE A GREAT COMFORT TO MOVE TO ANOTHER PLACE WHERE THE FIGHTS FELT FAIR AND THE BATTLES WERE EASIER TO WIN. BUT THAT WOULD BE GIVING UP AND WE ARE NOT QUITTERS.
TO THOSE WHO CHOOSE NOT TO COME TO GEORGIA BECAUSE OF THE ACTIONS OF OUR GOVERNMENT, WE UNDERSTAND YOUR REASONING. BUT PLEASE KNOW THIS: GEORGIA’S HARDWORKING WOMEN AND MANY MEN IN THIS INDUSTRY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THE RESISTANCE FROM THE INSIDE. WITH OUR VOICES, OUR ART, AND OUR DAILY BOOTS ON THE GROUND, WE’LL KEEP WORKING FOR THE LEADERSHIP WE DESERVE. YOUR CONDEMNATION IS UNDERSTANDABLE, BUT WHAT WE REALLY NEED MOST IS ALLIES. CHANGE IS COMING. YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT IS APPRECIATED, HOWEVER YOU CAN GIVE IT.
YOURS FROM THE FRONT,

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »
Congratulations to us - now the first thing I think of when I hear "Georgia" is this thread.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada