Author Topic: Eric Metaxas and other Christians who support Donald Trump  (Read 213 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Eric Metaxas and other Christians who support Donald Trump
« on: October 20, 2019, 02:33:25 PM »
Somehow I stumbled upon this interview with American conservative Christian Eric Metaxas. I recognized the surname because Steve debunked his claim that science provides evidence for the existence of God a few years ago. The title of the interview is pretty self-explanatory:

What Changed Eric Metaxas’ Mind About Trump

Conservative Christians have been a core constituency for President Donald Trump, and one of the more visible Christians supporting the president is bestselling author and radio host Eric Metaxas.

Trinko: I know you get this question a lot, but there’s been a lot of Christian support for President Donald Trump and you’ve been very open about how you’re a supporter of the president. What do you like about him?

Metaxas: I like almost everything about him. He’s, I would say, a very refreshing figure in American politics. And of course, that’s what makes him a disruptor.

Trinko: What I thought was really interesting about your answer was you brought up, of course, Trump’s policies, which most conservative Christians would agree are good, but you also seem to really like his personality.

I thought that’s like the perfect smoke-blowing … and I laughed and I thought to myself, “This is so funny because people are actually expecting this guy from Queens who grew up in the rough and tumble world of New York real estate to be conversant in the Bible.” … The whole thing was funny.

So not only does Metaxas like Trump's policies, he also likes his personality (yes, that odious, repulsive, narcissistic personality). And he seems perfectly happy that this Christian-supported president knows virtually nothing about the Bible.

Jerry Falwell Jr is even more of a Trump supporter. According to him, Trump is the "dream president" for Evangelicals, and that there is nothing Trump could do that would endanger their support.

Trump is probably the least religious American president in a long time (he is probably an apatheist of some sort), it is conceded, and yet they love him anyways. It seems almost cult-like.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Eric Metaxas and other Christians who support Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
American Christianity has turned into a 'naked worship of power' thing and I think this is a result of that.

Meaning shit like:
  • Authoritarians tend to have leadership-style fetishes -- Trump checks those boxes. 
  • Christians tend to be reeaal fucked up about sex and women -- Trump checks those boxes.
The Duggar Scandal from a few years ago (thread) is a good example of their cultural rot.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »
I guess there is something to that. Still it perplexes me that they so strongly and willingly embrace someone who probably couldn't care less about the Bible or their religion.

• Christians tend to be reeaal fucked up about sex and women -- Trump checks those boxes.

But I thought Trump was not effed up about sex and women in quite the same way as your stereotypical Christian. ;)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 06:01:54 AM »
Religion is internally self-contradictory and ultimately open to interpretation. That's why many Christians use their faith to justify their own moral beliefs instead of shaping their morals according to their religion.

"God works in mysterious ways" and similar platitudes can be invoked to support the idea that a greedy, narcissistic sociopath can unwittingly serve as the fulfillment of divine providence.

personate-rain
personate-rain