Author Topic: Common Cognitive Distortions  (Read 515 times)

Online lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Common Cognitive Distortions
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 04:59:06 AM »
Is it specific to Americans?

I think not.  I will be ordering th book shortly.  I heard an interview with Jonathan Haidt on RNZ.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 05:33:13 AM »
Is it specific to Americans?

I think not.  I will be ordering th book shortly.  I heard an interview with Jonathan Haidt on RNZ.

Be forewarned: it gives a highly unrepresentative portrait of higher education in the U.S.

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 09:23:49 AM »
Using the principal of charity, I can see how the author made an argument for the idea that America is going down the tubes.

Still, IMO, many many many reasons for a positive outlook were left out. For one, we now know to look out for these risk factors.

And two, VR baby! I'm with the panel on the pod when I say that VR has barely begun to change the world, and that the applications in the worlds of medicine and psychotherapy are mind boggling.

Finally, IMO, the doom and gloom attitude brought on by fear mongering like this is a product of over-intillectualizationitude, and that's a problem that I soooooo identify with. Luckily, I've learned a lot about the ways of the don't-Force-it, and the future's so bright yadda yadda yadda.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Logic goes first, ideas go later, because ideologies can all go awry.

personate-rain