Author Topic: Is it healthier to drink alcohol in moderation compared to not at all?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Is it healthier to drink alcohol in moderation compared to not at all?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
To be fair, I did have a doctor once recommend drinking red wine with dinner to raise my HDL.  So perhaps there are doctors who would advise teetotalers to start drinking.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 04:16:06 PM »

Probably not, but I have no intention of quitting in the near future.
I'm 68, I'll quit for good in the near future.
I'm  47, with luck I won't quit for a few decades.

I'm 67 and deadlifted 2x bodyweight (and age) today.  I like good scotch, pinot, shiraz and craft beers too much to think about stopping now.
That would be near my best when I was 27.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 05:34:46 PM »
I think that you (and others in this thread) are misunderstanding Steve's words (or are pretending to do so). Advice to 'drink moderately' is not advice to start drinking if one does not, but to moderate one's drinking if one does. I find it hard to believe that anyone could take it otherwise.

The Mayo clinic was concerned enough about the possible ambiguity in the "drink moderately" recommendation to state explicitly that people who do not drink should not start drinking. My post above was not directed specifically at Steve (or you) but was intended to be more grammatically precise. Most people would interpret "drink moderately" to mean, "if you drink, do so in moderation" but it still could be interpreted as meaning that one should drink, and still be consistent with the grammar.

"Drink moderately or not at all" is grammatically more clear and leaves no room for ambiguity.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 06:10:14 PM »
I think that you (and others in this thread) are misunderstanding Steve's words (or are pretending to do so). Advice to 'drink moderately' is not advice to start drinking if one does not, but to moderate one's drinking if one does. I find it hard to believe that anyone could take it otherwise.
Both my wife and her mother were advised to drink one glass of wine per night.

In both cases they drank only on rare occasions. Once a month or less. Never more than one glass.

These were two different doctors in two countries making the recommendations about 10 years apart.

In both cases the one glass per day gradually became two or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline JuniorSpaceman

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 11:53:03 PM »
By a certain measure, I could be considered a world class expert on drinking alcohol ;) , which is why now I never drink alcohol at all. At the same time, I'm happy to be around people drinking, and I have no problem with anyone drinking as much as they're comfortable with, as long as I don't have to deal with the repercussions.

Having said that, I wonder if the 'one drink a day = healthy' idea has the cause and effect around the wrong way. I cannot remember meeting somebody who regularly drinks, but only drinks that amount. I'm not talking about what they tell their doctor or their partner - I'm talking about what they actually have when they feel like drinking. The only people I know who I could imagine drinking one drink per day are people who really don't enjoy or care about drinking at all, so it's as easy for them to stop at one as for most of us to stop at taking one aspirin, or Vitamin tablet.

I wonder if all the benefits of healthy drinking are down to being one of those lucky enough to be able to stop at one. While for those of us for whom one drink will inevitably lead to 3 or 10 or 20, we're out of luck as far as any benefits of drinking.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
I’m not really sure what you mean by ‘enjoy or care about drinking.’  Frankly, it sounds to me like you’re describing alcoholism.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline JuniorSpaceman

• Seasoned Contributor
I’m not really sure what you mean by ‘enjoy or care about drinking.’  Frankly, it sounds to me like you’re describing alcoholism.
No, not at all. I was thinking of it as the opposite of my mother, for example, who feels ill after drinking even a half 'drink' of alcohol, and was stressed when she started hearing that she should drink a glass of wine a day, until I told her that, like me, she's best avoiding it altogether (although for different reasons, obviously). I'm imagining a (possibly non-existent) person who will happily accept a beer if you offer one to them, but then knock back the second, because they've had enough, not because they're monitoring how much to drink before driving, or for some external reason.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
I was under the understanding that drinking might be good for the cardiovascular system but not so good for other parts of the body. I was under the impression that that is why studies say you should drink moderately.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion

Probably not, but I have no intention of quitting in the near future.
I'm 68, I'll quit for good in the near future.
I'm  47, with luck I won't quit for a few decades.

I'm 67 and deadlifted 2x bodyweight (and age) today.  I like good scotch, pinot, shiraz and craft beers too much to think about stopping now.
That would be near my best when I was 27.

I hope I can still do that when I'm 67. I'm at 61 now.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
I do not think that there is strong evidence either for or against moderate drinking. There are hints in either direction, and it may turn out that there is a small negative effect, but I imagine it will be along the lines of the effect of processed meats and significantly less that that of added sugar.

I therefore think that “don’t smoke and drink moderately” is a perfectly fine summary of the state of the science.

Thanks, that is a sensible explanation. :)
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
Yup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Logic goes first, ideas go later, because ideologies can all go awry.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
I went ten years without drinking anything. Then I got married again (#4) and now have an occasional drink. Boss Lady has seen me drunk once in nine years. Other than being on death's door I'm in great shape.  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
I'm imagining a (possibly non-existent) person who will happily accept a beer if you offer one to them, but then knock back the second, because they've had enough, not because they're monitoring how much to drink before driving, or for some external reason.

It me!
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
The only people I know who I could imagine drinking one drink per day are people who really don't enjoy or care about drinking at all...

You don't know enough people. ;) My father enjoyed his one martini every afternoon before supper. He had remarkable self-control. His doctor told him that one drink per day was good for him, but that two would be bad for him. So every afternoon he had his one martini. Never more. He looked forward to it and as the time approached he would watch the clock. He did very much enjoy drinking in moderation. He also quit smoking cold-turkey when his doctor told him he had to quit. Admittedly, he was unusual. Then there was my friend Ana, in Mexico. She drank half a shot of tequila or rum about once a week and enjoyed it tremendously as a special treat. One time we went to a party where there was unlimited free booze. People all around us were getting falling-down drunk. Ana drank one rum and Coke with just half a shot of rum, and then drank nothing but Coca Cola for the rest of the evening. I drank Fanta. My mother drank one glass of sherry most evenings.

But I've known far more people who drink to excess. When I was drinking I would drink steadily all day.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Excessive drinking is unfortunately pretty common.
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

personate-rain