Author Topic: My Neighbor  (Read 823 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
Re: My Neighbor
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2019, 07:02:34 PM »
Once he was tasked with drawing up a form for use by the department.  Under patient identification, there was a space for ‘Christian name.’  He couldn’t quite understand that not everyone is a Christian, and that ‘given name’ is better.
That's some old timey shit, how old is this guy?  I don't know many christians who call there first* name their "christian" name anymore.

*What we call the given name in the US, or is that more common in elsewhere in the english speaking world?

I hear people refer to their Christian name all the time. It's not a religious thing, any more than the name "Christian" is. It's just what it is called. I prefer "first" name since "given" name excludes those people who have chosen their own names.

That may be true in Australia, but it is not at all true here. I don’t believe I have ever in my life heard anyone refer to their ”Christian” name.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »
I've heard "Christian name" before, mostly from old folks. But it's not common parlance by any stretch. Americans usually call it "first name."

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »
Once he was tasked with drawing up a form for use by the department.  Under patient identification, there was a space for ‘Christian name.’  He couldn’t quite understand that not everyone is a Christian, and that ‘given name’ is better.
That's some old timey shit, how old is this guy?  I don't know many christians who call there first* name their "christian" name anymore.

*What we call the given name in the US, or is that more common in elsewhere in the english speaking world?

I hear people refer to their Christian name all the time. It's not a religious thing, any more than the name "Christian" is. It's just what it is called. I prefer "first" name since "given" name excludes those people who have chosen their own names.

That may be true in Australia, but it is not at all true here. I don’t believe I have ever in my life heard anyone refer to their ”Christian” name.

It may well be a local difference. And of course as time goes by I am hearing it less and less, but it is still pretty common.
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2019, 09:28:11 AM »
Its curious that the US is so much more religious than most of the west, including australia, but we almost never here anyone talk about "christian" names. 

personate-rain