Author Topic: People With Extreme Political Views Have Trouble Thinking About Their Own Thinki  (Read 286 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/people-with-extreme-political-views-have-trouble-thinking-about-their-own-thinking?utm_source=pocket-newtab

So, basically, the more extreme you're political views the more confident you are.  More or less. 

After taking the questionnaire, the first group did a simple test: they looked at two different clusters of dots and quickly identified which group had more dots. Then they rated how confident they were in their choice.

People with radical political opinions completed this exercise with pretty much the same accuracy as moderate participants. But “after incorrect decisions, the radicals were less likely to decrease their confidence,” Fleming says.

Its interesting, not especially surprising, and I'm not entirely sure what it means or if its useful knowledge. 

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
If I'm not mistaken, Steve blogged about this subject a few months ago or so.

I think a weakness with this is that concepts like "moderate" and "extremist" are context-dependent. They differ from time to time, and place to place.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
I just happen to be currently reading this excellent book on Extremism.

It points out all humans have the tribal tendency to divide populations into ingroups and outgroups depending on various factors. One of the hallmarks of extremism is to impose those divisions very starkly along ideological lines. So instead of engaging with ideas that may threaten their ideology, extremists suppress dissent by excising any individuals who don't fall in line with the groupthink. This approach is pretty universal to cults as well as totalitarian countries. In situations where extremists acquire political power, the social exclusion often turns violent.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:50:29 PM by John Albert »

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
If I'm not mistaken, Steve blogged about this subject a few months ago or so.

I think a weakness with this is that concepts like "moderate" and "extremist" are context-dependent. They differ from time to time, and place to place.
Sure but I'm not sure that matters in this case.  What ever time or place you are in, you can have folks that are more or less extreme in that context.   There will likely be a nice bell curve of how folks respond to your series of questions and can define extreme as greater than 2 or 3 standard deviations from the center.    Even if your questions are fairly biased, that will probably be the case. 

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
There's more to an extremist mentality, than simply holding views and opinions that are outside the mainstream.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
There's more to an extremist mentality, than simply holding views and opinions that are outside the mainstream.

There is probably a lot to that.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Recently in the Politics subforum there was a mention of "radical centrism." Doesn't that constitute an overconfidence in preserving the status quo through realpolitik?

If radical centrism can be a thing, then how do we define extreme? Is it the nature of the ideas, or something metacognitive about how the ideologue approaches them?

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
It seems natural that more extreme views would coincide with greater confidence. If I am unsure of my views on a matter, my view tends to more "centrist" and non-committal. This seems kind of a tautology to me.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

personate-rain